Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
Old 12-16-14, 12:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

SC300 Radiator Flush Tutorial?

Old 01-28-05, 08:06 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Radiator Flush Tutorial?

I've done many searches and I can't find a tutorial on how to flush the radiator in a SC300. Besides the "how-to," how many quarts/gallons of coolant do I need? I'm planning to buy Toyota's pink coolant, is the only place to get it @ the dealership? Thanks.
Old 01-29-05, 08:42 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yours will be very similar to my LS, here's how: http://www.lexls.com/coolant.html
Old 03-12-08, 07:14 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Juuuuuuust to bring this back to life, my car is in dire need of it and there is no way Im going to pay $150 bucks to get it done by someone who is going to do a $50 job, so...are there any DIYs out there, I searched and this thread was the best I could come up with. Turns out its not "very similar" to the LS. Went to the Toyota dealership and all they could tell me was a place to get it done.

Its starting to warm up here, so the fan shroud, radiator flush, and CAI has to happen soon, any help would...help. Thanks.
Old 09-12-08, 07:13 PM
rootaku
Rookie

bump o_o cause I need a DIY on this also >.>..
Old 09-12-08, 09:41 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

the instructions are right on the side of the bottle of flush chemical... there is nothing special about our cars at all...

I do have one thing to mention to LexLS...

get that dexcool out of your car immediately... that stuff causes nothing but problems... every single tech publication we get at work reinforces that... they even went as far as to say that if they were to buy a new GM vehicle, that they would flush the dexcool the second the vehicle came out of warranty...

I have seen nothing but issues with that coolant - it eats away at any plastic, o-rings, seals, and if it is ever low at all, it becomes this milky, chunky mess that clogs up the radiator...

it is a whole different coolant than Toyota's long life coolant, and should ONLY be used in GM vehicles...
Old 10-15-08, 05:19 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those who learn, should teach.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...ur-car-216050/

Done it and this is the most thorough DIY I could find.
Old 01-19-10, 02:49 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to bump up a old thread but i am doing this pretty soon..

All i gotta do is remove radiator cap unscrew the bolt under the radiator and let it drain, then fill with distill water warm up, repeat till clear water comes out then fill it up with toyota's pink coolant? Is there a bleeding bolt or something? i remember when i did it for my 240 there was a bleeder bolt not sure if there is one for the sc.

Also when i opened up the radiator cap the coolant looked brown instead of pink/red.
Is there a coolant plug on the engine block that i have to drain also?

What color coolant do the 1997 sc come with?

Last edited by abounly; 01-19-10 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-31-10, 11:49 PM
98LS4Pimp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Sorry to bump up a old thread but i am doing this pretty soon..

All i gotta do is remove radiator cap unscrew the bolt under the radiator and let it drain, then fill with distill water warm up, repeat till clear water comes out then fill it up with toyota's pink coolant? Is there a bleeding bolt or something? i remember when i did it for my 240 there was a bleeder bolt not sure if there is one for the sc.

Also when i opened up the radiator cap the coolant looked brown instead of pink/red.
Is there a coolant plug on the engine block that i have to drain also?

What color coolant do the 1997 sc come with?
well if your coolant is brown instead of pink/red i would look into a new radiator for your radiator most likely is rotted out...brown coolant is a sign of a rotted out radiator.
Old 01-31-10, 11:51 PM
98LS4Pimp
Driver School Candidate

u also gotta use toyota red coolant and a gallon of distilled water. toyota red is necessary oem coolant is a must.
Old 02-01-10, 06:40 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't like the Toyota red coolant, when i replaced the WP on my GS it looks like the WP and the Cylinder head had rust on them, i didn't like the way it looks so i use the Honda coolant.
Old 02-04-10, 06:12 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am changing out my radiator tomorrow morning, with the one gallon of toyota RED COOLANT and one gallon of DISTILL WATER correct?
Old 03-10-13, 11:20 AM
Ali2JZE
Driver School Candidate

Default Radiator Swap

Ok so I'm about to change out my radiator. The one that i have is rusted out and i know it needs to be changed. The radiator that i have acquired is from a 95 sc3 and I'm putting it on my 92 sc3 everything looks like it will mount up the same before i do this is there anyone that know's id this will work just the same. . . . The Toyota fluid that i see everyone talking about do i have to get that from toyota out can i get it from some where else
Old 03-10-13, 01:30 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Holy old thread batman O_O

You can only get toyota coolant from toyota. You can switch it to green as long as you flush the system completely.
Old 03-10-13, 02:23 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

false. when youre FLUSHING the rad, you dont have to use distilled water, this would be a waste of money.

drain the rad, install the drain plug, fill with regular water, re install cap.
run your system to circulate the water throughtout, drain.
repeat til its clear.
then drain and refill with whatever coolant you want.
color doesnt matter.
you could fill with majority water if you live in a warm climate, but youll want to add something like water wetter to lubricate the water pump and for anti corrosive properties.
Old 03-11-13, 06:40 AM
Ali2JZE
Driver School Candidate

I haven't added any particular coolant just yet. I did the install and now I'm using Peak Super Cleaner*and Flush*for the time being because the previous radiator was so rusted. I hope this crap actually works like i need it to. And i can use any color i choose after the flush what ours the original color that they used in these cars if any one knows.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC300 Radiator Flush Tutorial?