Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

What is the average expected life of head gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 10:22 AM
Roocer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the average expected life of head gaskets?

For a 1992 ES 300 I had my head gaskets replaced around 110,000 miles. 3 years and 30,000 miles later the dealership says I need to replace my head gaskets again.

I already know that standard Lexus warranty is 1 year/unlimited milage for this service. I know my car is already pretty old, but is this something that I shoudl be reparing every 3 years?

How much life should I expect from replaced head gaskets? 5 years? 10 years?
Thanks!
Old 01-21-05, 12:32 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Normally, head gasket should last as long as the engine itself unless the mating surface is pitted or warpped, improper torqued head bolts, inferior gasket material, overheated engine, or unmaintained cooling system.

Why did the tech said you needed new head gasket?

Last edited by hyperopt; 01-21-05 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-22-05, 01:35 PM
saber
Pole Position

The factory original head gaskets are capable of lasting 30-50 years / unlimited miles IF - and that is a HUGE IF - the owner performs preventive maintenance on the cooling system and all other engine systems in a timely manner using factory original parts and coolant. This preventive maintenance stops cooling system corrosion and potential overheating that will shorten the life of the head gasket. .

Unfortunately, the vast majority of owners won't do this and even some Toyota / Lexus dealers may substitute a more profitable aftermarket antifreeze in place of the more expensive genuine Toyota coolant or they may fail to use distilled water in the cooling system. The end result is unpredictable head gasket life. Replacement head gaskets are often less reliable / durable than the factory original ones for a variety of reasons

What can you do? Next time either buy a brand new Toyota / Lexus and maintain it in factory original mechanical condition or buy a used, one-owner Toyota / Lexus that has been maintained in factory original mechanical condition. Since the vast majority of used car shoppers buy on price instead of on service records, they often become entrapped in a revolving circle of automotive poverty.
Old 01-24-05, 09:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Since the vast majority of used car shoppers buy on price instead of on service records, they often become entrapped in a revolving circle of automotive poverty.
Good line!

Why is the dealer telling you you need new head gaskets?
Is compresison low?
Burning oil or losing coolant?

Things like this, you may want to consider a new vehicle as the treadmill of expense will continue to increase.
Old 08-08-05, 07:55 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

o.k. guys.. sorry to bring this post up from the dead... i am guessing i have a Blown Head Gasket.. i been refilling my coolen reseriver for about a month now.. but the oil doesn't look like bad or anything.. and the car over heated twice before.. anyways.. i just wanted to know how much would a local shop charge to change the head Gasket?? and since i'm changing the head gasket. what else should i consider changing ?? also. would it be worth it to change the head gasket or should i just junk my 93 es (got it for 3000bucks).. or put a JMD engine?? thanks guys...
Old 08-09-05, 10:58 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Prior to my 94 LS I had a 89 Toyota Cressida. I did not know it at the time but there was a known problem with the head gaskets in that particular 7mge engine series.

Only found this out after it had blown a head gasket & effectively totaled the vehicle.
Old 08-09-05, 11:59 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
o.k. guys.. sorry to bring this post up from the dead... i am guessing i have a Blown Head Gasket.. i been refilling my coolen reseriver for about a month now.. but the oil doesn't look like bad or anything.. and the car over heated twice before.. anyways.. i just wanted to know how much would a local shop charge to change the head Gasket?? and since i'm changing the head gasket. what else should i consider changing ?? also. would it be worth it to change the head gasket or should i just junk my 93 es (got it for 3000bucks).. or put a JMD engine?? thanks guys...
Pricewise its in the same range as doing a timing belt and water pump- More cost laborwise, but part itself is minimal.

As far as the original post . definately a head gasket should last longer than 3 yrs
- And not to give a hard time,and maybe im wrong. But my guess is that like the first time it happened due to lack of proper care, perhaps the same maintanance habits were resumed ?
Old 08-10-05, 03:09 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

What's a new head gasket cost to replace?
Old 08-16-15, 07:23 PM
Flagship05
Driver School Candidate

I just had mine repaired - was under warranty but Lexus wanted to charge me approx 400-500.00 to fix
Old 11-05-15, 05:06 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I know this is a little old. just wanted to ad a thought about the op's original post. It sounds like maybe when they changed the head gasket the first time. That they may not have decked the heads to make sure they were flat. Any time a head is pulled it should go to the machine shop to get decked. This really true if it is aluminum. The cast iron heads you got away with not doing it . If you laid a straight edge and it looked flat. Aluminum heads just need to be perfect if you want the seal to last.