Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Engine Sludge Issue...

Old 01-24-05, 04:42 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool Amsoil vs. Mobil 1info:

Here is a link that compares Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil 5W 30 grade oil. Enjoy!

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetes...vs_mobil1.aspx
Old 01-27-07, 08:29 PM
lexus1613
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I had the same problem with my 98 GS300

I contacted Lexus as a result of the numerous complaints that have been waged against Lexus and Toyota Motors over these 3.0 V6 engines and my claim was denied. My aggravation stems from my initial complaints to the dealer about the premature failure of the first engine as a result of the excess sludge.

My engine failed on 10/27/2001 on I-10 between Lake City and Jacksonville at 10:00 pm. When the tow truck started rolling the car on the bed a pile of slimy black sludgy oil dropped out and rolled down the bed. The driver took the car to Lexus of Jacksonville and dropped it off. I went to the dealer the next day, addressed my concerns and pleaded with them to look into the oily build up. The service technician said the car was out of warranty; they were not going into the engine and there was nothing he could do but give me a quote for a new engine.

The car remained at the dealership for a few months while the dealer looked for a engine and seeing as though the dealership wanted in excess of $14,000 to replace the engine or $11,000.00 to rebuild the engine, I chose to take the car to The Power Exchange in Jacksonville. In April of 2002, I purchased a core for $1,070.00 from E-Auto Parts and paid The Power Exchange $6,316.53 to repair the engine.

This will be my last Lexus.

Adrian Lofton
Jacksonville, FL

Last edited by lexus1613; 01-27-07 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-28-07, 08:55 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus1613
I contacted Lexus as a result of the numerous complaints that have been waged against Lexus and Toyota Motors over these 3.0 V6 engines and my claim was denied. My aggravation stems from my initial complaints to the dealer about the premature failure of the first engine as a result of the excess sludge.

My engine failed on 10/27/2001 on I-10 between Lake City and Jacksonville at 10:00 pm. When the tow truck started rolling the car on the bed a pile of slimy black sludgy oil dropped out and rolled down the bed. The driver took the car to Lexus of Jacksonville and dropped it off. I went to the dealer the next day, addressed my concerns and pleaded with them to look into the oily build up. The service technician said the car was out of warranty; they were not going into the engine and there was nothing he could do but give me a quote for a new engine.

The car remained at the dealership for a few months while the dealer looked for a engine and seeing as though the dealership wanted in excess of $14,000 to replace the engine or $11,000.00 to rebuild the engine, I chose to take the car to The Power Exchange in Jacksonville. In April of 2002, I purchased a core for $1,070.00 from E-Auto Parts and paid The Power Exchange $6,316.53 to repair the engine.

This will be my last Lexus.

Adrian Lofton
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome to CL. I'm glad you found us. Please tell us more about your 98 GS300 with engine problem, maintenance, how many miles, and how often you change the oil on your car. The 2J engine is one of most reliable and one of the toughest engine out there. I've seen one engine from the GS300 fail in my 10 years with Lexus, but due to lack of maintenance. I mean one oil change every 15k-22k miles on this particular GS300. Finally the car gave up at 81k and the service history show an oil change at 8k, 23k, 46k and 62k.
BTW, this is a 2 years old thread and a 5 years old case of your car.
Old 01-28-07, 09:38 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Welcome to CL. I'm glad you found us. Please tell us more about your 98 GS300 with engine problem, maintenance, how many miles, and how often you change the oil on your car. The 2J engine is one of most reliable and one of the toughest engine out there. I've seen one engine from the GS300 fail in my 10 years with Lexus, but due to lack of maintenance. I mean one oil change every 15k-22k miles on this particular GS300. Finally the car gave up at 81k and the service history show an oil change at 8k, 23k, 46k and 62k.
BTW, this is a 2 years old thread and a 5 years old case of your car.
I concur. The 2J engine can take a beating...

What were the original oil change intervals? Was the car ever overheated? If you can kill a 2JZ motor, then you are one in a million...
Old 01-28-07, 04:53 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Last edited by ServerTech; 04-06-07 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-28-07, 05:09 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ServerTech
This was under the hood of my 1994 ES300

Oii changes at 7,500 miles or 12 months:

Attachment 98341
That's crazy! I've never heard of a 7500 tune-up recommendation from Lexus, anyone else!?
Old 01-28-07, 08:10 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ES3
That's crazy! I've never heard of a 7500 tune-up recommendation from Lexus, anyone else!?
the problem is, to qualify for normal service, you pretty much need to live in a temperate climate year round, not drive in any stop and go driving, not accelerate fast, and not live in any dusty or extreme wet conditions...

almost no one qualifies for that... and thus the recommendations should almost always be followed for severe service rather than normal...

I think this is a common problem...
Old 01-28-07, 10:13 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Then why even print that anywhere on the car without the disclaimer? Surely today's Lexus' won't say anything about a 7500k oil change. Though I think BMW's first oil change (and following intervals) isn't until around 10k or so. Probably because BMW are the ones paying for it.
Old 01-28-07, 10:51 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ES3
Then why even print that anywhere on the car without the disclaimer? Surely today's Lexus' won't say anything about a 7500k oil change. Though I think BMW's first oil change (and following intervals) isn't until around 10k or so. Probably because BMW are the ones paying for it.
because under the basic driving conditions, it works just fine... fact of the matter is, no one reads their manual and what it considers "severe" driving conditions...
Old 01-28-07, 10:53 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
because under the basic driving conditions, it works just fine... fact of the matter is, no one reads their manual and what it considers "severe" driving conditions...
But like you said, few really live in "basic driving conditions" yet it must work, or BMW wouldn't have such a long interval?
Old 01-28-07, 10:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ES3
But like you said, few really live in "basic driving conditions" yet it must work, or BMW wouldn't have such a long interval?
BMW's also require and use full synthetic oils...

Lexus does not require such a thing...

I do my oil changes at 5000, under what I consider severe driving conditions - las vegas desert, stop and go driving, but I use synthetics...
Old 01-28-07, 11:00 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

here's some links:

from about.com:
SEVERE-DRIVING CONDITIONS

Definition: Driving in stop-and-go traffic, frequent short trips, extreme temperatures, or towing and hauling.

here's another:
http://filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/94-1.html

from utah's clean air site:
Severe Driving Conditions

More than 15,000 miles a year under one or more of the following conditions:

* Stop-and-go traffic.
* On snow or ice.
* On hilly terrain.
* In dusty conditions.
* With a trailer/boat in tow.
* In extreme cold and/or heat

and all that searching took just 3 minutes...
Old 01-29-07, 02:26 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
here's some links:

from about.com:
SEVERE-DRIVING CONDITIONS

Definition: Driving in stop-and-go traffic, frequent short trips, extreme temperatures, or towing and hauling.

here's another:
http://filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/94-1.html

from utah's clean air site:
Severe Driving Conditions

More than 15,000 miles a year under one or more of the following conditions:

* Stop-and-go traffic.
* On snow or ice.
* On hilly terrain.
* In dusty conditions.
* With a trailer/boat in tow.
* In extreme cold and/or heat

and all that searching took just 3 minutes...
Yes, I've seen some of that stuff before. Still, back on topic.. I'm shocked Lexus' attorneys ever let a sticker like that appear on the hood. Because I can't imagine people didn't try to actually follow the suggested interval, using regular oil, in non-regular driving situations.
Old 02-04-07, 02:35 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Last edited by ServerTech; 04-06-07 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 07:48 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Special Operating Condition From Lexus Manual

I agree with ServiceTech, Please do NOT assume. Read The Manual and stop giving out false information.

From P71 of my 2000 Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement.
Special Operating Conditions are defined as:

1. Towing a trailer or using a camper or car top carrier.
2. Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in temperatures below freezing
3. Extensive idling or low-speed driving for long distance as in heavy commercial use such as delivery, taxi, or patrol car
4. Operating on rough, muddy, or salt-covered roads
5. Operating on unpaved or dusty road.

According to Lexus, stop and go traffic or frequent short trips do not qualify for Special Operating Condition that demands 5000 miles oil change interval .
Repeated short trips must be in below freezing weather. Extensive idling must be in the same level as those heavy commercial vehicles. In addition, if one also does not tow, go off road, 7500 miles should be followed, according to Lexus.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Sludge Issue...