Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria BAD Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-04, 02:24 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that this was not done properly. But technically, do you have some paperwork saying that OEM spoiler needs to be installed ? More over is the aftermarket different that OEM in shape ? If so you may have a case, but if they look the same then I would suggest not to ruin your relationship with the dealership over $500. after all you have to look at the next 4 years of factory warrranty that you'll have to get from the dealership. In the long run fighting over this might not be the best thing. Had it been something in the thousands then I am sure even Lexus USA would've been involved.
I agree with you that Lexus does sell it's service over mercedes, bmw etc. And for most part I'm sure we all can agree that the service is way better at lexus than at other dealerships. I would suggest you go and talk to the general manager of the dealership or whoever is at the top and tell them your story. The trick is to be polite to them eventhough you know you're not at fault. It's surprising what a nice chat will result in versus an arguement.
good luck and please keep us updated.
Old 12-24-04, 06:19 PM
stoumtj
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Thank you all for your responses...
I have talked to the dealership customer service and the general manager several times...please note that when the vehicle was spec'd the spoiler was at the LEXUS price of $500.00 so like anybody else as well as the BMW and MERCEDES purchases it is a OEM part...The car was delivered first and a week later I droped of the car to have the spoiler installed, then I got back a car dirty full of metal shavings in the back and the excuse "we were very busy to clean it..." then I took it home and noticed the oginal brake light still lighting and being there, then I had to do research to find out that the body brake light should not be there....so it has been a HORRIBLE experience and then I was told it is aftermarket and another company installed it.....so I AM FURIOUS....
I will file a complain with the FAIRFAX county and the BBB and then go to the small claims court and have my lawyer mail a letter....I do not think they will do anything because they are nice until they get the check and they were kissing my... until I paid and after that even service would return my calles a week late...
Thanks again....
Old 12-25-04, 08:34 AM
luckylex
Rookie

What exactly is it that you are looking to get?

As someone noted, the cost of a lawyer far outweighs any claim you are talking about so that it simply isn't a prudent business decision (although your state could have consumer fraud laws that might allow you to recover legal fees and expenses if you were successful in proving the consumer fraud). However, sometimes one letter from your lawyer might get you something (and that doesn't cost much)!

The difficulty here is proving that they did not perform according to your agreement, and if there is no written document stating specifically what was agreed, it is he said/he said situation. A more difficult problem is that you may have nominal damages. I don't know the law in your state and I make no opinion in that regard, but in my state your damage may simply be the difference in value of what they installed versus what they should have installed (and any other damage to the vehicle you could show, i.e., the cost to correct the brake light). In my state, to prove your claim you have to prove damages. You did receive something, and it has value. If there is a breach of an agreement, your damage is your actual loss, which I believe is the difference between what you received and what you should have received (again, at least in my state). So that is the basis for my question asking what it is you are trying to recover. It is not realistic (from a legal perspective) to get all of your money back and keep what you received (unless it has zero value). Now, from a business perspective it would probably be worth their while to make you has happy as can be possible in the circumstance. Maybe your lawyer has different information in your state, or he/she can get something for you.
Old 12-25-04, 09:54 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stoumtj
I do not know how many here live in the Northern Virginia area, but I recently purchased a new 04 GX470 from Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria and I just found out that they installed an aftermarket spoiler in my new car and they didn't even cover the original brake light. Their service takes days to respond and I bought the car loaded and they had one without the spoiler and they said that they can install it!!! I paid LEXUS price for it only to find the car filthy after they install it, the brake light takes in water and NOW they tell me it is aftermarket and it is my problem!!!
I asked them to replace it with OEM since that is what I bought, but they state it is my problem, I should have identify it when the paperwork was done!!!
LEXUS USA customer service says it is a sales issue and will not get involved.
It is my first lexus after BMWs and Mercedes and I got it because of the CLAIMED excellent service...It is unethical to buy a new car, pay for OEM only to find out they installed CHEAP aftermarket option...NEVER seen this before...
My LAST LEXUS...
Any similar experiences??? Is the famed LEXUS service just a business trick???
What that dealership did to you is outrageous. If it was me, I would find a good lawyer and see what the best case result of legal action might be. It's not just the aftermarket spoiler but the deception, poor workmanship and mental anguish. It's no help to you but I too had the spoiler installed by my dealer. It was the OEM part, the original brake light has the cover on it and you would never know that the truck didn't come from the factory that way. If what they did to you happened to me, I'd call the local police department and see what is legal in terms of standing in front of the dealership (maybe with a sign) or talking to customers on the lot. Since I'm retired, I'd have a lot of time to make the dealership miserable. I wouldn't mind driving to another Lexus dealership for future service either. In fact, that's what I do. The closest dealership got pretty upset when I told them I had a better offer when purchasing the GS400 back in 1999, which they weren't interested in matching BTW. So, three vehicles later, I still drive thirty miles round trip further but I am a very satisfied customer and driving the GX is a ton of fun anyway.
Old 12-25-04, 12:06 PM
john5519
Driver School Candidate

stoumtj, hopefully this place (see link below) can be a little help for you, Call them and see if they have a brake light cover for sale seperately. I just ordered and installed an aftermarker spolier from them and it came with a cover.

I know it's not a solution to your Lindsay problem but at least the truck will look finished. I am not even sure what the difference between a real (OEM) and an aftermarket spolier is, other than the hefty price difference (in my case anyway). I looked at an oem one and mine a few days ago and could not tell the difference...

Anyway, here is the link to my post from a few days ago..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...3&page=2&pp=15
Old 12-25-04, 03:39 PM
stoumtj
Driver School Candidate

The issue is the UNETHICAL conduct of the dealership (deception at the LEXUS new vehicle purchase level to save a couple of hundred dollars). I have waisted already several hours with the DEALER and LEXUS USA which at my pay rate would be a lot of money, but I feel that this is a SCAM that they do to all the clueless older people who order cars from them and do not know what they get. When you buy new car at a dealership, even the KIA one, the option are OEM!!!
I do not have to go to the DEALER and watch my back....
That is all....and I will take it as far as it goes....
All I am asking for, as a matter of principle, is an OEM spoiler, even though I am sure 99.9% cannot tell the difference between OEM and aftermarket...

Thanks for your support...
Old 12-25-04, 04:38 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

I agree that the dealerships do make a difference. What was the response of the GM when you spoke to him about this issue ? Write a letter to the dealership to make it official and wait for their written reply. This way you will have some proof if you decide to take the matter to court etc.
Also wrte a letter to Lexus USA and get their reply as well. More paperwork will make a better case for you.
once again good luck. and at the same time I suggest that you don't let a 500 spoiler ruin your new GX ownership experience.
Old 12-26-04, 09:45 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LEXUS USA customer service says it is a sales issue and will not get involved.
Go to WebSite and complain.

http://www.lexusofalexandria.com/

~ Cap
Old 12-27-04, 10:48 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

All I am asking for, as a matter of principle, is an OEM spoiler, even though I am sure 99.9% cannot tell the difference between OEM and aftermarket...
So the spoilers are the same and it's only the principle that matters to you. Well, after reading this thread that was posted (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...3&page=2&pp=15), it appears that the aftermarket spoiler did not come with a brake light cover, but you can disconnect the brake light so it doesn't light up. As you said, the service department was either lazy or very busy (either way, that's no excuse for Lexus as they are known for their service). Probably just a bad dealer. There are bad apples in every barrel, it's just that the Lexus barrel has very few bad apples compared to other brands. I suppose you can pay another mechanic to disconnect the brake light and then bill (and probably sue) the dealer to get them to pay for it.

Regarding the lack of a brake light cover, you should have got this considering you spent a lot of money on your car. What does your sales contract exactly say about the spoiler, e.g. aftermarket or OEM? If it says OEM, you should have got an OEM spoiler with the cover, therefore you have a very good claim against them since the difference between an aftermarket spoiler and an OEM is the lack of the brakelight cover, which is only available with the OEM spoiler and that's another $500. It's not the principle in this case, it's the expense. You can argue that it's the principle, but legally, it comes down to this: what's the difference (aside from the lack of the cover)? That's why you must argue it's the extra $500 needed to get the brakelight cover.

If it says aftermarket, you got what you contracted for. Very few people know that aftermarket spoilers don't come with the cover. Anyways, why should you get anything less from a Lexus dealer and after spending a lot of money on your car? Sometimes dealers are like that. For example, if you want chrome rims, the dealer gets/installs them but they are aftermarket (you can only tell by looking at the casting on the inside of the rims). I know that some people with the GS have these OEM look-a-likes (I do). Since you got what you contracted for, you are left with very few choices. You can cause so much bad publicity that they change their minds, do the same with Lexus of USA (although they aren't obligated to do so), or you can disconnect the brake light and have the original brakelight painted. It stinks, but sometimes you run into bad people at very reputable companies.

I hope it works out for you. Let us know if there are any updates on the situation. Good luck Oh, and don't let this bad apple ruin your perception of Lexus, overall they offer the best products and service.

Last edited by LB Lex; 12-27-04 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 11:17 PM
Traveler
Driver School Candidate

Default "I feel your pain"

I live in No.VA, too and have delt with them. And I do not like them either.

But first the defense of their practices. A lot of people like the dealership family they belong to. The owner has been doing this a great many years. The problem you are experiencing is definitely a dealership and not a Lexus problem (not that this information helps any other than narrow who you lean on).

I suggest you write a letter to the owner and cc the GM. Include your version of the facts and all (if any) documents you have. Include cancelled checks if that is appropriate. Name names if you feel someone misrepresented.

Remember, though it is not your fault, there service department is the smallest of the four Lexus dealers in the DC area. That may be a problem, too. Of course, that does not forgive them, but it may point a finger as to why things went down like they did.

My personal story is old. When I first went to them in 1991 to purcahse a LS-400, I was very young and just able to afford the car. I would have been happy with a used one. This would have been the second car I purchased.

The salesman spent some time with my wife and I and said that essentially he was richer than we were and the house he was planning was larger and pretty much we were not Lexus people. He also said that if I ever get a Lexus, I should go by and show it to him.

Fair enough. Obviously, we left.

Well, I still live in the same house. Still have the same wife. But I now own 3 Lexus: LS-400, SC-300 five speed and an LX-470. And some other vehicles.

I strongly support the good folks at Silver Spring Lexus for both sales and service.

Pohanka is not so hot. Rockville is good but very crowded.

I never went by the Alexandria guy. Didn't need to. I didn't get the cars to impress but to drive.

Jerk.

I hope you get a break. The owner has a good reputation in Alexandria business circles.

Write him. Good luck.
Old 12-28-04, 04:59 AM
stoumtj
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again...we do enjoy the car....
HAPPY NEW YEAR WITH HEALTH TO ALL OF YOU!!!

Last edited by stoumtj; 12-29-04 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-30-04, 03:04 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Let us know what happens next..and Happy New Years to you too!!!