Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Specialty tools needed to remove crank shaft bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 01:23 PM
jld2huva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specialty tools needed to remove crank shaft bolt?

I recently dropped my '99 Lexus GS300 off a local franchised repair shop for the 90K service. I considered going to the Lexus shop, but this guy has serviced all my other vehicles (non-Lexus) in the past and I've never had any problems. They are replacing my water pump and timing belt, but they had a problem getting the bolt off the crankshaft. They tried using an impact wrench, but it wouldn't move. They claim that they had to get in a special part in order to get this off.

Does this sound right? Has anyone else had this problem? I'm trying to sort out whether or not this is a load of B.S.
Old 12-08-04, 06:56 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldnt consider it a "special" tool.... but a chain wrench is what i would use (and have). It wraps around the crank shaft, so you can hold it, and put a wrench with a pipe on it to crack it loose. The shop youre using should have one of those, its a pretty standard shop tool in my opinion. They must also use weak impact guns My gun has never had a problem taking off crank bolts, and i cant count the number of t-belts ive done...
Old 12-08-04, 07:25 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Specialty tools needed to remove crank shaft bolt?

Originally posted by jld2huva
I recently dropped my '99 Lexus GS300 off a local franchised repair shop for the 90K service. I considered going to the Lexus shop, but this guy has serviced all my other vehicles (non-Lexus) in the past and I've never had any problems. They are replacing my water pump and timing belt, but they had a problem getting the bolt off the crankshaft. They tried using an impact wrench, but it wouldn't move. They claim that they had to get in a special part in order to get this off.

Does this sound right? Has anyone else had this problem? I'm trying to sort out whether or not this is a load of B.S.
On the 2jz engine( I-6) the crank shaft bolt is very tight . The only way you can get the bolt loose on the 2jz is to use a pry bar and hold the pry bar against flywheel, while another guy use a long breaker bar to loose the crankshaft bolt. Like RTCameroSS stated that sometimes you have to use a long pipe to help the breaker bar.
Old 12-09-04, 02:18 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have pulled my timing belt 5 times to replace various parts, but every single time that I did it I had to set a breaker bar and a cheater pipe on the ground and hit the starter. I have a 650lbs Ingersol Rand impact wrench and it never broke the bolt loose. I tried everything, including the Toyota specialty tool. Anyone want to buy one? Use the tried and true mechanics trick. The starter has the force and leverage needed. Quit trying other things before you round out the bolt or break something major.
Old 12-09-04, 02:36 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by Camshaft
I have pulled my timing belt 5 times to replace various parts, but every single time that I did it I had to set a breaker bar and a cheater pipe on the ground and hit the starter. I have a 650lbs Ingersol Rand impact wrench and it never broke the bolt loose. I tried everything, including the Toyota specialty tool. Anyone want to buy one? Use the tried and true mechanics trick. The starter has the force and leverage needed. Quit trying other things before you round out the bolt or break something major.
i was going to suggest the starter trick... but ive seen bad things in the past, so i decided to give the safer options. ive seen cracked starters and broken bolts before... although i still use the trick myself when my gun cant get it off. Im using the IR titanium 1/2 inch gun... they claim 1000ft lbs in reverse... ive only had a couple bolts i couldnt get off with this gun.... and they were on HIGH milage cars where loc-tite had been previously used.

Last edited by RTIS250; 12-09-04 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-09-04, 05:51 AM
jld2huva
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. We're going to try to fabricate a tool similar to the specialty Toyota tool and if that doesnt' work we'll go to the breaker bar.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-10-04, 02:34 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked around and very few if any shops had a 1000lbs impact wrench, and I tried renting it. Never worked. Too much torque put down by that large inline six. Tried the jamming the fly wheel trick too. I have heard horror stories too, mostly from domestic car owners, but the cost of a new starter was nothing compared to other options. The stock starter is pretty stout.
Old 12-10-04, 06:29 AM
SC300-95-TMM
Driver

Originally posted by RTCamaroSS
i was going to suggest the starter trick... but ive seen bad things in the past, so i decided to give the safer options. ive seen cracked starters and broken bolts before... although i still use the trick myself when my gun cant get it off. Im using the IR titanium 1/2 inch gun... they claim 1000ft lbs in reverse... ive only had a couple bolts i couldnt get off with this gun.... and they were on HIGH milage cars where loc-tite had been previously used.
Well I have used the starter trick myself. Me being an M.E. , I said to myself "get the right tool for the job because thats what they made them for". Well after 6 pages of engineering calculations, I saw that the starter trick develops a whopping amount of torque and is a viable way of doing it. Well i laid the breaker bar against the car frame and blipped the starter. She broke loose to my amazement. Just be careful about the breaker bar getting loose or out of line.

Later

ps. oh I actually I did 6 pages of calculations...I wrote "go for it, don't do it, go for it, don't do it...."
Old 12-10-04, 02:29 PM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by Camshaft
I I tried everything, including the Toyota specialty tool. Anyone want to buy one?
If you are serious about email me your price at verlaryder@yahoo.com
Old 12-11-04, 03:39 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

do the starter trick,(will take two seconds) dont waste your time fabricating anything.
Old 12-11-04, 04:02 PM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by aliga
do the starter trick,(will take two seconds) dont waste your time fabricating anything.
Yes I know the starter trick works - most of the time. But like RTCamaroSS said, I'd rather not take a risk of ending up with "cracked starters and broken bolts" if I can avoid it. Also, I think the Toyota specialty tool would be helpful when reinstalling and retorquing the crank bolt
Old 12-11-04, 08:23 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just went through this on a Cressida, i had to use a impact wrench on it.
Old 12-11-04, 10:30 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The starter trick won't work on this situation. Put a breaker bar on that thing and have 4 guys pull on it. We broke 5 breaker bars so far but this is the only way to get the 22mm bolt out. Have fun.
JPI
Old 12-11-04, 11:42 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah i'd say heavy duty breaker bar and a strong mallot, then get some big guys to meat head it.
Old 12-12-04, 06:49 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default THE STARTER TRICK DOES WORK ON GS

Hello,
I can attest to the starter trick working on a GS4....MINE. I changed my timing belt on my 99 GS4 last year...just before the car was totalled. The starter trick has worked on every Toyota I have ever worked on for the last 30 years. I try the impact tools and when they fail, I use the starter. There has never been any kind of starter damage.

You have to do something when you have all accessories removed, and the one bolt is standing in the way of getting the job done. It is quick, and you canget back to work .

Last edited by gserep1; 12-12-04 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Specialty tools needed to remove crank shaft bolt?