Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

How loud/quiet are your windshield wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-04, 10:31 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Default How loud/quiet are your windshield wipers?

I think my windshield wipers are too loud. When they reach the top and start going down they make a lot of noise. I can't tell if it's the blade refills or the mechanical parts of the wiper assembly. When I drive the other car (Accord) I realize how quiet it is. You can hardly hear them. The ones on the SC, however, feel like I'm driving an old Chevy.

I would like to know how loud/quiet everybody's wipers are.

BTW, I have replaced them recently. They are OEM.

Ed

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-29-04, 01:16 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean, like squeky loud? Mines squeks only when the wiper are worn out, but after replacement, it's quiet.
Old 09-29-04, 06:11 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wax your windshield

Ed, it sounds to me that your windshield could use a coat of polish/wax to eliminate the noise from your wipers. I make it a habit to apply wax to the windshield once every 2-3 months, and my year-old wipers still operate nicely like they came out of a showroom. BTW waxing your windshield is one of the many "insider" detailing tips used by many professional auto detailers
Old 09-29-04, 12:39 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Time to get the wax out of the trunk.

Thanks Doug. I'll give it a try.

Ed
Old 09-29-04, 04:39 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine are absolutely silent.
I use the rubber/teflon inserts from the lexus parts counter.
I tried PIAA wipers which were as silent but 3x the price.
Once I tried getting the inserts from Toyota thinking that they would be the same as the ones at Lexus. They were NOT. The ones from the Toyota dealer where just the black rubber ones like Bosch, Trico, or Anco that you get at Autozone. The Lexus ones were not black and the rubber felt softer.

I just replace mine with Lexus ones every 6-12 months.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 09-30-04 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-30-04, 03:55 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I just replace mine with Lexus ones every 6-12 months.
I've had my PIAA SuperSilicones on for 2 years now without replacing the blades. Still no streaks/squeaks so the cost over Lexus blades is defrayed by their (so far) longer life.
Old 09-30-04, 10:58 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

I am sure the lexus blades would go longer, I just choose to swap them out at a year.
They are $8 vs the PIAA $24. New England winters are hell on wiper blades, too.

whatever floats your boat. Both the Lexus and PIAA blades are/were silent, though.

steviej
Old 09-30-04, 12:11 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

New England winters are hell on wiper blades, too.
Jeez, I bet. I agree with your solution for your climate. Down here we get more UV/ozone degradation with blades ending up stiff and streaking. Fwiw, our previous RX300 would eat T/L blades about every 6 mos. I changed HER vehicle to PIAAs in desperation and enjoyed blessed silence from then on. No such issues with HER 330, tho. (And it was a problem that seemed to be peculiar to our 300; no other owner I talked with ran into similar problems.)
Old 09-30-04, 11:30 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Lexus wiper inserts also give a "thunk" when they reach the top. I bought them at my Lexus dealer, but the inserts all have "TOYOTA" on them. So I am not sure if they are really different from Toyota's. Maybe the price.

I used to buy cheap aftermarket blades from Target & Walmart. They worked fine, just wore out sooner than I wanted (less than 6 months.) So I decided to try the OEM inserts again a few weeks ago. Frankly I am disappointed thus far. The rear one was squeeking loudly so I put the old aftermarket blade back. The driver side had two very thin streaks already. I triple-checked my installation of course.

Waxing the windshield? First time I ever heard of that one. I don't think I want to try that, but good luck with it.
Old 10-01-04, 02:04 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

And it was a problem peculiar to HER 300; no other owner I talked with ran into similar problems.
Except HarrierAWD.
Old 10-02-04, 05:15 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

i noticed a huge difference in my Lexus OEM wipers when i got my 120K service done!....did anyone notice the right wiper blade is curved on the SC?

CEO
Old 10-05-04, 09:22 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I use moderately expensive Bosch wipers on my 94 LS400 and they are silent.

damon
Old 10-10-04, 08:25 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the premium Bosch Microedge wipers from Autozone (around 8-10 bucks per wiper). Wax my windshield once every 6 months, and use 303 Aerospace protectant on the wiper blades about as often. So far the blades have lasted me 1.5 years and they are still as silent and effective as day one.

I don't think it's the wiper as much as it is the wax/303, though.
Old 10-10-04, 10:16 PM
LexFather

Out of all the Lexus, never been an issue. When there was, the wiper was simply worn and needed replacing.
You will notice Lexus wipers go under the hood out of site. This helps aerodynamics and eliminates extra noise in front.
Another thing to notice. Drive a Lexus in the rain and see how the wipers take rain off 95% off the windshield. Drive other cars in the rain, or when your in a friends car. Notice how much less the wipers take off the windshield...
Lexus, it's the details.....
Old 10-12-04, 06:31 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

After 5 years my windshield wiper blades started to fray. I contemplated getting a quick "replacement", but loved how quiet and streakless my wipers had been. I consulted the Lexus service which said that the Lexus blades had a special coating. I would attest to that. They did say that they had to replace the arms as well as blades, but it wasn't exhorbitantly expensive and the new ones work great. It's well worth the investment.In NJ we get a fair share of rain, sleet, and snow. The wipers have to work hard.

Quick Reply: How loud/quiet are your windshield wipers?