Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

600,000 miles without using synthetic oils or aftermarket oil & air filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-05, 09:51 AM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mburnickas
Just to close the emissions checks are nothing short of a joke. I live in MA and they are right behind CA and just because the car passes does not mean it is any better then another car.
One of the most effective ways to measure the mechanical wear and tear in a motor is with an emissions test. A 400,000+ mile motor that still has very low emissions and still has like new engine compression doesn't have much mechanical wear . Using factory original lubes, parts, fluids and filters is the most reliable and risk free way to achieve a durability feat like that..

Using 12,000+ mile oil change intervals, aftermarket antifreeze and other stuff like you do introduces unnecessary and avoidable risk factors. If you were the mechanic in charge of the maintenance of Dubbya;s Air Force One 747 do you think the secret service would allow you to experiment with extended lube change intervals and use non-Boeing parts and filters?
Old 03-06-05, 10:04 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saber
One of the most effective ways to measure the mechanical wear and tear in a motor is with an emissions test. A 400,000+ mile motor that still has very low emissions and still has like new engine compression doesn't have much mechanical wear . Using factory original lubes, parts, fluids and filters is the most reliable and risk free way to achieve a durability feat like that..
I did not know a fuel pump, distributor, etc has anything to do with mechanical functions. either they work or do not. They have nothing to do with emissoins. Again, a water pump can go anytime if you understand the design process, how it is built, manufactured, process control etc. Same thing goes for EGR, rads etc. Example, my old 5.0 mustang was driven fast and no problems ever, My Lexus is no where near driven the same and needed and EGR so far.

Using 12,000+ mile oil change intervals, aftermarket antifreeze and other stuff like you do introduces unnecessary and avoidable risk factors. If you were the mechanic in charge of the maintenance of Dubbya;s Air Force One 747 do you think the secret service would allow you to experiment with extended lube change intervals and use non-Boeing parts and filters?
First off if you READ anything online, I compared a simple Mobil 1 oil (better then Lexus oil) and was drained at 4K miles on an ES. Next I posted my oil change and compared results, and even posted them. Again, a little reading and understanding you will see that the results are very close and mine are better in most areas.

Next, I design aerospace parts and for starters they do use non-boeing parts on aircraft. The engines are not Boeing. There are P&W, Rolls or GE. Again, I would not even go there since I work on the stuff day in and day out and so far you are dead wrong. Boeing makes all the parts..ROFLMAO! They are the air frame people, that is it!

So you can use the OEM coolant in rad, OEM oil (which is not made by Lexus), OEM air in tires, OEM tires blah blah. But next time do somehome work or better yet post some data and not a little comical pix on your website either. So far OEM is for people that do not understand there car or do not want to look for better items at the same price or cheaper. Or they want to feel safe since it has an OEM label on it.

You crack me up.

Last edited by mburnickas; 03-07-05 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-06-05, 10:26 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Saber-

Just so you know, Toyota oil is made by Exxon/Mobil; which makes all of Toyota's products except for coolant which I found out.

The oil in there cars is currently Mobil Drive Clean oil. The old OEM oil was made by Kendall.

Did you ever see the oil tests (virgin) of Mobil Drive Clean oil.? If you did you would know why there oil is not that great.
Old 03-06-05, 02:33 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

In addition, I beleive ALL air craft (especially commercial size air craft, which would include President Bush's Air Force One) use synthetic fluids simply because of the extreme temperatures they have to tolerate (mainly extreme cold in high altitudes). I doubt however the white house will tell ya for security reasons what brand of synthetic oil is actually used.
Old 03-06-05, 08:12 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
I doubt however the white house will tell ya for security reasons what brand of synthetic oil is actually used.
I am guessing: Hallerburton

steviej
Old 03-06-05, 08:18 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steviej

steviej
nope, probably Mobil or BP turbine oil.
Old 03-06-05, 09:33 PM
saber
Pole Position

Saber-
Just so you know, Toyota oil is made by Exxon/Mobil; which makes all of Toyota's products except for coolant which I found out. The oil in there cars is currently Mobil Drive Clean oil. The old OEM oil was made by Kendall.
Toyota oil uses a number of different refiners. Each refiner must make Toyota oil to Toyotas specifications. Here's what it says on Lexus's website:

Lexus Engine Oil used in the Factory

Question: What engine oil does Lexus use at the factory?

Corporate Lexus's Answer:
Lexus uses the following refiners for engine oil installed at the factory:
Exxon Mobil
Idemitsu
Japan Energy
Nisseki Mitsubishi
Old 03-06-05, 10:24 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Red face

Originally Posted by steviej

steviej
LOL steviej!

As per your recommendation on LOC on the dino vs. synthetic issue (between myself, sabre - AKA Monarch & mburn at least), I have no more comments on this subject It's beating a dead horse.
Old 03-06-05, 11:11 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

amen

Zorg
Old 03-07-05, 03:34 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Toyota oil uses a number of different refiners. Each refiner must make Toyota oil to Toyotas specifications. Here's what it says on Lexus's website:

Lexus Engine Oil used in the Factory

Question: What engine oil does Lexus use at the factory?

Corporate Lexus's Answer:
Lexus uses the following refiners for engine oil installed at the factory:
Exxon Mobil
Idemitsu
Japan Energy
Nisseki Mitsubishi
#1 I trust a website like I trust the morons at Wal-mart.
#2 The info I got was from an oil rep that supplies the manufacture with the oil.
#3 The website also says I should not switch back and forth with oils. Little behind the times, about 15 years!
Old 03-07-05, 03:38 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
LOL steviej!

As per your recommendation on LOC on the dino vs. synthetic issue (between myself, sabre - AKA Monarch & mburn at least), I have no more comments on this subject It's beating a dead horse.

I wonder if Saber only buys, Toyota/Lexus gas for his car. If not, he will get more mechanical wear from the fuel pump. Or if he uses non-OEM tires and air you will get flat tires.

Lastly, you better use only Lexus wax and Lexus powersteering fluid or your steering will not be as good and durable. I wonder if Lexus has a OEM glass cleaner for the windows? How about Leuxs OEM car scent?

Edited to keep the spelling police and English teachers happy! Some people have nothing better to do with their time.....

Last edited by mburnickas; 03-07-05 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 08:21 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

I wonder if Saber only buys, Toyota/Lexus gas for his car. If not, he will get more mechanical wear from the fuel pump. Or if he uses non-OEM tires and air you will get flat tires.

Lastly, you better use only Lexus wax and Lexus powersteering fluid or your steering will not be as good and durable. I wonder if Lexus has a OEM glass cleaner for the windows? How about Leuxs OEM car sent?
Old 03-07-05, 01:03 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

How about Leuxs OEM car sent?
Car sent??? Do you mean the past tense of the verb, to send (sent) or do you really mean the noun, scent (as in how something smells)? Sometimes the calibre of the English diction, syntax, grammar, and spelling used on this forum is atrocious.
Old 03-07-05, 01:08 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DetMich1
Car sent??? Do you mean the past tense of the verb, to send (sent) or do you really mean the noun, scent (as in how something smells)? Sometimes the calibre of the English diction, syntax, grammar, and spelling used on this forum is atrocious.
I did not know spelling will be graded? Sometimes people worry about the spelling over the topic at hand.

As my college teachers said when I got my BSME, "if an engineer is good in spelling, you are in the wrong field".

Last edited by mburnickas; 03-07-05 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 01:41 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

I did not know spelling will be graded? Sometimes people worry about the spelling over the topic at hand.

As my college teachers said when I got my BSME, "if an engineer is good in spelling, you are in the wrong field".
Maybe so, but communication skills are important, especially if you want to be clearly understood. BTW in your last post, you have grammatical errors as well. Should have said:
"I did not know spelling WOULD be graded"
Maybe I spent too many years in college getting multiple degrees.

Quick Reply: 600,000 miles without using synthetic oils or aftermarket oil & air filters