Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need advice on oil for my new SC430

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 02:40 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AudiJunkie writes:

""specially selected base stocks and additive package of genuine Toyota Motor Oil"

This has GOT to be a joke. What do you have to back up this claim, a glossy TOYOTA brochure? lol
What can YOU tell us about those adds and basestock? rotflmmfao"

.............................................................................................................................................................................

OK Wal-Mart Shopper, otherwise known at BITOG as "AudiJunkie." As a self proclaimed Audi/oil expert, please respond with the correct manufacturer and their proprietary specification for Audis factory ATF fill for their tiptronic 5 speed automatic transmission fluid used in the quattro drivetrains. Let's say we're talking about a 2000 S4 biturbo with an automatic transmission. Here's your big chance to demonstrate your BITOG expertise, give us the specification, and tell us where to buy the fluid at a significant discount as opposed to Audi dealer. (it is doable, I'll answer you at my convenience if you can't figure it out )

<you Google guys with nothing else to do might want to try this too>

Warning: AudiAG clearly states that using the wrong fluid WILL void the warranty and damage the transmission.

I am also rotflmfao knowing that you don't have a glossy brochure either. All you have are test reports that you don't understand, that have been interpreted by someone you don't know, who give you advice with no guarantee, and, that's good enough for you.<laughing> Audi automatic transmissions cost about $8,000 plus installation if your wrong. The guy who sells the new one will also be rotflhfao.

Chumley
Old 06-11-04, 04:06 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by Chumley

Thank you, Doctor, that's a very interesting analysis. I did notice that BITOG promptly pulled your initial thread that generated this. After taking 2 years of college level chemistry, a year of physics and 2 years of other college level lab science, 3 years of advanced math, oh, did I mention that I graduated with highest honors, and currently have an engineering degree with over 20 years of engineering experience. That might say something about your "diagnosis" concerning "my limited ability to learn(about oil)." Actually you are correct. I choose very carefully WHERE and WHO I learn from. Sorry, but so far, you've yet to make the grade. None of this has impaired my sense of humor though. Keep up the good work! I've still got that heavy pipe. I don't want to, but I'm not afraid to use it. Pitbull, please don't make me!

Chumley
Chumley you sound like a well educated guy. I only have a BA with a 3.85 GPA but you know that isn't that tough with a BA. Did some extra business course work at Harvard but no hard science work like you, (my company paid for the Harvard classes). I had a lot of well educated people work for me throughout the years, many with Masters degrees. I alway found an open mind more appealing then an educated mind. I promoted the open minded ones faster than the ones that could not think outside the box. Most people can be taught to think outside the box and I alway felt like that was my job as a leader, to teach and also to learn (from everyone). I've been lucky in my life and was able to retire in my 40's. I alway felt like I "made" part of that luck by being able to take in a great deal of information and then make the correct decision, along with surrounding myself with talanted people. I'm trying to learn more about oil and feel the members of BITOG are knowledgeable and a great resource. If you will read my provious post I did not say you had a limited ability to learn. I stated that "you" (your attitude) were limiting your ability to learn. You know "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink". I would never want to insult your "ability" to learn, I don't even know you. I would just suggest that you lighten up and open up, hey you might even learn something new.
Old 06-11-04, 06:58 PM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by motorguy22
If you honestly think that BITOG is a site for salesman you are in desperate need of help..BITOG is not a specialty American motor oil salesman site.
What does the BITOG site exist for? Just to provide free public service type information about lubes? Or to provide a 5-6 figure annual income for the owner, administrators, moderators and sponsors? Did you see this post today from the 58Vetteman administrator?: "If you are not a paying Sponsor on BITOG, please limit your posting. We have Site Sponsors paying the bills here, and I don't need any renegade, pseudo, subliminal selling on the board. Please read the Forum Rules, and if I can decipher that you are a Sales Rep either through your email address, link to your home/company sites or postings, you will not be welcome on this board." Sounds like tough talk to me from someone who wants the BITOG site to be generating the maximum $$$ income possible for the owner, administrators, moderators and sponsors.
Old 06-11-04, 07:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys, let's keep this thread on topic and civil please. It is not a discussion about the BITOG site members, policies, etc.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-11-04 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-11-04, 08:30 PM
AudiJunkie
Driver School Candidate

Chumley, your post makes no sense. Are you trying to compare GT oil to G-052-162-A2 ATF Fluid? The main difference is you can substitute any API SL oil for GT oil, no substitue is available for Audi fluid in the USA, except maybe Bilstien fluid and Pennzoil Universal ATF claims "ZF" certs. I don't recommend anything other than Audi fluid and I don't have to read the tech sheets, that's what the specs are for, and if they meet them, they are clearly displayed on the label. GT oil has specs too, the same API SL that every other $.99c motor oil meets. Will GT oil meet VW 505, 502, 503.01? Maybe I should substitute GT oil in in my RS6 that cannot use ANY other oil as per mfg 505.01 spec. Are you getting this? I know every VW oil spec and what it is for and why, Mercedes too. Is this all necessary? All I have to do is drop my car at my best friend's BOSCH Service Center, he can read the tech sheets for me and he gives below dealer price on the G-052-162-A2 ATF Fluid. What's the problem?

You sound stupidly arrogant touting your alleged education when you have nothing substantilal to add in terms of the dicipline of Tribology. I believe my degree from U. Penn in H&SS lends itself to tribological issues, but I don't make it a central theme at BitOG. In reality, any greaser can talk oil and have constructive insights, just not with you.

Saber, you should start your own oil forum and get rich. I am sure the guys can think of more than a few good names for it.

Last edited by AudiJunkie; 06-11-04 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-11-04, 08:40 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

Chumley you sound like a well educated guy. <thank you> I only have a BA with a 3.85 GPA but you know that isn't that tough with a BA. Did some extra business course work at Harvard but no hard science work like you, (my company paid for the Harvard classes). <that's obvious> I had a lot of well educated people work for me throughout the years, many with Masters degrees. I alway found an open mind more appealing then an educated mind. <good, your preference> I promoted the open minded ones faster than the ones that could not think outside the box. <good idea, depending on the company. I still say 2 +2 = 4. If your creative accountant says otherwise, I'm working in the wrong place anyway> Most people can be taught to think outside the box <really> and I alway felt like that was my job as a leader, to teach and also to learn (from everyone). I've been lucky in my life and was able to retire in my 40's. I alway felt like I "made" part of that luck by being able to take in a great deal of information and then make the correct decision, along with surrounding myself with talanted people. <good. Your initial comments to Saber clearly establish your "corporate moxy" on this thread.> I'm trying to learn more about oil and feel the members of BITOG are knowledgeable and a great resource. <good> If you will read my provious post I did not say you had a limited ability to learn. <really, maybe you should reread what you wrote> I stated that "you" (your attitude) were limiting your ability to learn. You know "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink". <I think so too> I would never want to insult your "ability" to learn, I don't even know you. <you've all ready done that> I would just suggest that you lighten up and open up, hey you might even learn something new.

<It's just so interesting to me with that "education" you would allow unqualified lab rats to teach you hydrocarbon chemistry, or think that you could learn it at a "website." I had to get accepted, then pay, and then work my butt off 3 hours a day 6 days a week for 2 years to learn it. But, I realize, I'm just an idiot who got screwed compared to what you get for free at BITOG. I'm totally open to those who have gone beyond me, less so towards those who never even started.>

..................................................................................................................

Lighten up? I'm all ready laughing. What else should I do? A belly laugh, maybe choke on my own spit, go test my lug bolts? Would that satisfy you? <still laughing>

Pitbull, I don't care what your education or experience is. You (or your support staff @ BITOG) have yet to answer or challenge any of what I have previously written in this thread. When and if you do that, I'm all ears. Nice try! Why did they delete your corresponding thread @ BITOG? You remind me of a huge body builder type guy who walks into a tennis match thinking everybody is going to score the match based on your "appearance." (because that's what they do in the gym) Then some 14 year old girl comes out and aces your butt 3 sets in a row. You walk off making excuses and holding your nuts! Don't worry, I've got a website and a group of others that will test them!

Pitbull: Lets end this conversation, clearly as a "retired educated experienced executive/manager," you've alienated your "BITOG team" and have nothing else of value to add on your own. I clearly won't change your mind, and I have no further interest in learning about what's in yours. I'm totally open to oil issues discussed by professional people with Masters Degrees in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engneering, Physics, Lubrication Theory etc. You won't find those "experts" @ BITOG no matter how hard you look! They are all working for the major manufacturers or have their own serious consulting businesses. I can't wait to hear what AudiJunkie has to say.

"What else can I say to this guy?" <that's a rhetorical question but is should sound familiar>

Chumley.
(I'm a self employed design engineer. Since I start every project with a blank piece of paper, there is no box, so initially it's impossible for me to to think inside or outside of it, however, If I run my car out of oil, or fail to change it regularly, the engine still screws up, that box is all ready well defined, but not by me)
Old 06-12-04, 09:01 AM
motorguy22
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by saber
What does the BITOG site exist for? Just to provide free public service type information about lubes? Or to provide a 5-6 figure annual income for the owner, administrators, moderators and sponsors? Did you see this post today from the 58Vetteman administrator?: "If you are not a paying Sponsor on BITOG, please limit your posting. We have Site Sponsors paying the bills here, and I don't need any renegade, pseudo, subliminal selling on the board. Please read the Forum Rules, and if I can decipher that you are a Sales Rep either through your email address, link to your home/company sites or postings, you will not be welcome on this board." Sounds like tough talk to me from someone who wants the BITOG site to be generating the maximum $$$ income possible for the owner, administrators, moderators and sponsors.
To Begin with saber,you have once again distorted the truth.The above letter on the BITOG site 'PLAINLY' states that this letter is to "Oil Salesman",you seemed to have conveniently left this part out.I can post the original letter if you like?

Saber,my name on BITOG site is motorguy222,I am not a paying sponsor nor have I ever paid anything to the BITOG site nor have I ever bought or been pressed or asked to buy 'ANYTHING'.I am not an oil salesman nor have I ever been.I have never been told to limit my posts and I have several there.If you will read the Vetteman letter again he is really talking to those that come to the site and try to 'sell' a certain oil without registering as being an oil salesman.That is fair,if you are an oil salesman,then you should have to register as such.Saber,here are a couple of things that I cant figure out though.First,you say that the people on BITOG site are 'ALL' specialty oil salesman.If so,what are they doing? selling oil to each other? The site has a few thousand members,there is now way to generate the income you speak of for the sponsors or the administrators etc. of the site with their so called 'oil sales' that may,I say may happen.At any given time,there are usually just 600-700 people on the site and that includes the members .It seems that to any person that really looks at what they are seeing could 'see' that it would be safe to say that 99% of the oils that are discussed on BITOG are what 'YOU' and I can buy anywhere.These are oils that are not bought from a salesman nor are they made by some specialty oil company.BITOG is a site for those people that are really into finding a good oil,it is a 'novelty' site so to speak.It isn't drawing millions and millions of people as you would have it sound, and they are not being brainwashed as you have it sound.Two of the highest testing oils on the site are Chevron Supreme and Pennzoil,since when are these 'Specialty Oils'? Wal-Marts SuperTech also tests out rather well,I guess this is a 'Specialty Oil' too.The second thing is,How many 'Special' oils are out there? I can only think of a few,Amsoil, Scheiffers,Royal Purple and RedLine.What are the others you keep speaking of? The ones that you hear the most about on BITOG are Amsoil,which many,many don't like and Scheiffers.You seem to be the one pushing a so called specialty oil with your GTMO,which in my opinion is no better than QS or Valvoline.If your GTMO is tested and 'proves' to be otherwise,then I will believe it.
Old 06-12-04, 02:35 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

O.K guys, I think this thread is going nowhere. Only a few guys who know each other from BITOG are responding to the thread and the topic is ' Which oil to use on the SC430'. I think the guy who started this thread just wants to know he should use Mobile1, Castrol or what grade of the oil. I don't think he wants to go into details and formula of the oil or GPA/education of the members.
Most of the members on CL are car nuts. They're care about the quality of the engine oil as much as they care about the body kit, suspension mod, wheels, tires,exhaust and stereo system.
Some of you may take the discussion into AIM or PM. So far, it was a good thread up until page 6 & 7.
This thread is closed.