Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need advice on oil for my new SC430

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-04, 01:31 PM
AudiJunkie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I use Chevron Supreme 10W-30"
yeah, it's killer, but Chevron Supreme is being phased out in the East for Havoline
Same GII+ base as Chevron but the 5w-30 Havoline has the latest add packs. I'm currently using it with ARX in my 99 Audi A4 V6. Check out the German Castrol for a definate two steps up in technology

http://www.castrol.co.uk/eng/product_data_sheets.shtml

Castrol SLX/GC specsTBN:14.5, Vis:65.9 SUS @100°C/11.9 cSt (borderline 30/40 weight), Flash point: 460f, 60,000km change intervals recommended by Audi with Flexible Service Interval. 5.45 % fuel gains.
Old 06-06-04, 02:39 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder, is there any other place besides Ferrari that i can get some Shell Helix Ultra 10W-60, the ONLY oil Ferrari recommends for the Enzo?
Old 06-06-04, 02:43 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by AudiJunkie
"I use Chevron Supreme 10W-30"
yeah, it's killer, but Chevron Supreme is being phased out in the East for Havoline
Same GII+ base as Chevron but the 5w-30 Havoline has the latest add packs. I'm currently using it with ARX in my 99 Audi A4 V6. Check out the German Castrol for a definate two steps up in technology

http://www.castrol.co.uk/eng/product_data_sheets.shtml

Castrol SLX/GC specsTBN:14.5, Vis:65.9 SUS @100°C/11.9 cSt (borderline 30/40 weight), Flash point: 460f, 60,000km change intervals recommended by Audi with Flexible Service Interval. 5.45 % fuel gains.
Saber may call A-RX snake oil, but i think it's the ONLY cleaner you should use. Why use that cheap engine flush at Kragen that runs the risk of ruining your seals and clogging your lube system? It's mostly kerosene with a nice dose of 2-butoxyethanol, and some diesel added to it.
Old 06-06-04, 07:12 PM
ekpolk
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by saber
Pitbull, the Bobistheoilguy forum has mulitple moderators and admistrators that are constantly deleting are modifying posts and even pictures. Like say you posted a photo of the insides of a 300,000 mile Toyota automatic transmission that had never been treated with Auto-Rx or other additives, just regular fluid changes. The insides of that 300,000 mile transmission would be immaculate and for that reason the Bobistheoilguy forum moderators would delete it. Or if they don't delete it they will say the photos and / or vehicle mileage is unsubstantiated. They don't want the public knowing Toyotas run 30 years or 500,000 miles without using a drop of specialty oils, cleaners, additives or filters or oil analysis.
Saber:

Many folks spend their entire lives trying to learn how to sift right from wrong. I know you're not grappling with this issue, but here's your version of the formula anyway: you type it; it's wrong.

Your claim that the mods at BITOG quietly delete posts showing healthy engines fed exclusively a diet of dino oil and no adds is preposterous. In fact, here is a thread started six months ago by a guy sharing a set of pics of his very clean dino-only Sienna (fed M-1 twice, apparently, though): Undeleted Pics of Very Clean Sienna Engine on BITOG... . They're still there, in fact. So much for your theory on that.

You also claim that BITOG members are all oil peddlers, blah, blah. I'm a Marine Corps officer, and I've never sold anyone a drop of oil. . . I'm just there to learn something.

Oil analysis is a sales gimmick you say??? We use it extensively in Naval Aviation to keep our jets and helos flying safely, completing missions and coming home on a repeat basis. The system even has a name: NOAP (Naval Oil Analysis Program). We've had the program for years. Who are we trying to sell?

The Toyota facility in Kentucky (TMMK) has used both Valvoline and Exxon/Mobil products as factory fill in the vehicles made there. Sorry, there's no secret formula for Toyota super oil. They solicit bids for the least expensive API certified oil they can get in there.

Could the attitude displayed by you and your Chumb regarding BITOG have anything to do with your banishment therefrom???

Last edited by ekpolk; 06-06-04 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 06:30 PM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by steviej
saber, I think your data is inaccurate. I have read and reread my 2002 owners manual and nowhere does it say anything about Genuine Toyota Brand Motor Oil.
Yes, I made a slight mistake - 2003 was the first year Toyota / Lexus owners manuals said Genuine Toyota Motor Oil is the original factory fill oil: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/toyoiles300.jpg
Old 06-07-04, 06:45 PM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by nthach
Saber may call A-RX snake oil, but i think it's the ONLY cleaner you should use.
In my opinion and in the opinion of Asian car engineers, engine cleaners and flushes are not needed or recommended. Here's an ultra clean '89 Corolla 4A-F engine with 238,000 miles that ran Mobil 1 http://www.saber.net/~monarch/molakule.jpg and yet a salesman named "Molekule" on Bobistheoilguy forum thinks even engines this clean still need to be treated with a cleaner !! Here another '89 Corolla 4A-F engine with 329,000 miles, but it ran dino oil: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/329.cor.jpg Notice it is clean too except for the minor normal and unharmful coating of varnish on various parts.
Old 06-07-04, 07:39 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

In my opinion and in the opinion of Asian car engineers, engine cleaners and flushes are not needed or recommended. Here's an ultra clean '89 Corolla 4A-F engine with 238,000 miles that ran Mobil 1 http://www.saber.net/~monarch/molakule.jpg and yet a salesman named "Molekule" on Bobistheoilguy forum thinks even engines this clean still need to be treated with a cleaner !! Here another '89 Corolla 4A-F engine with 329,000 miles, but it ran dino oil: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/329.cor.jpg Notice it is clean too except for the minor normal and unharmful coating of varnish on various parts.
i find a cleaner optional, but it isn't a bad idea if you're changing from conventional to synthetic.
Old 06-07-04, 07:55 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by nthach
i find a cleaner optional, but it isn't a bad idea if you're changing from conventional to synthetic.
Why? can you explain? Are you talking older cars and what mileage?
Old 06-07-04, 11:37 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by PitBull
Why? can you explain? Are you talking older cars and what mileage?
i'm using ARX in my LS400, since the previous owner changed the oil on a sporatic basis, i'm also planning to run Mobil 1 with 5000mi OCIs. I think if you use a GOOD oil with a good additive and detergent package(none of this Pennzoil crap Jiffy Lube uses), cleaning is unnecessary, but once every few years. However, some engines need it more, like the 1MZ-FE sludge monster. But, with the advent of API SM, with LESS ZDDP than SL and SJ, cleaning may become a necessity, since sludge may build up faster, and there is less ZDDP to protect and clean engine parts.
Old 06-07-04, 11:38 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah, filters are just as important, STAY AWAY FROM FRAM!!!
Old 06-08-04, 01:24 PM
motorguy22
Driver School Candidate

saber,are you really as misinformed as you seem? If you honestly think that BITOG is a site for salesman you are in desperate need of help.The people on the site have opinions just as you do.Does their opinions make them salesmen? If so then you are a salesman for Toyota OEM parts and lubes.Are you a salesman for Toyota OEM?For you or anyone else to think that motor oils from the car manufacturer is better and made to higher standards than anything else you can buy is to be very narrow minded and misinformed.BITOG is not a specialty American motor oil salesman site.It would be hard to be a specialty salesman site when the majority of the oils mentioned are what you and I can buy off the shelf.Chevron Supreme,a very good oil,is dino oil,so is Pennzoil,I didn't know that dino oil was a specialty oil.It seems that if anyone is pushing specialty oil it is you by pushing the so called superior OEM oils.Once again,are you a salesman for Toyota oil? It seems that you saber,are the person giving out the misinformation.You refuse to accept any kind of true knowledge about oil etc. and think you alone are correct.Oils are produced to meet a certain standard whether they are 80 cents or $5.00 dollars a quart.In many instances the cost of higher oil is for the name of the bottle only.Once again,Chevron Supreme is a cheap oil but puts up great test results,higher than those that are more expensive in many instances.Are some oils better,yes indeed they are.OEM oil and parts meet the manufacturers standards,are their better parts and oils?,in most if not all instances,yes.If Toyota oil is so superior,then why is Toyota having trouble with sludging in some of their engines? The superior Toyota oil should prohibit this.It is fine to state your opinions but don't make your opinions sound as if they are facts when they are not.If you are stating a fact,give some kind of proof to back it up with.
Old 06-08-04, 05:57 PM
saber
Pole Position

[i] Your claim that the mods at BITOG quietly delete posts showing healthy engines fed exclusively a diet of dino oil and no adds is preposterous. In fact, here is a thread started six months ago by a guy sharing a set of pics of his very clean dino-only Sienna [/B]
I'm talking about high mileage engines like these two: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/650.jpg http://www.saber.net/~monarch/leowarfield.JPG Over the past 20 years, thousands of Toyota owners have reached the 500,000 miles mark or beyond without an engine overhaul and never used any expensive specialty engine oils, filters or engine cleaners like those that are so heavily promoted on the Bobistheoilguy forum; i.e. no Auto-Rx engine cleaner, no Redline Water Wetter coolant addtive, no Tecba coolant filter, no oil filter bypass systems, no K&N filters, no Fuel Power additive, No lube control additive, No Schaeffers Nuetra 131 additive, No Royal Purple anything, No Amsoil anything. No oil analysis. etc. etc.
Old 06-08-04, 06:19 PM
saber
Pole Position

[i].Once again,are you a salesman for Toyota oil? It seems that you saber,are the person giving out the misinformation.
The information I give out is merely that provided by Toyota / Lexus in the 2003 & 2004 owners manuals, scheduled maintenance booklet, Toyota technician training manuals, the owner FAQ at toyota.com. and lexus.com and on the labels and brochures of Toyota fluids, lubes and filters: Examples: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/toyoiles300.jpg http://www.saber.net/~monarch/ls430c.jpg http://www.saber.net/~monarch/gtatf.jpg http://www.saber.net/~monarch/brakefluid1.jpg http://www.saber.net/~monarch/lexusSLL.jpg
Old 06-08-04, 06:33 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by motorguy22
saber,are you really as misinformed as you seem? If you honestly think that BITOG is a site for salesman you are in desperate need of help.The people on the site have opinions just as you do.Does their opinions make them salesmen? If so then you are a salesman for Toyota OEM parts and lubes.Are you a salesman for Toyota OEM?For you or anyone else to think that motor oils from the car manufacturer is better and made to higher standards than anything else you can buy is to be very narrow minded and misinformed.BITOG is not a specialty American motor oil salesman site.It would be hard to be a specialty salesman site when the majority of the oils mentioned are what you and I can buy off the shelf.Chevron Supreme,a very good oil,is dino oil,so is Pennzoil,I didn't know that dino oil was a specialty oil.It seems that if anyone is pushing specialty oil it is you by pushing the so called superior OEM oils.Once again,are you a salesman for Toyota oil? It seems that you saber,are the person giving out the misinformation.You refuse to accept any kind of true knowledge about oil etc. and think you alone are correct.Oils are produced to meet a certain standard whether they are 80 cents or $5.00 dollars a quart.In many instances the cost of higher oil is for the name of the bottle only.Once again,Chevron Supreme is a cheap oil but puts up great test results,higher than those that are more expensive in many instances.Are some oils better,yes indeed they are.OEM oil and parts meet the manufacturers standards,are their better parts and oils?,in most if not all instances,yes.If Toyota oil is so superior,then why is Toyota having trouble with sludging in some of their engines? The superior Toyota oil should prohibit this.It is fine to state your opinions but don't make your opinions sound as if they are facts when they are not.If you are stating a fact,give some kind of proof to back it up with.
thank you!
Old 06-08-04, 07:09 PM
ekpolk
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I made a slight mistake - 2003 was the first year Toyota / Lexus owners manuals said Genuine Toyota Motor Oil is the original factory fill oil: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/toyoiles300.jpg
Sabre: With all due respect, your position concerning "Genuine Toyota Motor Oil" (GTMO) is illogical and refuted by facts you yourself present. Yes, you're right, the GTMO references appeared in the 2003 manuals (it's in the manual for my 2003.5 V-6 Camry; it's not in my wife's 2001 Sequoia manual). In several other posts in this very thread, you point out that many Toyotas have gone many hundred thousands of miles without any of the potions we discuss over at BITOG. That's true. And those very cars were made long before started spec-ing the allegedly special GTMO! I've seen the stuff in bottles at the dealership for years before it appeared in the manuals. If it really was something different and special, it would have been spec-ed in the manuals years ago. And haven't you noticed how the current Toyota oil bottle shape looks suspiciously like it was made in the same mold as the Exxon/Mobil bottles??? Think about this for a moment. . .

Now, as to BITOG bias, I don't understand how you have failed to notice how at least half of the members over there are staunch believers in plain dino oil use. Every time someone suggests the superiority of synthetic oil, there are plenty of responses to the effect that syn is a waste and dino would work just fine. For example, here is a thread I posted a few days ago regarding the UOA I had just done on the wife's '01 Sequoia: Sequoia UOA BITOG Thread . Notice the second to last response; it's typical of those being fair to dinos. The no/adds-dino believers are well represented at BITOG.

Even if BITOG were saturated with potion salespeople, which I don't perceive that it is, so what??? I'm not so feeble minded that I can't sift the wheat from the chaff on a web discussion forum. Isn't this supposed to be a free country where folks can say what they want, when the want to? If there's a sales message and you don't want to hear it, ignore it. If you disagree, say so, but do so with some good faith sense of mutual respect. I really don't think attacking BITOG as if it is personally stage managed by Satan is warranted. I find it to be a useful, fun, and generally open and friendly place. Going back there now, in fact. Have a nice evening.

Quick Reply: Need advice on oil for my new SC430