Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need advice on oil for my new SC430

Old 06-04-04, 08:40 PM
JrNick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by saber
Well it's a matter of risk. When you use a cheap 89 cent oil like Walmart Supertech there is some risk of significantly increased engine wear because it doesn't have the specially selected base stocks and additive package of genuine Toyota Motor Oil.
I'm not sure how much risk there really is as I the Walmart oil flies off the shelf. I saw a guy in a tattered t-shirt fill his cart up with it! I figure if Walmart thought it was a risk, they probably wouldn't sell it. Plus they sell it in the 5w-30 weight that is called for. Also, I'd probably buy a new car by the time I hit 200,000 miles anyway. Quick note, it's 84 cents per quart, not 89 cents.

My brother in-laws 4cyl Camry has 120K and he just takes it to the quick-lube place by his house every 3,000 miles and has no problems.

One more WalMart thing, I needed a battery late one night and they had it. I was hesitant to purchase a battery from Walmart, but to this day it works great. From then on, I was sold on the fact that just because it's WalMart, it's not all bad.
Old 06-05-04, 12:19 AM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by JrNick
Quick note, it's 84 cents per quart, not 89 cents.
From then on, I was sold on the fact that just because it's WalMart, it's not all bad.
You're kidding, right?
Old 06-05-04, 05:04 AM
JrNick
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by sweetsc400
You're kidding, right?
No, I'm not kidding at all. It was late at night coming home from a friend's house when the battery finally gave out. Rather than waiting til morning, he gave me a ride to WalMart, bought a battery, plus the 5 dollar deposit) and was up and running by midnight. Otherwise, I would have had to do that all in the morning and arrive at work late the next day.

I was hesitant at putting a WalMart branded battery in since I've only used reputable name brands in the past, but thankfully it all worked out in the end.
Old 06-05-04, 05:29 AM
JrNick
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by sweetsc400
Ok, I realize you all are having quite the heated debate, but I have a question that nobody seems to want to answer. Since you all seem to be very knowledgeable on automotive oil and the likes, would you mind taking a look at this link: Good Oil Filters?

Since the don't make the good OEM filter, I'm wanting to find alternatives. I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Thanks
sc400, I read the link you provided as well as the boboilguys.com link. I'm amazed at how much information is at that site. Thanks for the link! There's an oil filter study in the oil filter section that has lots of information on all sorts of oil filters. If you sift through there you could probably find one that you like to use on your car. Of course, it took me a while to go through things there, my eyes calcified before I was finished browsing! Just kidding of course, but there is a lot of information there.
Old 06-05-04, 08:48 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Well I guess I was wrong, I'm going to go to the dealer and see if they can order some of the Toyota Oil to use in my Vehicle, they have these big Castrol signs all over the place and last time I was in, they told me they used Castrol GTX 5w30 for all of the oil changes unless you wanted to spend more and go with the Castrol syntec blend or Castrol syntec. I can not believe that stupid dealership is using some "after market" oil in my vehicle??? When they are suppose to be using the special blended Toyota oil

Wonder if I can sue them for ruining my vehicle? Should I report them to Toyota/Lexus???
Old 06-05-04, 09:21 AM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

Saber writes:

"Then the salesman pointed out the photo didn't show whether or not the piston rings packs were also clean - so a $25,00 a bottle specialty engine cleaner additive like Auto-Rx should still be used in this immaculate engine!"

Key word: salesman

Ahhhh, . . . . Auto-Rx, another favorite of mine. It's another "miracle in a bottle" guaranteed to fix ANYTHING as the BITOG site sponsor confidently affirms. But wait, . . . . theres more.

Here's a happy Auto-Rx customer. He was skeptical of Auto-Rx claims and did a fairly good job of photo documenting his results which can be seen here: http://rms13.com/index.htm

Guess what? No kidding, Auto-Rx didn't match the claims made by the sponsor. The evidence is all there in living color, but , somehow, it was ignored at BITOG. Don't get me wrong, Auto-Rx does work to some extent, but it is no substitute good maintenance practice and solving the problem properly.

I find it funny that most of those BITOG "guys" who are so "in tune" with oil, have so many sludge problems in the first place. I never do. I just use the factory specified oils, and change them according to the the factory schedule. Clearly, I'm the idiot!

Chumley
Old 06-05-04, 12:26 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

JrNICK -

Sorry if I came across as being a jerk. It's just that there a select few things that I would use in my car from walmart. But, you are totally right, they do carry parts to "get the job done" and some products are high end, in my opinion, such as some of their oils.
Old 06-05-04, 04:08 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

Hey Pitbull: Obviously theres a lot of banter, by you, and others about me @ BITOG. I am not Saber and my name is properly spelled, Chumley. None of you, or any of the BITOG major sponsors (which for some reason, at this date, seem to be mysteriously silent on your applicable thread) have directly challenged and/or provided conflicting evidence to anything I've written here so far. If you can't do that, I suggest you continue on your current mind numbing educational path.

But, . . . . I'm still thinking . . . . . "Chumley is the Gas Guy" CITGG. BITOG guys buy 3 gallons of oil (max.) for each vehicle every year but over 500 gallons of gasoline. BITOG members insist on testing the oil at every change interval, but does it ever occur to them to test the fuels both before and after they are burnt? Surely there must be space in the world for other neurotic, **** retentive, hell, we'll even accept schizophrenics who are sure there is a conspiracy managed by major manufacturers aimed at us?

Then there's . . . . . . . .

Chumley is the Tire Guy CITTG
Chumley is the Wheel Guy CITWG
Chumley is the Exhaust Guy CITEG
Chumley is the Good Humor Guy CITGHG (that needs no testing, most people get it)

So many things to test . . . . (as if someone hasn't allready done that for me)

Chumley just drives his cars on a daily basis, reads and follows the Factory Service and Owners manuals, and has a great problem free time while time doing it.

Chumley also thanks and appreciates all those engineers who daily bust their **** designing and building vehicles for me so that I can reliably do that!

Chumley
Old 06-05-04, 04:48 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

How can I ever argue with someone that is right? How is that Toyota special oil working for you? Does your dealer use it or do you have them special order it? I can't think of any more questions for you because my mind is numb
Old 06-05-04, 05:48 PM
subtle
Driver School Candidate

This is exactly what I mean by dumbing down. The Bobistheoilguy lube salesmen get the public to believe genuine Toyota / Honda/Nissan Motor oil, Antifreeze, Brake Fluid, Transmission Fluid, etc. are nothing special, but merely relabelled, rebottled existing products anyone can find more cheaply at Autozone/Pep Boys/NAPA. But Toyota/Honda/Nissan never claimed to make their own oils and fluids; they claimed to select the base stocks and design the additive package and then contract with companies like Mobil to formulate and package the stuff to THEIR standards. So THEIR products are indeed unique and special. Same deal with other things like belts, hoses and plastics. The Asian car companies make the decisions about the chemistry and other characteristics and then often contract USA companies to make the products to their specs, not the usual low quality Pep Boys, NAPA American car specs.
Holy good God!

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on any forum as ignorant(in the literal sense), uninformed, and conditioned as yourself.

You actually think Toyota, Honda, and/or Nissan have "Genuine" fluids made specfically for them? ROTFLMAO

Honda oil, FYI, is simply regular conventional Mobil 10W30 labeled in a bottle that says Honda 10W30.

BITOG...a bunch of American lube salesman??

What is the main source for your mystical misinformation? I'd love to take a look for myself.

Last edited by subtle; 06-05-04 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-05-04, 05:54 PM
subtle
Driver School Candidate

Well it's a matter of risk. When you use a cheap 89 cent oil like Walmart Supertech there is some risk of significantly increased engine wear because it doesn't have the specially selected base stocks and additive package of genuine Toyota Motor Oil. And there is more risk that the factory that makes Supertech does not have as good quality control as the factory that makes the Toyota Oil.

Who "dumbed you down" in to believing Toyota has their own "genuine" motor oil? They deserve an award.

Quality control at "the factory that makes the Toyota Oil." Buahahahahahahahhahaaa. WTF are you talking about?
Old 06-05-04, 07:42 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info and a great debate so far guys. I really enjoy reding this thread.
Please keep it clean.
Old 06-05-04, 09:35 PM
AudiJunkie
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

"specially selected base stocks and additive package of genuine Toyota Motor Oil"

This has GOT to be a joke. What do you have to back up this claim, a glossy TOYOTA brochure? lol
What can YOU tell us about those adds and basestock? rotflmmfao

As for knocking "salesmen", I can't think of more slakey people than NEW car salesmen and Dealer Service reps. I guess they are not trying to make a buck on that TOYOTA branded SL oil that is probally worse than Supertech.

For the original poster, 10w-30 and 5w-30 are so close as to be meaningless. 5w just means a bit better cold-cranking. At operating temp, they will be the same, a thin 30 weight. Check what oil gradeis recommended in other parts of the World, usually it is heavier for the same engines. In USA we have CAFE MPG standards that force mfgs to use and recommend the thin stuff. It does not mean that best performance or protection, especially after shearing to a 20 weight, If you want the best oil for your car, grab some SAAB 0w-30 Synthetic oil for $3.75/L and change it every 6 months or mfg intervals. My friend is using it in his 2000 Lexus, smooth and sweet,a Euro Mobil Produkt. (they don't even sell "regular" Mobil 1 30 weight over there) Those Euro-specs like ACEA A5 are about 10x longer tests than API SL. Havoline is a very good oil, re-bottled Chevron Supreme with the latest add-pack. A Gruppe II+ partly hydro-cracked oil...same basic thing as HC "synthetic" for only $1.26.

In Europe, my Audi goes 60,000km as per mfg recommendation on the same German-made Castrol SLX that I can buy at AutoZone for a bit over $4/q. I have learned a lot about that oil and there is yet mysterious aspects yet to be discovered. However, I KNOW what TOYOTA oil is, vanilla API SL oil.

Saber- ARX would be helpfull with that blockage problem you seem to have.

Last edited by AudiJunkie; 06-05-04 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-05-04, 11:16 PM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by PitBull
Well I guess I was wrong, I'm going to go to the dealer and see if they can order some of the Toyota Oil to use in my Vehicle, they have these big Castrol signs all over the place and last time I was in, they told me they used Castrol GTX 5w30 for all of the oil changes unless you wanted to spend more and go with the Castrol syntec blend or Castrol syntec. I can not believe that stupid dealership is using some "after market" oil in my vehicle??? When they are suppose to be using the special blended Toyota oil

Wonder if I can sue them for ruining my vehicle? Should I report them to Toyota/Lexus???
Corporate Toyota cannot control dealers. Corporate Toyota has long given up trying to make the American people who run Toyota / Lexus dealers quality conscious. Corporate Toyota knows it's just part of our American culture to put profit ahead of quality. So yes, Toyota dealers will use Ford/Chevy/Dodge quality brake fluid, antifreeze and motor oil. At least corporate Toyota requires dealers to stock genuine Toyota brake fluid, antifreeze and motor oil for owners who want to maintain their cars they way the Toyota engineers would like to see them maintained.
Old 06-05-04, 11:47 PM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by AudiJunkie
"specially selected base stocks and additive package of genuine Toyota Motor Oil"

This has GOT to be a joke. What do you have to back up this claim, a glossy TOYOTA brochure? lol
What can YOU tell us about those adds and basestock?
The specific additives and basestocks are Toyota trade secrets, of course. If the materials (metals, plastics, rubber, lubricants, etc) that go into making Toyota components and the engineering designs and the standards of workmanship that go into making those componets were not far superior to those used in American and European cars, how do you think it would be possible for Toyotas to be twice as reliable and durable? It makes perfect sense to me the Toyota engineers would want owners to use their specially designed / formulated parts, fluids and filters so owners will experience exceptional reliability and durability from their vehicles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice on oil for my new SC430