Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

98 gs300 rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-01, 09:45 PM
mkgs3

Can someone please advice what should i do with all the rattles coming from somewhere close to the drivers side vent area, centre vent and the dash. I would like to fix this myself. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-01, 04:45 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Mk,

My 96 ES 300 has the same rattles you mentioned, first it was the front passenger vent area then center then the driver side area started to rattle, it gets really annoying.
What I did was loosen up and tighten the bolts that I can find around the area where the rattles are coming from, there are 3 bolts under the driver side panel and 2 more once you remove the panel. The center part you actually have to pop out the AC vent and there is 2 more bolt inside it. The rattles went away after a quick tightening but came back after a few weeks. Rattling from the front dash and AC vent seems to be a common problem for the GS and ES. Best bet is to take it back to the dealer and have them check it out for ya. I hope this helps a bit.

Peter
Old 04-11-01, 05:12 PM
mkgs3

Hello Kaban, Thanks for the suggestions.

MK
Old 04-11-01, 05:46 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

If tightening the bolts seems to help and the rattle returns after awhile the bolts are working their way loose.

One possible solution is a Loctite product that I think is called Thread Lock. It's a light adhesive liquid.

It will keep the bolt from loosening after you've tightened it and allow you to take out the bolt with a wrench, but it will provide enough adhesive to keep the bolt from working itself loose. To use it you remove the bolt, put some on the threads and tighten the bolt.

Last edited by RealMarty; 04-12-01 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-12-01, 11:27 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Marty,

Cool thing. I will have to try that out and maybe some noise will go away. Where can I buy it from anyways?

Peter
Old 04-13-01, 05:51 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Kaban,

You should be able to find it in any good hardware store -- Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. -- in the aisle where they sell the nuts and bolts.

It comes in a tiny tube, but you only have to use a little on the threads for it to work.

Let me know how it works out.
Old 04-18-01, 07:22 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Marty,

I checked the bolts again this weekend and everything was pretty tight. I removed the driver side panel under the steering wheel, the center part I was too lazy to do because I would also have to remove the wood surrounding the shift ****, and bolts in there was not loose either. Not sure what else I can do, guess I'll just have to live with it.

Peter

Last edited by Kaban; 04-18-01 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-25-01, 02:15 PM
amati5
Driver

Default interior rattle in my 94 sc400, too

This vibration noise happens when i slow down to 30mph with my foot off the gas/brake. I also hear metal rattle coming from under the car when taking off, especially in cold temp. Anyone has any tip ?
thx
Old 04-26-01, 09:48 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Amati5,

I haven't noticed any metal rattles in my car yet, but I can only guess something came loose from under like a screw or something. So I couldn't really offer any help on that.

Peter
Old 05-01-01, 06:05 PM
amati5
Driver

Kaban,

I just fix the problem with the rattle under the car. There was a loose heat shield clam on the passenger side, under the car. The way it looked, it was a poor workmanship. I couldn't unscrew the nut/bolt because it was crooked. I had to cut it off and bought a new (heavy duty, easier to install) clam and put it on. The rattle sound is gone. Now, only if someone show me how to fix the rattle inside. It's more annoying.
thx
Old 05-01-01, 08:49 PM
chowder
Driver

for my mystery driver side dash rattle/rub, i can mute it by lightly pressing on a few points very lightly. for example:
-part of the dash directly below the tachometer
-part of the steering column bottom cover which holds the between-your-legs vent

does this mute your rattle as well?
i still haven't found the source. i find myself investigating little by little when i drive and the sound reveals itself. i'm still confused as to how it appears. i started to think it was temperature related (material contracting/expanding), but now i think there's something that -- if resting a particular way -- rubs. it's happening more and more with age.

still puzzled...
99 GS4
Old 05-02-01, 09:27 AM
amati5
Driver

Chowder,

My dash/s rub sound happens consistently at when i slow down (foot of the gas) to 30mph and slowly disappears as it comes to a stop.
I don't think the temparature has anything to do with it, but a hard brake will start it. I have a feeling i may come from the right tire area.

If you find out what it is, please post. I'll will follow this thread until i fix this. My next plan is to have my wife drive the car so i can detect where the noise coming from.
thx
Old 05-02-01, 09:46 AM
chowder
Driver

right tire area....
amati i don't think you have what i have. mine is driver side dash. you might have the glovebox switch rattle for which there is a TSB.
Old 05-03-01, 04:07 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Amait,

Cool you fixed the under car rattle, now if we can only fix the rattle from the dash and driver passenger side a/c vent....its bugging my es 300 for a long time now.
Old 05-04-01, 09:38 AM
amati5
Driver

Chowder,

Where can find the tsb. I am new on this board and don't really know my way around here yet.

thx

Quick Reply: 98 gs300 rattle