ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance-11/)
-   -   Transmission Fluid Change? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance/110343-transmission-fluid-change.html)

96sc3 02-13-04 07:53 AM

unsuccessful search

quick question?
what is the difference between a differential fluid change and transmission oil change??
thanx.,.,.,

siniquezu 02-13-04 09:58 AM

Tranny is in front. diff is in the rear. The diff is closed off from the tranny in terms of oil.

Philly#1 Lex 02-14-04 06:31 PM

Does anyone know where I can get some Toyota Type IV or Different fluid online that ships? Or anyone have any extra laying around?

Philly :cool:

Carpe Diem 02-14-04 06:56 PM

Champion Toyota in Houston (formerly Jay Marks) will sell you T-IV at a reasonable price and ship it.

George

Philly#1 Lex 02-14-04 07:04 PM

Number?

96sc3 02-14-04 10:31 PM

so how is the procedure to change the differentia fluid ,.,.

Carpe Diem 02-15-04 04:49 AM

The diff fluid is dropped from the lower plug and refilled to the brim at the upper plug.

Champions numbers are:

800-327-2087

713-943-7010

They're all good guys except Laddie V. He doesn't listen and tend to ship what he thinks you need not what you order.

George

Philly#1 Lex 02-15-04 09:06 AM

Thanks man, Finally I can get something ATF shipped to me after almost a year :egads: They sell differential right? Thanks Carpe Diem:thumbup:

Carpe Diem 02-15-04 02:02 PM

Yes they do. I had them send Castrol for mine but they have others as well. Good luck.

BTW, that diff dump is a messy job if you don't have a lift. I had mine done along with a full trans flush by a moonlighting Toyota mechanic using my fluids and his employers shop and equipment. I think he charges me $40 and it was well worth that to avoid the mess. You might ask around at your local Toyota dealer's about this. Here the big dealerships let the mechs moonlight using their shop as long as they're not stealing shop work. A great deal for everyone.

George

nthach 02-15-04 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Carpe Diem
Yes they do. I had them send Castrol for mine but they have others as well. Good luck.

BTW, that diff dump is a messy job if you don't have a lift. I had mine done along with a full trans flush by a moonlighting Toyota mechanic using my fluids and his employers shop and equipment. I think he charges me $40 and it was well worth that to avoid the mess. You might ask around at your local Toyota dealer's about this. Here the big dealerships let the mechs moonlight using their shop as long as they're not stealing shop work. A great deal for everyone.

George

it's not that bad to drain and refill a diff, but it is messy, have lots of paper towels, brake cleaner, and spill absorbent by.

Philly#1 Lex 02-16-04 01:39 PM

How much differential fluid is needed? Are you guys using regluar diff oil or the syn diff oil? They said they ship:D Thanks Carpe Diem but the have to wait until friday to quote me on the shipping! Anyway thanks for the help guys

Philly#1 Lex 02-16-04 01:39 PM

How much differential fluid is needed? Are you guys using regluar diff oil or the syn diff oil? They said they ship:D Thanks Carpe Diem but the have to wait until friday to quote me on the shipping! Anyway thanks for the help guys

Carpe Diem 02-16-04 01:52 PM

When I did mine I ordered 16 qts of T-IV for the full tranny flush and 2 qts of dino Castrol 80-90 for the differential. They ship UPS.

When I did my 60k service, I ordered all these fluids, a bunch of filters (air, oil, cabin) and two sets of brake pads (some of these were for my Toyota truck). The bill was $200 and the shipping was another $30. Just for comparison, they charged me $2.88 / qt for the T-IV!

BTW, I tried Carson too but they won't ship fluids.

George

Philly#1 Lex 02-16-04 06:14 PM

I ordered 12 quarts of Toyota Type IV and 3 quarts of synthetic diff fluid. looks like i have to order 4 more quarts of type IV :egads: does anyone know how the syn diff fluid run ? smooth or better than regular oil? Carpe diem you are the man :D

Carpe Diem 02-17-04 03:19 AM

I'd check with whoever is doing your flush first. The dry fill capacity of the SC400 automatic is 8.7 qts. Most like to push a little more than that but 12 may be fine.

George