LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Leather recondition?

Old 05-12-19, 05:46 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Leather recondition?

My MY15 driver's seat is showing wear. What do you guys use to condition the leather? I don't believe any conditioner will get the leather look back to original, but I want to keep the leather from aging too fast (too much fine hair line to me).
Old 05-12-19, 06:53 AM
cracker123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Leatherique, the details are in this youtube video. I have been using this for a long time and works very well. I have had the best results when I coated the car with rejuvenator oil and left it outside in hot Texas sun (95+) for couple of days.

I have never used it on Lexus leather so try a small area first before applying it across all the seats.

Old 05-12-19, 11:06 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Official Lexus leather cleaner and leather conditioner were replaced a couple years ago with similar products from Lexol.

I've used Lexol cleaner and Passier leather wax on the advice of wife's saddle maker...who I guarantee knows more about keeping fine leather in good shape v. an automotive detailer,

Steuben also makes a great leather conditioner. All are available on the web or at your local tack store.

My local Toyota and Lexus dealers have crazy pricing on the Lexol products.

hth
Old 05-15-19, 08:17 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cracker123
Try Leatherique, the details are in this youtube video. I have been using this for a long time and works very well. I have had the best results when I coated the car with rejuvenator oil and left it outside in hot Texas sun (95+) for couple of days.

I have never used it on Lexus leather so try a small area first before applying it across all the seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JLr7igvCZc
I also swear by Leatherique. I have not used it on a Lexus, but I assume the Lexus leather is surface dyed like most other car leather these days. I used it on my old BMW and MG, and the results were fantastic. It is a multi-step process part of which is applying a crack filler, which handled creases and cracks in the side bolsters very well, and then a spray or brush on surface dye. And, you have to dye, since the crack filler product is a whitish-greay color. It is a time and labor intensive process, and to do it right will tie up your car for several days. For my BMW, I sent them a 1 inch square of leather from under the rear seat where it had been protected from sun damage and bleaching, and they matched the original blue color perfectly with the new dye.

Leatherique has been in business for a long time, and there are now other similar products to choose from. They all have their own groups of followers. The on line comments about all of them remind me of Ford vs GM vs Mopar posts. If there were one product that was affordable and clearly superior to the others, there would not be so many similar product lines available.

If you are interested in a quick fix to just soften old stiff leather, and don't want to tie up the car for days, or if taking sandpaper to your leather seats worries you, there is a one-step product called Leather CPR. I have had good results with it. But, while it makes the old leather soft and pliable, it does nothing for the creases and cracks.

Neither of the cars I did the full Leatherique on had perforated leather. I have no idea how it would work in those areas.

Last edited by Reggie1; 05-15-19 at 08:21 AM.