LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Just discovered headlight washers! What else may lurk undiscovered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 09:28 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Just discovered headlight washers! What else may lurk undiscovered?

My LX is 6 years old, and until yesterday I never realized it had headlight washers. I did wonder from time to time why the front end had two little plastic rectangles under the headlights. . I just assumed the switch was for an option I didn't have.

My delivery presentation from the saleman years ago took about an hour, and only really involved the operation of the infotainment system. Nothing on how to open the hood, gas filler door, where the jack and spare were, and nothing about any of the switches that weren't located around the navigation screen. I'm assuming that's normal for Lexus since I've had 5 Lexus vehicles and the delivery orientation was about the same for each of them.

Now I am thinking that maybe my LX may have other features that I'm not aware of. I have not read the entire owner's manual.
Old 04-29-19, 10:21 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1
Now I am thinking that maybe my LX may have other features that I'm not aware of. I have not read the entire owner's manual.
Old 04-29-19, 11:02 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Wait until you find the Ejection Seat button...
The following users liked this post:
UZ214 (05-03-19)
Old 04-29-19, 04:48 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mcomer
Wait until you find the Ejection Seat button...
...and be very careful if you attempt to use the relief tube controls.
Old 05-01-19, 08:20 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

[QUOTE[b] I have not read the entire owner's manual. =hankinid;10505210]...[/QUOTE]

The manuals that were delivered with my 2 present Lexus vehicles, plus my other 2 vehicles (BMW, GMC HD2500) total well over 4,000 pages, and adding in the lemon-law and consumer's rights stuff also, likely 5,000 pages total.

For comparison, I googled to see how many pages the Bible would be, if printed in about the same size fonts, and found that the Bible would be a 1,200 page read. Of course, the Bible doesn't have all the nifty pictures and illustrations that the car manuals contain.

Now I see why the manual is sometimes referred to as a car's bible. I fall into the 91 percent of American Christians who have not read the entire Bible, and I've never read through an entire owner's manual for any vehicle I have ever owned - except the one for my JD tractor, but it's pretty short.
Old 05-01-19, 10:58 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs up

The manuals that were delivered with my 2 present Lexus vehicles, plus my other 2 vehicles (BMW, GMC HD2500) total well over 4,000 pages, and adding in the lemon-law and consumer's rights stuff also, likely 5,000 pages total.
For comparison, I googled to see how many pages the Bible would be, if printed in about the same size fonts, and found that the Bible would be a 1,200 page read. Of course, the Bible doesn't have all the nifty pictures and illustrations that the car manuals contain.

Now I see why the manual is sometimes referred to as a car's bible. I fall into the 91 percent of American Christians who have not read the entire Bible, and I've never read through an entire owner's manual for any vehicle I have ever owned - except the one for my JD tractor, but it's pretty short.
My '13 LC manual, including the audio system and warranty info is around 2" thick...I didn't come in a fancy binder like the 570's, so I had to buy a man-purse thing that stays in the truck. Manuals on wife's LX are about half that size and you get the leather (I think) binder. Current 200 series online manuals are >5000 pages.

OT a bit, there are plenty of apps to get you through the Bible in a year...pm me if you'd like.

My Kubota owners manual is around 80 pages, more than half of that is advice on NOT doing things that can get you and/or your tractor killed. The shop manual in loose-leaf format is ~ 2" thick.

Last edited by hankinid; 05-01-19 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 04:40 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Actually there is even a better way in terms of always have the manual handy. Just download the PDF version from Lexus website and stored on your smartphone phone (assume everyone now days carry a sort of smart phone by now). Now you have a portable version of manual, the best part of that, it is content searchable by using Acrobat Reader on your phone.
Old 05-03-19, 10:01 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

I had tried the headlight washer button over the years but never saw anything from the driver's seat to indicate that it was operating anything. I just recently happened to be pulled up behind a shiny aluminum horse trailer and hit the button by mistake. I saw the little doors open and spray come out in my reflection.

I'm now wondering if the Lexus headlight washer sprayer really cleans the lenses. I'm comparing the Lexus sprayer to my BMW, that has actual tiny wiper blades that swipe over the sprayed headlights.

Good suggestion to store the manual on my phone. I haven't found a really good place to keep the huge set of paper manuals in the LX. I've had them in the storage area inside the tailgate, but how would I get to the manual if I needed to know how to open a malfunctioning tailgate?
Chc4au (05-06-19)
Old 05-03-19, 10:16 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

I had tried the headlight washer button over the years but never saw anything from the driver's seat to indicate that it was operating anything. I just recently happened to be pulled up behind a shiny aluminum horse trailer and hit the button by mistake. I saw the little doors open and spray come out in my reflection.

I'm now wondering if the Lexus headlight washer sprayer really cleans the lenses. I'm comparing the Lexus sprayer to my BMW, that has actual tiny wiper blades that swipe over the sprayed headlights.
The sprayer removes dust, dirt, and mud in my experience. If you press the button you'll see a quick dimming of the headlight beams and then much brighter beams. Obviously, it will not clean as well as a washer/wiper system.
Old 05-03-19, 05:47 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Good suggestion to store the manual on my phone. I haven't found a really good place to keep the huge set of paper manuals in the LX. I've had them in the storage area inside the tailgate, but how would I get to the manual if I needed to know how to open a malfunctioning tailgate?
The washer button will only work when the headlight is "On". Another way the washer will work will be when the headlights are "On", you pull the level for spray the windshield washer, the headlights washer will operate in every five pulls.
Old 05-05-19, 06:05 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Well sit down for this then. Do you know about the heater for the base of the windshield incase your wipers freeze to the glass? The control button is from the climate control screen.
The following 2 users liked this post by UCrazyKid:
glemmen1 (05-06-19), UZ214 (05-05-19)
Old 05-05-19, 08:41 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

that's such an awesome feature, I was driving my friends suv back from Chicago and it snowing/storm outside my wiper would freeze; the whole windshield would freeze and I would have to stop every few miles to clear off the ice off wipers. I was missing my LX that day A lot.

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Well sit down for this then. Do you know about the heater for the base of the windshield incase your wipers freeze to the glass? The control button is from the climate control screen.
Old 05-05-19, 08:49 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UZ214
that's such an awesome feature, I was driving my friends suv back from Chicago and it snowing/storm outside my wiper would freeze; the whole windshield would freeze and I would have to stop every few miles to clear off the ice off wipers. I was missing my LX that day A lot.
My wiper de-icer worked great during the winter of 2017, aka snowmageddon. I still shut down with the wipers up. 4 oz. of Rain-X concentrate in a gallon of washer fluid is a big help.
UZ214 (05-06-19)