Airbag Light Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 08:56 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
uz214, which dealer was able to fix the LX570 recall? If you can PM me the info that would be appreciated. It’s been over 2 weeks since I had dropped in my wife’s LX and dealer is not getting any updates from corporate. If I relay the dealer you took it into, maybe they can recommend a fix.

Thanks.
Mike
Just like any other dealer, they'll ask you to wait until you get the second recall letter. You make an appointment and take the truck in. Toyota corporate advised me no issues with getting a loaner, but it would be a miracle to get a 200. I was a Sequoia would be no problem. Local service guy told me typical time for the recall fix is ~ 2 hours.
Old 05-20-19, 09:33 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
Just like any other dealer, they'll ask you to wait until you get the second recall letter. You make an appointment and take the truck in. Toyota corporate advised me no issues with getting a loaner, but it would be a miracle to get a 200. I was a Sequoia would be no problem. Local service guy told me typical time for the recall fix is ~ 2 hours.
My dealer didn't ask for any recall letters. I took our truck in for another matter and got an IS200T as a loaner. When they told me that I can pick up our truck but would need to sign a release, I refused. I can't agree to release them of liability and not keep them accountable for an issue that stemmed back from 2008 that they know is a problem. Not having a fix yet is just not acceptable. My dealer was willing to work with me and I got me a bigger, RX350L as a loaner. It sure isn't a LX570...It's now been over 2 weeks and they still have not got an update from corporate. As you say, they sure do not have any issues allowing for a loaner for who knows how long.
Old 05-21-19, 06:34 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

It was Lexus of cherry Hill; it took them about 4 hours Told me its the first one they worked on.
The following users liked this post:
Mikerx80 (05-21-19)
Old 05-23-19, 12:54 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Spoke to my dealership. They had explained that there are 2 open recalls one known as JLL and the other, J2L. JLL they have a temporary fix for. The J2L, no fix yet. Looks like my truck will be in the shop much longer...
Old 05-23-19, 02:55 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
Spoke to my dealership. They had explained that there are 2 open recalls one known as JLL and the other, J2L. JLL they have a temporary fix for. The J2L, no fix yet. Looks like my truck will be in the shop much longer...
Relentless pursuit of perfection. NOT 😢
Old 05-23-19, 04:44 PM
ERC4
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Relentless pursuit of perfection. NOT 😢
We've owned 3 LXs and other Lexus vehicles but we won't be back. They are clearly putting profits ahead of people by not committing sufficient resources to figuring this out. This from a company that has annual profits of more than $22 Billion.
LS460Crown (09-06-19)
Old 05-24-19, 11:46 AM
pkim1078
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Went yesterday to the dealer for my 35k miles service, as of yesterday no remedy for the recall.
Old 06-27-19, 09:09 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Update. Still no solution from Lexus and whenever we drive the car, if the light comes on that the airbag is inactive, we send the front passenger to the rear,

Apparently, there are other cases that have taken longer, but to me this seems like a risk management decision by Lexus. They will take their time because there are few of these vehicles on the road. If it were a Camry, they would move a lot quicker.

Lexus had offered a replacement car, but even that turned out to be something less that what it is. A sedan or a smaller SUV, or one without a tow hitch would not serve my purpose. And, it was touted as generous exception, when I really don't want their rental car anyway -I just one mine fixed. I am borrowing a friend's SUV for the summer holiday.

Overall, this is very disappointing as the dealer had once "repaired" this once before. To be clear, the disappointment is with Lexus as the dealer's hands are tied. They have no replacement parts.
ClaytonW (06-27-19)
Old 08-13-19, 03:07 AM
vgg659
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The recall fix is available - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V887-4928.pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by vgg659:
11lx570 (08-13-19), ClaytonW (08-13-19)
Old 08-13-19, 08:24 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Local Toyota dealer advised me today that parts are finally available within a day or 2.

About time...dealer advised 45 minutes to an hour to install the seat belt tensioner parts...not long enough to even think about a loaner car.
Old 08-13-19, 06:26 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 11lx570
As of last week, Northside Lexus in Houston says they don't have a fix and they are not offering loaners in the interim.
They have no choice on the loaner. If you want one then open a case with Lexus. You'll get a loaner lickety-split.

Below is what I posted on Mud a few days ago. Scroll to the bottom of the link about rental instructions for dealers:

Let me dig out my NHTSA hat, it is here somewhere....

As far as I can tel (on Saturday from my house), this is the latest information on the air bag issue. Toyota still doesn't have the parts in place and you need to decide what the interim remedy is. As this is a significant safety issue, there is the option of a rental car.

Of course, you could pursue a buyback under the lemon laws of your state. Even if your car is out of the time period (within reason), you could argue that the safety hazard mandates a buy back in any case. If you want to look at that option, then find a lemon layer in your state that is well versed with Lexus/Toyota so that they'll have the proper contacts.

If the car is financed through Lexus/Toyota, then you could argue that you're paying for something you can't use (even if you have a rental/loaner) and Lexus might throw some money at you. Again, a lemon lawyer can advise you.

There isn't much that NHTSA can do at this point. There is a stop sale on affected cars and Toyota is providing long term loaners.

However, more calls to NHTSA will reinforce that Toyota is dragging their feet on this recall which will result in a few nasty calls to Toyota - something they don't want.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V887-3279.pdf

Old 08-13-19, 10:34 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cb1111
They have no choice on the loaner. If you want one then open a case with Lexus. You'll get a loaner lickety-split.

Below is what I posted on Mud a few days ago. Scroll to the bottom of the link about rental instructions for dealers:

Let me dig out my NHTSA hat, it is here somewhere....

As far as I can tel (on Saturday from my house), this is the latest information on the air bag issue. Toyota still doesn't have the parts in place and you need to decide what the interim remedy is. As this is a significant safety issue, there is the option of a rental car.

Of course, you could pursue a buyback under the lemon laws of your state. Even if your car is out of the time period (within reason), you could argue that the safety hazard mandates a buy back in any case. If you want to look at that option, then find a lemon layer in your state that is well versed with Lexus/Toyota so that they'll have the proper contacts.

If the car is financed through Lexus/Toyota, then you could argue that you're paying for something you can't use (even if you have a rental/loaner) and Lexus might throw some money at you. Again, a lemon lawyer can advise you.

There isn't much that NHTSA can do at this point. There is a stop sale on affected cars and Toyota is providing long term loaners.

However, more calls to NHTSA will reinforce that Toyota is dragging their feet on this recall which will result in a few nasty calls to Toyota - something they don't want.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V887-3279.pdf
I opened a case with Toyota on our '13 Land Cruiser. I was advised I could get a loaner for as long as I needed it. She couldn't guarantee a Cruiser, but told me a Sequoia would not be an issue.

This morning, based on a thread on Mud, I called my local 'Yota dealer, spoke to the service manager who advised me he could have the parts in a day or two (Reno to Boise), and I've got an open appointment next week. Flat rate is based on 45 minutes to locate, remove, and install a new seat belt tensioner. Service guy said it's usually just a little over an hour. No reason for me to get a loaner.
Old 08-14-19, 07:21 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I opened a case with Toyota on our '13 Land Cruiser. I was advised I could get a loaner for as long as I needed it. She couldn't guarantee a Cruiser, but told me a Sequoia would not be an issue.

This morning, based on a thread on Mud, I called my local 'Yota dealer, spoke to the service manager who advised me he could have the parts in a day or two (Reno to Boise), and I've got an open appointment next week. Flat rate is based on 45 minutes to locate, remove, and install a new seat belt tensioner. Service guy said it's usually just a little over an hour. No reason for me to get a loaner.
Funny how they find parts when the cost of loaners starts to add up...
Old 08-14-19, 08:28 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cb1111
Funny how they find parts when the cost of loaners starts to add up...
I think it's more like 2 separate issues...

I had the agreement from Toyota for a loaner for around 2 months...I could have parked the LC at the dealer at that time and driven the Sequoia until a fix was attained. That said, there was no way I'd leave the LC parked at the dealer.

Otoh, now that Toyota can get the parts in a couple of days, and given the installation should take a bit more than an hour, I don't see the need for a loaner for that short of a job. Without starting a case with Toyota, the recall notice shows reimbursement for a loaner is up to $45 per day.
Old 08-15-19, 01:44 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a FYI, my wife dropped off the truck yesterdsy for the seat belt fix. She was given a NX as a loander. They called her back after three hours that it was done. She is picking it up later today. This is through Tustin Lexus here in SoCal. Call your dealer guys, good luck.

Quick Reply: Airbag Light Recall