LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Hydraulic suspension/ Height adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 07:17 AM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Hydraulic suspension/ Height adjustment

I was wondering with the LX 570 when the body( hydraulic height adjustment ) is in the highest setting, can it be left there when driving at any speed or does it automatically lower itself back down over a certain speed limit ?

I know the ground clearance of the LX 570 does not change even in the heighest setting, but I was more curious if you could leave the LX set in high at any speed to take advantage of the improved approach and departure angles.
Old 03-15-19, 08:39 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftcgsf
I was wondering with the LX 570 when the body( hydraulic height adjustment ) is in the highest setting, can it be left there when driving at any speed or does it automatically lower itself back down over a certain speed limit ?

I know the ground clearance of the LX 570 does not change even in the heighest setting, but I was more curious if you could leave the LX set in high at any speed to take advantage of the improved approach and departure angles.
If your turn the height adjust with to "Off" position, the height position will be remaining at your last adjusted position.
Old 03-15-19, 08:54 AM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hzhao
If your turn the height adjust with to "Off" position, the height position will be remaining at your last adjusted position.
so what you are saying is I can drive down the road at say 50 mph in the highest setting and the LX will not lower itself ?
Old 03-15-19, 10:13 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

so what you are saying is I can drive down the road at say 50 mph in the highest setting and the LX will not lower itself ?
Yes. You have to do this while vehicle is in stop:

Old 03-15-19, 10:27 AM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

thank you.

i thought that if you had the LX at its highest height setting that when you went over 20 mph or when you hit highway speeds the LX automatically dropped back down to the lowest vehicle height settings for aerodynamics.

But what you are saying is that while the vehicle is in stop, adjust it to the highest setting and it will stay elevated at faster speeds.

Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Yorksail00 (08-24-23)
Old 03-15-19, 11:40 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

There's some confusion here. First is confusing the stance the LX automatic height adjustment sets for the LX at higher speeds with the "High" position. The high position set by the console switch is for off-road use, when on trails or crossing water where an increase in vehicle ground clearance is desired by the driver. The automatic high speed stance is not the same as this; it is a "rake" change in stance to slightly alter aerodynamics and slightly increase fuel economy. That's why, when you slow and stop after a high speed run, you may feel the back of the vehicle squat down slighlty. Depending on your senses, it may feel to others like the front of the vehicle rises up.

When you engage the "high" setting while at rest, and then push the "off" button, the whole vehicle remains at the raised height UNTIL you reach a certain forward speed. If you are off-roading and going slowly, the LX will remainin the high position. But once you reach a certain forward speed, the AHC "off" light automatically goes off, and the LX lowers itself to the "normal" height. I just came back from verifying this, and my LX automatically turned off the "off" light and spontaneously lowered itself at approximately 15 mph. Having the AHC button "off" will not prevent this automatic lowering to normal height.

I'm assuming my LX works like all the others. I've had two of them, and the AHC worked the same way in my older one as it does in the one I have now.
Yorksail00 (08-24-23)
Old 03-15-19, 11:46 AM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Reggie1
There's some confusion here. First is confusing the stance the LX automatic height adjustment sets for the LX at higher speeds with the "High" position. The high position set by the console switch is for off-road use, when on trails or crossing water where an increase in vehicle ground clearance is desired by the driver. The automatic high speed stance is not the same as this; it is a "rake" change in stance to slightly alter aerodynamics and slightly increase fuel economy. That's why, when you slow and stop after a high speed run, you may feel the back of the vehicle squat down slighlty. Depending on your senses, it may feel to others like the front of the vehicle rises up.

When you engage the "high" setting while at rest, and then push the "off" button, the whole vehicle remains at the raised height UNTIL you reach a certain forward speed. If you are off-roading and going slowly, the LX will remainin the high position. But once you reach a certain forward speed, the AHC "off" light automatically goes off, and the LX lowers itself to the "normal" height. I just came back from verifying this, and my LX automatically turned off the "off" light and spontaneously lowered itself at approximately 15 mph. Having the AHC button "off" will not prevent this automatic lowering to normal height.

I'm assuming my LX works like all the others. I've had two of them, and the AHC worked the same way in my older one as it does in the one I have now.
Thank you very much. This is what I thought, but I was not entirely sure.
Old 03-15-19, 03:29 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Until you drive 1 mph faster than the truck's preset lowering limit speed...which, by the way, you cannot change.

NOT correct.

Originally Posted by Reggie1

That's the only correct answer here.

Nice if people actually tried what they're advising
The following 3 users liked this post by hankinid:
05ls430518 (08-26-23), hzhao (03-15-19), Yorksail00 (08-24-23)
Old 03-15-19, 03:48 PM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hankinid
Until you drive 1 mph faster than the truck's preset lowering limit speed...which, by the way, you cannot change.

NOT correct.

That's the only correct answer here.

Nice if people actually tried what they're advising
Thank you very much for the confirmation . And the explanation just prior to yours was excellent as well. I am debating on trading in my ford raptor for the LX, and I am just trying to due a full depth comparison in terms of off road capability, ride height, and approach and departure angles among other things.
Old 03-15-19, 06:09 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You can increase the speed at which the lx lowers if you drive in low gear. If you drive normal (high gear) it'll lower at around 19 mph.
lexus4jess (09-19-23)
Old 03-15-19, 06:15 PM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jat0223
You can increase the speed at which the lx lowers if you drive in low gear. If you drive normal (high gear) it'll lower at around 19 mph.
Mechanically, is it safe to drive the LX in low gear at higher speeds for extended periods of time ?
Old 03-15-19, 10:03 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thank you very much for the confirmation . And the explanation just prior to yours was excellent as well. I am debating on trading in my ford raptor for the LX, and I am just trying to due a full depth comparison in terms of off road capability, ride height, and approach and departure angles among other things.
Mechanically, is it safe to drive the LX in low gear at higher speeds for extended periods of time ?
We do it in the woods, given a decent road. On paved roads, it's simply a waste of fluid, plus obviously more wear and tear on the drivetrain. Same with the Raptor or anything else with a low range transfer case.

Good luck with an apples to oranges comparison, imo they're two very different trucks.
Old 03-16-19, 02:59 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Also, interestingly, if the LX is in 4low and is stuck, wheels turning and vehicle going nowhere, the vehicle will automatically raise its self up even more. About another inch. I was stuck off the side of the road on snow that was over ice at all 4 wheels. Hi mode, center diff locked, 4 low and in crawl mode and the truck was going nowhere. Once I was pulled out by the neighbor I stepped back and looked at the LX and couldn’t believe how high it was sitting!

Another thought, the reason the vehicle doesn’t stay in high mode at higher speeds is due to rollover safety and keeping a lower center of gravity in a 6,000lb vehicle. Additionally when the vehicle is in the High or Low height setting (not “N” or Normal) the wheel alignment is off and would cause unusual handing and tirewear at speed or for a long amount of distance.
lexus4jess (09-19-23)
Old 03-16-19, 04:08 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Also, interestingly, if the LX is in 4low and is stuck, wheels turning and vehicle going nowhere, the vehicle will automatically raise its self up even more. About another inch. I was stuck off the side of the road on snow that was over ice at all 4 wheels. Hi mode, center diff locked, 4 low and in crawl mode and the truck was going nowhere. Once I was pulled out by the neighbor I stepped back and looked at the LX and couldn’t believe how high it was sitting
We get the same ~1.5" when things get slippery on our '01.
Old 08-24-23, 06:59 AM
Yorksail00
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ☆Height control explained in detail per Lexus☆

High mode increases height by 2" in the front and 2.4 inches in the rear from Normal height. It will lower back to N if speeds exceed 18 mpg*.
If the vehicle speed exceeds 25 mph in 4 Low the height will drop to 1 inch above N. As in drops ~1 inch below the High setting. When in 4 Low on uneven surfaces and your speed exceeds 2 mph, it will automatically raise to High mode.

Low mode lowers the front by 2.4 inches in the front and 1.6 inches in the rear. It will return to N when speeds exceed 7 mph*.

interesting side note:
When in 4 Low/Crawl Control, the vehicle may go into Extra High mode, which can raise it 0.8 inches, or higher in some cases. That's over the normal High setting. Speeds greater than 6 mph will lower it back to the regular High setting.

Speeds greater than 50 mph causes the suspension to lower in most cases (the front more than the rear for aerodynamics). Throughout road travel you will feel the suspension modulate. Oftentimes when stopping you will feel the rear come down, followed by the front.

Ftcgsf (08-24-23)

Quick Reply: Hydraulic suspension/ Height adjustment