LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Lexus and warranty work

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 08:30 PM
calilexus5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus and warranty work

So I purchased a 2009 lx570 for my wife in 2012. We have been die hard Toyota owners but this was our first Lexus. It was a certified used Lexus in great shape and I purchased the Lexus extended warranty just because of the electronics in these suv's. Fast forward to about 6 months ago. The Lexus has always been pampered and only had about 80k miles when the navigation screen started blacking out with horizontal lines, making it unusable for anything that required the screen. Took it in and told it needed a firmware update which was not covered by warranty. Paid the $165.00 and away we went. Same day we picked it up, it started doing it again. Notified the dealer. Second time they replaced the nav unit. Again soon after we picked it up, it was still doing it. Third time they replaced the hard drive and unfortunately it still blacks out. I have contacted the dealer and was told they did not have any other solutions to fix it and would escalate it to Lexus and would call me back. Weeks later no call so I called corporate. Was asked to contact the dealer again before they would get involved. Spoke with the dealer who stated that they had escalated? it and do not have any answers on how to fix it and no ETA when they may have an answer. Meanwhile my warranty is up in about 2 months and I again called corporate who didn't really seem to care. I asked if this would be covered under warranty after my warranty expired since it was never fixed. I was told maybe but maybe not and they would look at a case by case basis with LEXUS making the decision if it was covered or not. So now I am stuck with a vehicle that has not been fixed while it is under warranty and then maybe stuck with the bill after it is out. I am really disappointed on how the dealer nor lexus really can care less about fixing our truck. Other than selling it and pawning the problem onto someone else or trading it in (not for another lexus!!) I think it is pretty crappy that Lexus treats customers in such a disposable manner.
Old 03-01-19, 12:40 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Recently I had a "Lexus Extended Warranty" issue that took multiple visits and TWO different Lexus dealerships to properly diagnose the problem and make the proper repair. The trick is to make the proper diagnoses. Otherwise don't know what's wrong, right?

My problem was that our 2013 LX570 bought brand spanking new back in 2013 is a garage queen since we have multiple other vehicles to drive around. We used the LX570 mainly for towing or for medium to long distance trips. The current mileage is around 35K miles........ If we leave it in the garage for more than about a week the car battery dies and required a jump. In the past we drove the LX570 at least once a week so not a problem (at least not a DISCOVERED problem yet). Fast forward to about 9 months ago.....the battery failed. The first time I was not home and my wife called me.....so I just called AAA bc I had my AAA card handy and always had good service from them (shoulda called Lexus roadside assistance instead bc I would have been given either a free replacement battery or a prorated one). So AAA replaced the battery with an "equivalent INTERSTATE battery". All ok until about a couple of months later, it died again. So AAA came and replaced the battery again. This happened one more time about another month later and AAA replaced the battery AGAIN!!! Then a couple of months ago the battery died again!!! This time went to the Lexus dealership where we bought the LX570 from.

The first time for this problem at the selling Lexus dealership they blamed on the "cheap battery" AAA had put in. I asked Lexus to check to make sure all electrical systems/charging/alternator are ok. They assured me all ok and put on a brand new battery which I had to paid out of pocket 100% (I guess bc the original battery is gone do not prorated). Fast forward two months......the battery died AGAIN!!! BACK TO the same selling Lexus dealership!!! They checked EVERYTHING, so they say......and ALL OK, including the battery and charging system/alternator. I asked about any abnormal parasitic electrical draws. They said all ok and suggest we get a trickle charger.

Park the LX570 in the garage......wanted to make sure all ok.....so did not touch it for a week.......tried to start it....... battery died AGAIN!!!! WTF!!! THIS POS is becoming the MOST UNRELIABLE POS EVER!! Even my MB is looking more appealing......!!!

So I jump started the LX570 and decided to go to another Lexus dealership whom I had gone before (but not the selling Lexus dealership). This Lexus dealership is MUCH BIGGER THAN the selling Lexus dealership. This Lexus dealership jept my LX570 for almost THREE weeks and had me agree to some $875 diagnostic charge IF the problem EVENTUALLY found to be a "non-covered issue". I really had no choice so I said OK. At the end they found a PARASITIC ELECTRICAL DRAIN with the center console cooler and replaced the "computer brain/chip/ecu" that is located in the center dash. It WAS a "covered item/issue" so all I had to pay was the $100 deductible (would have been zero if at the "selling dealership"!!!).

So for your situation.......I would go to a "LARGER LEXUS DEALERSHIP" and see about it.

Originally Posted by calilexus5
So I purchased a 2009 lx570 for my wife in 2012. We have been die hard Toyota owners but this was our first Lexus. It was a certified used Lexus in great shape and I purchased the Lexus extended warranty just because of the electronics in these suv's. Fast forward to about 6 months ago. The Lexus has always been pampered and only had about 80k miles when the navigation screen started blacking out with horizontal lines, making it unusable for anything that required the screen. Took it in and told it needed a firmware update which was not covered by warranty. Paid the $165.00 and away we went. Same day we picked it up, it started doing it again. Notified the dealer. Second time they replaced the nav unit. Again soon after we picked it up, it was still doing it. Third time they replaced the hard drive and unfortunately it still blacks out. I have contacted the dealer and was told they did not have any other solutions to fix it and would escalate it to Lexus and would call me back. Weeks later no call so I called corporate. Was asked to contact the dealer again before they would get involved. Spoke with the dealer who stated that they had escalated? it and do not have any answers on how to fix it and no ETA when they may have an answer. Meanwhile my warranty is up in about 2 months and I again called corporate who didn't really seem to care. I asked if this would be covered under warranty after my warranty expired since it was never fixed. I was told maybe but maybe not and they would look at a case by case basis with LEXUS making the decision if it was covered or not. So now I am stuck with a vehicle that has not been fixed while it is under warranty and then maybe stuck with the bill after it is out. I am really disappointed on how the dealer nor lexus really can care less about fixing our truck. Other than selling it and pawning the problem onto someone else or trading it in (not for another lexus!!) I think it is pretty crappy that Lexus treats customers in such a disposable manner.

Last edited by lexusrus; 03-01-19 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 12:40 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems. If you are able, I would take it to a larger lexus dealer, request a loaner and let them handle it.
You problem occurred before the expiration of the warranty period so I don't think you're going to have much problems as far as coverage is concerned.
Old 03-08-19, 04:23 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Frequently see advice on this and other forums to "take your vehicle to another dealer." That is nearly impossible for many of us. The next nearest dealership to me in North Louisiana is 200 miles away. However, I do have a good independent, who before the dealership opened was a certified Lexus repair facility.
Old 03-09-19, 06:16 PM
mmalik
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I also do the same thing. I just call the largest one in my area, have them bring the loaner and take my Lexus and then whenever they are done, call me and bring my Lexus back. I just make sure I don't do that when I have an upcoming long trip plan. Although, I have taken the loaners for 700+ trips and they don't mind.
Old 03-10-19, 07:05 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I feel your pain.

But in SoCal .....it takes me a good 3 to 4 hours (for the LARGEST LEXUS DEALERSHIP ON THE WEST COAST) "driving time" due to traffic during peak rush hour each way. If I avoid peak rush hours, then it is still a good 2.25 hours each way.

There are some other "closer Lexus dealership", but not as large........tried them already........

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
Frequently see advice on this and other forums to "take your vehicle to another dealer." That is nearly impossible for many of us. The next nearest dealership to me in North Louisiana is 200 miles away. However, I do have a good independent, who before the dealership opened was a certified Lexus repair facility.
Old 03-23-19, 08:01 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by calilexus5
P.M. me.

Expen$$ive electronics and everyone is playing hot potatoe.

I repaired a rear display screen on the LX570.

See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-3rd-gen-2008-present/904999-2016-lx570-headrest-monitor.html

Old 03-29-19, 12:04 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
P.M. me.

Expen$$ive electronics and everyone is playing hot potatoe.

I repaired a rear display screen on the LX570.

See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...t-monitor.html
Have like new (working and unrefurbished) electronics from LX570: Navigation display (Lexus quotes $10,000) and radio (Lexus quotes $12,000) P.M. me as to your interest.
Old 03-29-19, 07:02 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
The first time for this problem at the selling Lexus dealership they blamed on the "cheap battery" AAA had put in. I asked Lexus to check to make sure all electrical systems/charging/alternator are ok. They assured me all ok and put on a brand new battery which I had to paid out of pocket 100% (I guess bc the original battery is gone do not prorated).
All Lexus / Toyota batteries in my reign are made by Interstate, they just have different stickers. I have seen the raw batteries
before the stickers have been applied. Don't let the dealer BS you.
Old 03-29-19, 07:30 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
The Lexus extended warranty on my LX & Toyota extended warranty on my Tundra can both be done
@ a independent repair shop. If you read the contract carefully it is in there. The dealers just don't
want you to know it. There is no difference between a dealership and a knowledgeable repair shop.
Old 03-30-19, 01:36 AM
BretL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default @calilexus5

Sorry for your problems!
I had the same exact issue with my 2013 LX...about a year ago.....I would take it to another dealership!!!
Not sure where you are located....

The screen on my LX blacked out completely, radio stopped working, the battery was dead....I replaced the battery and the dash was still not working.
The dealership had my car for about 4 weeks diagnosing the problems....they took it step by step.....they first replaced the screen as you stated...then the entire hard drive was replaced and software...including the radio which is part of the screen....not the speakers......my extended warranty to 100,000 miles which I purchased though Lexus covered this. The cost would have been $3,000.

Last edited by BretL; 03-30-19 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-01-19, 02:30 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

It was my experience that If you are not the first owner or purchased a CPO vehicle from a dealer, Lexus will do very little to help you. As you get closer to the warranty being up, I would suggest you take it to the dealer and do not pick it back up, take receipt of it until it is repaired. If you leave with it, and the warranty lapses you are SOL.