LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Safety Feature

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 03:54 PM
OYAHHH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety Feature

Hi, Looking to possibly purchase a LX 570. Preferably a used vehicle, but I guess if I had to I could go new.

I was wondering if the collision avoidance system on the LX 570 had the ability to automatically apply the brakes to bring the vehicle to a full stop if necessary?

Long story but this sort of feature is something I am pretty confident I am going to need in the future. I have seen a couple youtube videos which show this type of feature in Lexus cars, just wondering what model years it might be available in the LX 570, if at all.

Just cannot seem to find any definitive information about this feature in the 570. In places it is implied it has that functionality, in other places it does not.

Appreciate any input if you guys could give it.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 02-13-19, 04:28 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OYAHHH
Hi, Looking to possibly purchase a LX 570. Preferably a used vehicle, but I guess if I had to I could go new.

I was wondering if the collision avoidance system on the LX 570 had the ability to automatically apply the brakes to bring the vehicle to a full stop if necessary?

Long story but this sort of feature is something I am pretty confident I am going to need in the future. I have seen a couple youtube videos which show this type of feature in Lexus cars, just wondering what model years it might be available in the LX 570, if at all.

Just cannot seem to find any definitive information about this feature in the 570. In places it is implied it has that functionality, in other places it does not.

Thanks,

Greg
Fortunately haven't had to test this feature, but I do know that the automated cruise control, or whatever Lexus calls their version, will completely stop the vehicle when following someone who stops.
Old 02-13-19, 08:40 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

LX 570 model year 2016 or later has Lexus Safety System+ which means Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection. So that's probably what you need. Unfortunately, even 2019 model year does not have Lexus Safety System+ 2.0 which is improved and also has Road Sign Assist.
There is a nice comparision between the first generation Safety System+ and the new version 2.0 here:
https://www.lexus.com/documents/safe...0-20181024.pdf

Last edited by ClaytonW; 02-13-19 at 08:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OYAHHH (02-14-19)
Old 02-14-19, 12:30 PM
mmalik
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks,

Greg
Greg, I think I can shed some light on this...

So it all starts with the Radar Cruise Control - What it does it maintains the distance between the vehicle you are driving and the vehicle in front. You can set that distance when you engage the cruise. It uses radar technology in order to maintain the distance and uses accelerator and break to maintain the gap. I've been using it for 14 years now. First time I had it, it was in an 2005 Cadillac STS4 V8. Ever since the driving seems incomplete without this feature. (its very addictive i promise you if you figure out how to use it and its limitations).

Explanation of the Radar Cruise Control (Lexus's Dynamic Radar Cruise Control DRCC)
To explain, this is how the feature works. Lets say I have the cruise setup on 85 with maximum distance set to the vehicle in front. I'm the only one in my lane so my vehicle will go to 85 mph. Now lets say there is one of those slow drivers in the fast lane going 60. The radar cruise control will detect that car, slow down your vehicle and match the 60mph and maintain the distance that you set when you initially engaged the cruise. And if that slow driver is considerate enough and leaves your lane, your vehicle will go back to its cruising speed of 85.

Limitations of DRCC
So although the feature is very nifty, it has some limitations.
- It will not engage under the speed of 29mph.
- It will not engage automatically. You will have to engage the cruise for the vehicle to start looking for any vehicle in front. Therefore, if you are driving and the cruise is not engaged, it will not slow down the vehicle.

- When slowing down, it would disengage automatically as soon as the speed goes below 29mph. It will however, give you a few beeps as it is disengaging.
- When slowing down from a higher speed say 70mph and the accident is imminent, it will continue to slow down the vehicle but it will not bring the vehicle to a complete stop. Now this one is a tricky one, when this is happening (and yes I've tested this exact scenario a few times deliberately) although the vehicle will not completely stop the vehicle, it will tense your seat belts, and make your brakes extremely sensitive. Basically, now the LX is ready to stop safely with all its got and is waiting for your command. Even a light tap on the break padel at that time will lock the wheels and tightens your seat belts. (and trust me, it is extremely strong breaking, a lot better than your normal breaking). Please DO NOT try it in the traffic or people may rear end you. Find an empty back road and a friend to drive in front of you to help you engage the system from the car at front.

DRCC Availability in LX
When I was looking to buy my LX, i was looking to find the one with the DRCC. I noticed that it is available starting in 2013 LX and beyond. I didn't want to buy the 2016 LX (i'm still trying to get comfortable with the non boxy shape). However, not all the LX are created equal. Majority of the used LX out there do not have this system and it took a lot of market research for me find the one with everything I want and with the features I want. To explain, I was trying to find 2013 to 2015 LX570 , pearl white ext color and tan interior, with rear entertainment system and mark lavinson as well as a cool box in the center console and must have DRCC. And none of the feature, for me, were negotiable. So it took me almost 7 months (dec 17 to July 18) to find the one that I wanted and I got it shipped right away. and now I absolutely love it.

DRCC with stop and Go
Now OP I think this is the option you are looking for, you want the vehicle to come to a complete stop when RDCC is engaged. I believe the new LX has that option available. The key word is ‘stop and go’ for this one. I know ford has it as ‘Radar Cruise Control w/ stop and go’ available in most of its vehicle. Acura also has it available now for a few years now in its technology package.

All these systems can sense the car in front and will apply the full brakes if eminent threat of collision, however, if the driver’s foot is on the break, the system will not engage at all.

Conclusion
DRCC is an amazing technology and it is getting better every year. If you can find and afford to get a vehicle with this, I will highly suggest it. The best form of this that I’ve ever experienced is in my Tesla Model S (but tesla also uses cameras and ultrasonic sensors in addition to radar).
I still think that if Lexus's thoughtful luxury and Tesla's technology can combine, they can create the best vehicle in the world.

With that said, all the information described above is from my personal 1st hand experience and I welcome any questions you may have about this.

Hope this helps.

Mo.
2013 LX570 | 2007 LS460
2018 Tesla S | 2012 Sonata
2014 HD-VRod Muscle

PS- All of my tests were conducted on my 2013 LX570 most recently. And also, if you want to see if an LX vehicle is equipped with the DRCC, the Lexus monogram on the grill will be slightly different and on the steering wheel you'll see a designated button with a picture of car and three brackets in front of it. Here is also a utube link for Lexus DRCC

Thanks,

Last edited by mmalik; 02-14-19 at 12:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mmalik:
Lexus376 (04-11-20), OYAHHH (02-14-19)
Old 02-14-19, 01:16 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The 2018 has Stop and Go. In mine, if you allow the dynamic cruise control to bring the car to a stop, when the car in front of you begins to move if you briefly move the cruise control stalk to engage cruise your vehicle will start accelerating from a dead stop following the car ahead of you.
OYAHHH (02-14-19)
Old 02-14-19, 01:56 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
The 2018 has Stop and Go. In mine, if you allow the dynamic cruise control to bring the car to a stop, when the car in front of you begins to move if you briefly move the cruise control stalk to engage cruise your vehicle will start accelerating from a dead stop following the car ahead of you.
This is standard for every LX from 2016. One of the reasons why I would never buy 2015 LX or older.
OYAHHH (02-14-19)
Old 02-14-19, 09:14 PM
OYAHHH
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you all!

I really appreciate the great responses. It is very very late night here so I will review them more thoroughly tomorrow when my brain can fully process all the information.
Old 02-15-19, 11:03 AM
OYAHHH
Driver School Candidate

Are you sure stop and go is standard 2016+? If so would save me a ton of hassle during a search. 2016 is what I was aiming for, I don't particularly care for the styling but I could live with it. I need the features the Lx 570 has, such as raise/lower suspension, stop and go, DRCC, AEB and so forth. All the other goodies are pure decoration for me at the moment.
Old 02-16-19, 01:29 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Are you sure stop and go is standard 2016+? If so would save me a ton of hassle during a search. 2016 is what I was aiming for, I don't particularly care for the styling but I could live with it. I need the features the Lx 570 has, such as raise/lower suspension, stop and go, DRCC, AEB and so forth. All the other goodies are pure decoration for me at the moment.
Yes, I have 2016 LX. It also has blind spot monitor/rear cross trafic allert which is also useful.
OYAHHH (02-16-19)
Old 02-16-19, 05:09 AM
lex97h
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

All 2016+ LX570 has the all speed dynamic cruise control. It is a great feature and I use it all the time on the highway and even in rush hour it will bring the vehicle to a complete stop. Tap the accelerator or push the resume button and the vehicle begins to move. This is a must have feature on any new vehicles. All it is missing is the lane keeping assist and it will be perfect.
OYAHHH (02-16-19)