ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-3rd-gen-2008-2021-203/)
-   -   Why Did You End Up Buying The LX? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-3rd-gen-2008-2021/907132-why-did-you-end-up-buying-the-lx.html)

SaintLexus 12-19-18 11:13 PM

Why Did You End Up Buying The LX?

I told my wife, either we buy an RX, Land Cruiser, or an LX570 but the GX was never an option.

So we test drove the LX and the wifey goes like, we'll take it!

Bought our LX simply because of it's proven reliability!

By the way... which Luxury SUV do you guys think is our closest contender?
is it the Land Rover?

hankinid 12-20-18 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by SaintLexus (Post 10389439)
I told my wife, either we buy an RX, Land Cruiser, or an LX570 but the GX was never an option.

So we test drove the LX and the wifey goes like, we'll take it!

Bought our LX simply because of it's proven reliability!

By the way... which Luxury SUV do you guys think is our closest contender?
is it the Land Rover?

For us, the RX was way too small, and the GX was designed for countries where you drive on the left. We ended up with a Land Cruiser as my main ride, and the LX470 as her's.

We bought the LC based on the reliability of the LX over the years. Get on a Rover forum for an hour or so and you'll easily understand why the Rover is not even close to Toyota reliability.

bambam2 12-20-18 09:21 AM

The closest contender to the LX is the Land Cruiser :D Maybe the Nissan Patrol? Unfortunately the new Armada in the USA doesn't get as many of the off-road components as the Patrol.

samuraj 12-20-18 11:58 AM

Wife told me to ....

Reggie1 12-20-18 02:38 PM

I had a GX470 and found it too small and under-powered. I was still working then and took my office staff out to lunch every Friday so I needed room for 8. Then I went to a 2nd genertion LX,470 which was better on space for 8, but still under-powered. Under-powered by my definition is not being able to comfortably tow a two horse trailer, loaded with two horses plus all the feed and equipment needed for a three day competition. The LX 570, with the Tundra truck 5.7L engine is a much better trailer tower than the 470s.

Now, in retirement, I still have the 3rd gen LX but it mainly is used as a farm truck. With no need for hauling 8 people any longer I just decided to keep it and re-purpose it. I bought a GM 2500HD truck for towing. The LX is really a decent hay bale, horse feed , and manure disposal hauler. I prefer it for smaller loads over the 2500 truck because of the loading height. Plus, I can slide the pallet forks on my tractor right into the back of the LX, and unload a whole pallet. I built a pallet to fit into the LX and I load feed sacks, fertilizer bags, and such directly onto the pallet.

Superbeast 12-20-18 03:47 PM

I wanted a Land Cruiser for years, and finally figured it was time. Owned a couple 4Runners, but always wanted the big guns!

When I was looking, I was open to either a LC or an LX, but around here (Houston TX) you find about 10 LXs for every Land Cruiser for sale.

My 2011 LX was the winner after checking out a good half dozen or so.

Superbeast 12-20-18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Reggie1 (Post 10389988)
I had a GX470 and found it too small and under-powered. I was still working then and took my office staff out to lunch every Friday so I needed room for 8. Then I went to a 2nd genertion LX,470 which was better on space for 8, but still under-powered. Under-powered by my definition is not being able to comfortably tow a two horse trailer, loaded with two horses plus all the feed and equipment needed for a three day competition. The LX 570, with the Tundra truck 5.7L engine is a much better trailer tower than the 470s.

Now, in retirement, I still have the 3rd gen LX but it mainly is used as a farm truck. With no need for hauling 8 people any longer I just decided to keep it and re-purpose it. I bought a GM 2500HD truck for towing. The LX is really a decent hay bale, horse feed , and manure disposal hauler. I prefer it for smaller loads over the 2500 truck because of the loading height. Plus, I can slide the pallet forks on my tractor right into the back of the LX, and unload a whole pallet. I built a pallet to fit into the LX and I load feed sacks, fertilizer bags, and such directly onto the pallet.

It's refreshing to see someone else use these as intended!

I pull a 24' travel trailer with mine, and strap my kayak on top and hit the Texas State Parks about once a month.

Twice a year I take mine out to Big Bend and hit the trails and mountains too.

I off road mine occasionally, not as much as I like, but every now and then. (see my Galveston dune thread)

:D

SaintLexus 12-20-18 07:53 PM

So is it safe to say used LCs or even most LXs are hard to come by due to low sale volume? Compared to other luxury SUVs such as the benzs, bmers, or rovers?

I also initally wanted an LC but decided to go with an LX thinking if I ended up buying an LC that I may have some buyer's remorse.

Owned a couple of Benz GL450s neither gave me any problems and I thought they were very fun to drive as they were nimble and the engines were responsive but the comfort or "relaxing or soothing" feeling, I felt, was not there.

For the LX, although it is not a problem for me, I must admit it is sluggish if I were to compare it to the GLs. Again, it is not bad for me, but for others who like that responsive throttle, I'd give it to Mercedes Benz. This is for driving on the highway.

I do think, the LX is more capable of doing off-roadings vs the GLS. Never done it and I don't know if I ever will, especially with the LX. I did buy a Sequoia recently and may consider using this for off-roading just to experience it.

fosterelli 12-21-18 06:29 AM

We've owned a lot of SUVs so I really wanted something different.

We needed an 8 passenger, our current SUVs didn't suit us. Wife's daily is the RR and only seats 5, our Escalade seats 8 but I hate it so it sits around like a sad dog, and the X5 is the daughter's daily. Since I drive my F350 everyday we essentially needed a family ride for trips and anytime we're all riding together. The LX was my first choice based on value, longevity, and the thought of making it a nice off road rig later (winch, tires, lift, snorkel, etc.). Or passing it to one of our kids. LX was last on my list for cargo room. I'm about to purchase cross bars and a Thule box for the top to help with this problem. Also don't like the LX's lack of space between a vehicle rear-ending me and my kids in the third row...not many inches of crumple before the kids are getting impacted. Scary thought so I'm always watching my mirror.

The nice thing is the LX sits in the driveway (with the sad Escalade) and only moves when another vehicle is in for service or we go somewhere as a single unit...so she should be lasting quite some time for us.

REDHORSE 12-21-18 08:24 AM

On my third since 2005 and it was a matter of reliability. There are way too many stories about service problems with all others but LC and can't find those here at all.

mbarron37 12-21-18 10:39 AM

The LX is a little long in the tooth. Should be able to get great deals on current model if/ when an all new LX is released. I have been thinking about purchasing a slightly used LX 2016 a 2018, but want to wait to see if an all new redesigned LX is in the offing. Current LX is a tank, with great reliability.

hankinid 12-21-18 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by bambam2 (Post 10389696)
The closest contender to the LX Land Cruiser is the Land Cruiser LX :D

Maybe the Nissan Patrol? Unfortunately the new Armada in the USA doesn't get as many of the off-road components as the Patrol.

Fify, just a little. ;) Based on what I've read about the Patrol, it sounds like a great truck. It's a far cry from the Armada.

Originally Posted by Superbeast (Post 10390044)
When I was looking, I was open to either a LC or an LX, but around here (Houston TX) you find about 10 LXs for every Land Cruiser for sale.

My 2011 LX was the winner after checking out a good half dozen or so.

In 2017, Toyota exported ~ 7000 200 series to the North American market...~4000 LX and ~3000 Land Cruisers.

Originally Posted by SaintLexus (Post 10390226)
So is it safe to say used LCs or even most LXs are hard to come by due to low sale volume? Compared to other luxury SUVs such as the benzs, bmers, or rovers?

I also initally wanted an LC but decided to go with an LX thinking if I ended up buying an LC that I may have some buyer's remorse.

For the LX, although it is not a problem for me, I must admit it is sluggish if I were to compare it to the GLs. Again, it is not bad for me, but for others who like that responsive throttle, I'd give it to Mercedes Benz. This is for driving on the highway.

I do think, the LX is more capable of doing off-roadings vs the GLS. Never done it and I don't know if I ever will, especially with the LX. I did buy a Sequoia recently and may consider using this for off-roading just to experience it.

They are hard to find, especially non-rust-belt trucks with by the book maintenance records.

"Sluggish" is relative. It's a 3-ton truck that still does 0 to 60 in less than 8 seconds. ;) Once you're on dirt, it's the BMW X's, Acura MDX's, and Rover's that stop on the side and let you pass...no contests.

SaintLexus 12-21-18 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by hankinid (Post 10390688)
Fify, just a little. ;) Based on what I've read about the Patrol, it sounds like a great truck. It's a far cry from the Armada.

In 2017, Toyota exported ~ 7000 200 series to the North American market...~4000 LX and ~3000 Land Cruisers
"Sluggish" is relative. It's a 3-ton truck that still does 0 to 60 in less than 8 minutes. ;) Once you're on dirt, it's the BMW X's, Acura MDX's, and Rover's that stop on the side and let you pass...no contests.

Wow... a bit surprised when you mentioned Rovers. I don't know anything about Rovers. But I would imagine, either the range rover or the land rover, would be more capable of off-roading.

Btw... thanks for the stats!

P.s. Rover owners, current or previous, you're more than welcome to chime in.

MagnumP45 12-22-18 11:33 AM

It was a long journey for me to get to the LX, but couldn't be happier with my decision!

I had always been a BMW 3 series owner, from base models to the M. After getting married and expecting a child, I went out and traded my beloved 330CI convertible for a new 2008 Nissan Pathfinder because I needed extra room and wanted something with real off-road capability. I was very pleased with the Pathfinder, but there was no luxury to it at all. After driving it for 10 years, I decided to treat myself to something better. The goal was to find something off-road capable and luxurious. By off-road, I mean camping, trails, mud, sand, snow, etc...not rock crawling.

I have always admired Jeep Grand Cherokees from afar, and especially liked the looks of the new ones, so I started researching those, but quickly found out after spending time on the jeep forums, that the do not have the reliability. Most recommended the lifetime warranty upgrade, but I didn't want to keep going to the shop all the time, so that idea was scrapped. Btw, I love Land Rovers look and heritage, but reliability was also the reason that was cancelled off the list.

I then moved to GXs. I did my research, and all things looked good. Looks, capability, and reliability all checked out. I went for a test drive and it was better than my old Pathfinder in every way possible. I decided to start looking....I was waiting for a good price on a fully loaded model. I looked almost a year just waiting for the right one. I watched all videos online, SUV reviews, etc, then one day out of the blue, I had a strange idea....

What about a Land Cruiser? I started doing research and got hooked immediately. I found a local 16 LC and went for a test drive. It was completely in another league than the GX in every way except Lexus luxury. Btw, the LC luxury is not bad at all. I would be happy to have one. I just didn't want to pay the 16 and above prices for the LC or LX. I decided to look for a 15 LX which I test drove and immediately knew I would never go back to the GX. It was just in another class.

I finally found one a couple months ago and here I am. I really love this vehicle and sometimes just make up opportunities to go out and drive it. I also like the exterior looks better than the 16+, but that's just my preference....btw, the 16+ front end is growing on me. Yes, the gas mileage is awful, and that is a little tough to get used to, but oh well. The only thing that slightly disappoints is the dated tech in the 15. I really like the inside of the 16+ much better than 15, but in the long run I can deal with it....plus there's not too many of the LXs where I live, so most think it's a brand new model.

Btw, thank you to many on this forum and ih8mud for helping my make the transition to the LX! I asked a lot of stupid questions along the way, and everyone was always helpful.

wasupdu 12-23-18 02:36 PM

Hahaha... wife wanted it. We have 2 kids and she wanted something with 3 rows that sat up high and drove like a school bus.... lol. It's great for it's intended purpose, but I wouldn't want to drive it daily. Too disconnected from the road for me. Great large SUV though.