LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX Attracting Unwelcome Attention?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 04:01 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Default LX Attracting Unwelcome Attention?

I'm wondering if other LX owners have noted more than their fair share of parking lot malicious damage? Thing like dings, scrapes, keyings, and such.

My LX has received far more damage than my similarly aged and driven GM pickup truck. As a retiree living in a rural area, my parking lots are largely skewed towards places like Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, and Tractor Supply. Do those parking their LXs in more upscale areas have a similar experience, or is it just my southern rural setting?
Old 11-16-18, 04:07 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1
I'm wondering if other LX owners have noted more than their fair share of parking lot malicious damage? Thing like dings, scrapes, keyings, and such.

My LX has received far more damage than my similarly aged and driven GM pickup truck. As a retiree living in a rural area, my parking lots are largely skewed towards places like Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, and Tractor Supply. Do those parking their LXs in more upscale areas have a similar experience, or is it just my southern rural setting?
We're in a very rural area in SW Idaho. That scat doesn't happen here, and I don't hear about it in the Boise area in general.

Looks like we shop in the same stores...horses (including pregnant mare), tractors for hay field, etc.

Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-18-18, 12:56 PM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Reggie1, what year is your LX ? I have a 2014 and I don't think it attracts any attention i love the look, but most people probably have no idea what an LX570 is and just think it's another GX460 and in Denver there are thousands of GX's I see them everywhere.
Now if I had a 2016+ LX then that design does really stand out and I think would draw attention, I love the look of the 2016+ too, but my wife thinks they look too Range-Rover'ish and doesn't like the aggressive styling.

Last edited by LX5280; 11-18-18 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-18-18, 01:00 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Not here either. I have been traveled through out many place and have not experiences any incident as OP described.
Old 11-19-18, 06:58 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

It is probably just a factor of my relocation 2 years ago to the rural deep south. The Lexus dealer is 80 miles away, and Toyota around 40 miles. It's rare to see any brand car in the local Lowes, HD, and TSC parking lots that isn't a GM, Ford, Ram, or Jeep. Tundras are barely tolerated. We have more tractor dealerships than car dealerships in town.
Old 11-19-18, 07:29 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I know what you mean. My RCF is at work with me in the "deep South". There is no other RCF for some two hours radius that I've seen in the last three years. No "premium brands" car dealerships in town. People come up to me at gas stations and stores asking me what car this is. Even the local LEOs (the new recruits. The old timers know me so I tell the new recruits to just radio in) stop me to check it out. My loud aftermarket exhaust does not help.

As far as vendalism is concerned, I don't have that. I watch where I park and for overnight or extended parking situations.......I park in a monitored secured area.

It is probably just a factor of my relocation 2 years ago to the rural deep south. The Lexus dealer is 80 miles away, and Toyota around 40 miles. It's rare to see any brand car in the local Lowes, HD, and TSC parking lots that isn't a GM, Ford, Ram, or Jeep. Tundras are barely tolerated. We have more tractor dealerships than car dealerships in town.
Old 11-20-18, 12:43 PM
fosterelli
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No problems here. We're in a suburb of Houston but often day trip to every small town in Texas. It's what we do for fun...pick a tiny town on the map and spend the day driving there, checking it out, and going home...with a good diner meal somewhere along the way. Not sure why anyone would target a specific vehicle these days. I do find myself wishing the LX was lower profile in the front (less flashy). I like low-key. The side and back are low key, but the front screams HEY LOOK! Our Escalade is also flashy, which is one of the many reasons I refuse to drive it. It spends 99% of the time in the driveway.

It's funny LX5280, I find my wife's Range Rover less aggressive styling than our LX. Although the limo-length rear door on the LWB catches some astute observers' eyes from time to time.
Old 11-21-18, 06:22 PM
OmG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't notice vandalism when parked, but for some reason my black lx attracts negativity from fellow drivers. both my wife and i get cut off fairly often when driving it, and get quite a few middle fingers for no reason. kind of bizarre. we do not get a similar reaction when driving our other cars.
Old 11-21-18, 07:46 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by OmG
i don't notice vandalism when parked, but for some reason my black lx attracts negativity from fellow drivers. both my wife and i get cut off fairly often when driving it, and get quite a few middle fingers for no reason. kind of bizarre. we do not get a similar reaction when driving our other cars.
I'll assume you do not sit in the far left lane doing the exact speed limit and no more. That said, I cannot recall getting flipped-off while living either in Texas or currently in Idaho. The old saying that an armed society is a polite society imo does hold true.

The following users liked this post:
ClaytonW (11-21-18)
Old 12-18-18, 08:02 PM
Superbeast
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never any problems. To most people its just another SUV, they probably have no idea what it is.

Honestly I always thought the 200 series kind of had Chevy Trailblazer lines from the side. I like flying under the radar, it definitely doesn't stand out like a G-Wagon does!

YMMV
Old 12-18-18, 10:24 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Tundras are barely tolerated.
Good heavens Tundras are built here in the USA, designed for the North American mkt, and are far and away better petrol trucks than the big 3 can churn out...
Old 12-20-18, 09:58 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Spray paint a rebel flag on the hood - that'll do it.
Old 12-27-18, 02:04 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I live in Los Angeles and never had an issue with either my 2010 or 2017 LXs.
Old 12-31-18, 01:38 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xfea
Spray paint a rebel flag on the hood - that'll do it.
It sure would help the LX blend in. I actually think it's the strange spindle grille that draws the eye of the redneck. Maybe I could come up with a stars and bars overlay for the LX's grille - it's the right general shape.

Confederate flags are pretty common here. This was one I saw at Lowes today. Last week there was another red truck with the same tailgate decor at Lowes also flying dual swaskika flags. In the interest of my personal safety I did not attempt to get a picture of it.
The following users liked this post:
LX5280 (01-01-19)
Old 01-01-19, 06:35 PM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I actually think it's the strange spindle grille that draws the eye of the redneck.
LOL. You may have to invest in a front metal bumper to cover up that Grill.

Quick Reply: LX Attracting Unwelcome Attention?