Roof Racks For Bicycle Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 05:50 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Roof Racks For Bicycle Options

Hello Ladies and Gents,

What crossbars do you use for an OEM roof racks?

I have an older Yakima crossbars but I hate to use it on our new vehicle. It'll just be tacky.

Your opinion matters! Photos would be a plus!

Thanks!
SL

Old 11-08-18, 08:00 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintLexus
Hello Ladies and Gents,

What crossbars do you use for an OEM roof racks?

I have an older Yakima crossbars but I hate to use it on our new vehicle. It'll just be tacky.

Your opinion matters! Photos would be a plus!

Thanks!
SL

Are you saying that your LX came without cross bars? If so, they're available via a dealer or online. Yakima and Thule make adapters that clamp around the cross bars.
The following users liked this post:
SaintLexus (11-09-18)
Old 11-08-18, 09:54 PM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the old school Yakima Ski Rack, like the 10+ year old one and was able to mount it to factory crossbars with the Yakima Might Mounts, these should work for the Bike Racks too.
As mentioned in the previous post, I would try to find the factory crossbars.
Yakima Mighty Mounts

For the Bike Rack I have the Hitch Mount which is so much nicer than trying to get it up on the roof in my opinion.

Skis / Snowboards on Factory CrossBars:

Bikes - Hitch Mount Yakima HoldUp 4

with the Harbor Freight Tow Lights as an added safety measure
Tow Lights

Last edited by LX5280; 11-09-18 at 09:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SaintLexus (11-09-18)
Old 11-09-18, 08:46 AM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid
Are you saying that your LX came without cross bars? If so, they're available via a dealer or online. Yakima and Thule make adapters that clamp around the cross bars.
Hey...

I do have the crossbars. But LX5280 and yourself nailed exactly what I need and those would be the "mighty mounts" or clamps! I still have yet a lot of figuring things out even before I purchase the link LX5280 posted above. That just simply means, I want to make sure that the said clamps would be and hopefully universal.

Also, I wonder has anyone purchased an OEM Lexus Bicycle Roof Rail or Rack? Or should I just go after market?

I am considering getting a rear hitch but the hassle of removing or putting it on can be cumbersome since our garage isn't that long and it is just right for people to walk around comfortably.

For a quick reference LX 5280 can you kindly tell me the size of our tow hitch mount.

Kindly appreciated!

SL
Old 11-09-18, 08:49 AM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

LX5280 Love the looks of the snow tires! Very nice... it seems like you truly are using the LX's capabilities on snow or mountains!
Old 11-09-18, 09:46 AM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks, they are the Nokian Rotiiva AT tires, All-Terrain tread with the Severe Snow rating, snowflake on sidewall.

Wr have the 2" hitch on our LX's. There are lots of bike rack options, Yakima, Thule, Kuat etc.
I take the bike hitch off when not using and keep in tbe garage, not that bad to take on and off , a couple minutes.
I do leave my outside plastic Hitch cover off and put another hitch cover on the hitch itself.

Old 11-09-18, 12:07 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintLexus
Hey...

I do have the crossbars. But LX5280 and yourself nailed exactly what I need and those would be the "mighty mounts" or clamps! I still have yet a lot of figuring things out even before I purchase the link LX5280 posted above. That just simply means, I want to make sure that the said clamps would be and hopefully universal.

To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, I believe the clamps are vehicle-specific. I went through that last year helping a neighbor with a rack for a GMC Suburban.

Also, I wonder has anyone purchased an OEM Lexus Bicycle Roof Rail or Rack? Or should I just go after market?

I'd go aftermarket...Toyota makes good trucks but I doubt they've designed bike racks. Oldest son and wife just installed a Kuat rack on their Sequoia...very nice but it's hitch-mounted, not rooftop.

I am considering getting a rear hitch but the hassle of removing or putting it on can be cumbersome since our garage isn't that long and it is just right for people to walk around comfortably.

The obvious trade-off is the hassle of getting the bike(s) up on top of the truck and lashing them down.

For a quick reference LX 5280 can you kindly tell me the size of our tow hitch mount.

Kindly appreciated!

SL

Originally Posted by LX5280
Thanks, they are the Nokian Rotiiva AT tires, All-Terrain tread with the Severe Snow rating, snowflake on sidewall.

Wr have the 2" hitch on our LX's. There are lots of bike rack options, Yakima, Thule, Kuat etc.
I take the bike hitch off when not using and keep in tbe garage, not that bad to take on and off , a couple minutes.
I do leave my outside plastic Hitch cover off and put another hitch cover on the hitch itself.
Nokians imo are as good as it gets for winter tires. I leave the ball installed...just a bit of insurance to cover people who never learned how to parallel park.