LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 02:14 PM
fosterelli
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement

How much are people paying for windshields? I've purchased 6 windshields in the past 16 months...the Escalade breaks whenever it rains too hard, it's had 3 in 60K miles. Anyway, just drove the Rover and the LX to LAX and back...Rover took a hit but no crack. LX took a hit and instantly split. Damn concrete mixer merging onto the freeway dumping gravel off the back.

Called our normal glass company that does all of our business and personal vehicles...OEM from the Lexus dealer, $1287.95. I always ask for/prefer OEM glass, especially with today's cameras and HUDs. Escalade has been $1K +/- a few bucks.
Old 11-07-18, 03:55 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

I paid $100 deductible on glass coverage on my 200 series, and that was for Toyota glass...same with our LX...a great deal for us as coverage is $9 per year per truck.

Installer does Lexus / Toyota glass for both dealers here, as well as MB, Porsche, Rovers, and other higher-end cars and trucks.
Old 11-09-18, 08:47 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

The insurance coverage depends on which state you are a resident of and what "coverage" is available to you at your state of residence.

​​​​​

Originally Posted by hankinid
I paid $100 deductible on glass coverage on my 200 series, and that was for Toyota glass...same with our LX...a great deal for us as coverage is $9 per year per truck.

Installer does Lexus / Toyota glass for both dealers here, as well as MB, Porsche, Rovers, and other higher-end cars and trucks.
Old 11-10-18, 07:08 AM
fosterelli
Rookie

That's correct. Because when we moved to Texas and lost our first windshield our insurer said "no glass coverage in Texas"...and we've lost a lot of glass since, dang it. I think we lost one windshield in 20 years in Oregon...and at least 10 windshields in 10 years in Texas. Go figure.
Old 11-10-18, 11:04 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
The insurance coverage depends on which state you are a resident of and what "coverage" is available to you at your state of residence.​​​​​
Thank you...

It's patently obvious that one's insurance rates, including glass replacement, are based on location. I'm in Idaho, as every post I make here indicates.

Originally Posted by fosterelli
That's correct. Because when we moved to Texas and lost our first windshield our insurer said "no glass coverage in Texas"...and we've lost a lot of glass since, dang it. I think we lost one windshield in 20 years in Oregon...and at least 10 windshields in 10 years in Texas. Go figure.
I'd summarize our windshield experiences in Texas were numerous enough that I should have been a replacement windshield guy. The great majority were on my company cars...since that was ~ 15 years ago, I cannot recall if we had glass coverage on our personal vehicles.
Old 11-10-18, 10:17 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

LOL.

What I was referring to is the state mandated windshield laws differ in each state. When I lived in FL it was great for consumers (me).....
Sure, if the deductible is WAIVED.......I would go for the windshield replacement ASAP and if they will cover OEM windshield with deductible waived....I'll insist on OEM windshield also!!!

https://www.insurancejournal.com/mag.../02/253290.htm

Originally Posted by hankinid
Thank you...

It's patently obvious that one's insurance rates, including glass replacement, are based on location. I'm in Idaho, as every post I make here indicates.

I'd summarize our windshield experiences in Texas were numerous enough that I should have been a replacement windshield guy. The great majority were on my company cars...since that was ~ 15 years ago, I cannot recall if we had glass coverage on our personal vehicles.

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-10-18 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 02:18 PM
fosterelli
Rookie

Yeah and some insurers will offer some sort of low-deductible "glass buyback". This is a lower deductible than your normal comprehensive deductible for use on glass. However, some insurers avoid certain areas/regions/states (thanks to the massive amounts of data they collect, I'm assuming they know how to avoid high-loss areas...where the law allows).