LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Extended Warranty or Not

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-18, 08:23 AM
MagnumP45
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Extended Warranty or Not

I keep thinking about getting an extended warranty on my newly purchased 2015 LX. It has 42k miles and warranty is good until Nov 2019 or 50k miles. It was not a CPO, but the non-Lexus dealership I bought it from gives a 7 yr/100k power train warranty for free. They offer what is called wrap coverage for $2200. That will cover everything else that would be covered under manufacturer warranty for 7 yr/100k. I have this week to decide whether to buy it or not (i had 30 days from purchase to get it).

I know this is one of the most reliable vehicles I could have bought. That is one of the reasons I chose the LX.

I know repairing anything on the LX will be expensive, but I don't want to throw my money away either.

I just had it at the local Lexus dealer and they said everything looked good.

What are your thoughts? I can't decide. One day I think no, the next day I think yes.
Old 11-03-18, 03:00 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

But the OEM power train warranty is already covered by Lexus so the seller is NOT really giving you anything for FREE!!!

We bought the OEM Lexus EXTENDED WARRANTY that covers after the initial OEM Lexus warranty when we bought our 2013 LX570 brand new back in 2013.

We thought we would never use it, but a couple of months ago the auto rain sensor went out. Granted this optional feature is not critical life or death thing.......but its nice to have in a vehicle like these.... After all if I'm just looking to have a vehicle that simply takes me from point A to B, then might as well just get a "Yugo" instead.

So we got it fixed with ZERO deductible and ZERO out of pocket. The bill would have been around $475.

Keep mind this generation of LX got way too many electronic gagets that can go wrong. Also that touch screen NAVI system controls not just NAVIGATION.....I don't use the NAVIGATION feature much bc I use WAZE, but there are so many other features that are part of the NAVI system. If that goes bad, a lot of other things will not work properly. You might think "I don't need IT". How about the seat warmers and coolers? While these features if not working WILL NOT leave you stranded.........but then I beg the question: . "Why spend all that money to get this Lexus LX570? A YUGO will do just fine to get you from point A to B".

I wonder if you can call up other Lexus DEALERSHIPs and buy Lexus extended warranty?

Also ask if the EXTENDED WARRANTY is an "exclusionary" or "inclusiionay" type? As I remembered when I bought a THIRD PARTY (non MB) extended warranty for my old MB SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE .....I was advised to make sure it was an "exclusionary" EXTENDED WARRANTY. Generally an "exclusionary EXTENDED WARRANTY" will spell out exactly "WHAT IS NOT COVERED"...... SO this is a much easier and better extended warranty to understand and will cover a lot more.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/...ty-tips-209520

Originally Posted by MagnumP45
I keep thinking about getting an extended warranty on my newly purchased 2015 LX. It has 42k miles and warranty is good until Nov 2019 or 50k miles. It was not a CPO, but the non-Lexus dealership I bought it from gives a 7 yr/100k power train warranty for free. They offer what is called wrap coverage for $2200. That will cover everything else that would be covered under manufacturer warranty for 7 yr/100k. I have this week to decide whether to buy it or not (i had 30 days from purchase to get it).

I know this is one of the most reliable vehicles I could have bought. That is one of the reasons I chose the LX.

I know repairing anything on the LX will be expensive, but I don't want to throw my money away either.

I just had it at the local Lexus dealer and they said everything looked good.

What are your thoughts? I can't decide. One day I think no, the next day I think yes.

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-03-18 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-03-18, 03:14 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Yes, I see your point. I guess they add an extra 30k and call it free. I am more concerned with electronic components that are covered.
Old 11-03-18, 03:26 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, EXACTLY!!! See my post above.

As a point of reference....our previous 2000 LX470 which we bought brand new with some 8 miles on the odo and traded in with 280K+ miles in 2013 for our current LX570. WE DID NOT HAVE ANY EXTENDED WARRANTY. WE DID NOT have any major issues with our LX470 during our entire ownership. Just the routine maintenance and replacement of wear and tear items which not covered anyway. The radio attena that goes up and down failed, the key turn ignition switch failed and just turn and turn but will not start, the power steering hose leaked......that was all that went wrong.... Keep in mind there were way less electronics on the prior gen LX470.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/...ty-tips-209520

Originally Posted by MagnumP45
Yes, I see your point. I guess they add an extra 30k and call it free. I am more concerned with electronic components that are covered.

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-03-18 at 03:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MagnumP45 (11-03-18)
Old 11-04-18, 06:54 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Extended warranties are usually just a waste of money. It's better to set aside money to fund repairs yourself if and when they are needed. I had one extended warranty for a car, but that was an Audu back in 1981, when the manufacturer's warranty period was only one year, and I bought another two years.

But your worry about electrical and electronic items is valid, at least in my experience. As a car owner for the past 55 years, including 6 Lexi, I recall a lot of failed elecrical items like switches, window motors and relays, fuel pumps, HVAV flap motors and gears, The flap motor was in an ES, and would have been a bit pricey, but my wife decided it was time to trade-in for an IS, so the next owner got that problem. But in 55 years only a single electronic failure - the Mark Levinson apmplifier in one of my LX vehicles. The dealer fix was around $1200, but I removed it myself, sent it off for repair, and reinstalled it myself for $600.

I think it basically comes down to a peace of mind question. Will you personally rest easier as the owner of an extended warranty? And remember, these extended warranties, like road hazard plans, and politics, are marketed to you using fear and worry as the main selling tactics.
Old 11-04-18, 07:56 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I see your point of view.

Yes, it depends on each person's comfort level. Also in the case of my auto rain sensor malfunction in our LX570 which was a covered repair with zero out of pocket expense......the Lexus dealer kept asking us if we had changed the windshield. I told THEM NO, it's got THE OEM windshield from the factory!!! Initially they DID NOT BELIEVE ME.......I told them again I HAVE NOT CHANGED THE WINDSHIELD SINCE NEW!!! GET YOUR WINDSHIELD SPECIFIALIST TO CHECK IT OUT!! IN the end they repaired the auto rain sensor free of charge under my EXTENDED WARRANTY since the OEM factory limited warranty was over.

I wonder if I had changed the windshield (OEM OR AFTERMARKET)......would the dealership pointing fingers/assigning blaim at whomever had changed my windshield???? IDK?

Originally Posted by Reggie1
Extended warranties are usually just a waste of money. It's better to set aside money to fund repairs yourself if and when they are needed. I had one extended warranty for a car, but that was an Audu back in 1981, when the manufacturer's warranty period was only one year, and I bought another two years.

But your worry about electrical and electronic items is valid, at least in my experience. As a car owner for the past 55 years, including 6 Lexi, I recall a lot of failed elecrical items like switches, window motors and relays, fuel pumps, HVAV flap motors and gears, The flap motor was in an ES, and would have been a bit pricey, but my wife decided it was time to trade-in for an IS, so the next owner got that problem. But in 55 years only a single electronic failure - the Mark Levinson apmplifier in one of my LX vehicles. The dealer fix was around $1200, but I removed it myself, sent it off for repair, and reinstalled it myself for $600.

I think it basically comes down to a peace of mind question. Will you personally rest easier as the owner of an extended warranty? And remember, these extended warranties, like road hazard plans, and politics, are marketed to you using fear and worry as the main selling tactics.
Old 11-04-18, 10:19 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I wonder if I had changed the windshield (OEM OR AFTERMARKET)......would the dealership pointing fingers/assigning blaim at whomever had changed my windshield???? IDK?
I don't understand the b**t-hurt about the rain sensor. Replacing it runs about 5 minutes if you take your time, and most of that is making sure the windshield is surgically clean before sticking a new sensor on the windshield. Sensor's can also "wear out" simply with UV exposure over time. Pointing fingers etc. seems pointless, as I've yet to see a Toyota or Lexus dealer do their own glass replacement work.

As to extended warranties...

Like any other insurance, those who make no claims fund those who do. Simple.

Imo only, the inherent reliability on Land Cruiser or LX seem like a sucker's bet...of course, some will make claims after the oem warranty dies. But the odds are definitely in your favor if you don't get an extended warranty.
Old 11-04-18, 02:25 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I get what you're saying. But when I took my LX570 back to the original selling dealer, they gave me a hard time and kept asking if I had replaced the windshield. In my case, the answer is a DEFINITELY NO.

The extended warranty is just a type of optional insurance. I agree with the notion that most of the time it is not worth it. But if you are the type who does not like surprises, then you might want to get it. If you are the type who likes to roll the dice, well then don't get it.

Originally Posted by hankinid
I don't understand the b**t-hurt about the rain sensor. Replacing it runs about 5 minutes if you take your time, and most of that is making sure the windshield is surgically clean before sticking a new sensor on the windshield. Sensor's can also "wear out" simply with UV exposure over time. Pointing fingers etc. seems pointless, as I've yet to see a Toyota or Lexus dealer do their own glass replacement work.

As to extended warranties...

Like any other insurance, those who make no claims fund those who do. Simple.

Imo only, the inherent reliability on Land Cruiser or LX seem like a sucker's bet...of course, some will make claims after the oem warranty dies. But the odds are definitely in your favor if you don't get an extended warranty.
Old 11-04-18, 04:36 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

The extended warranty is just a type of optional insurance. I agree with the notion that most of the time it is not worth it. But if you are the type who does not like surprises, then you might want to get it. If you are the type who likes to roll the dice, well then don't get it.
The surprise I did not need was the F&I guy attempting to shove an extended warranty down my throat, after I had an email the day before quoting a firm price on my 200. When I spoke with the GSM to get the quote, I advised him that I'd walk out the door and fly back home if the F&I guy offered paint "protection", interior stain "protection", and / or an extended warranty. I damn near flew home that afternoon.
Old 11-05-18, 06:28 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

You should NOT be surprised.

IT IS THEIR JOB TO OFFICIALLY OFFER THE EXTENDED WARRANTY AND WHATEVER ELSE TO YOU or they will loose their job. All you gotta do is to say, "no thank you and this IS my final AND ONLY answer and PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME AGAIN OR I WILL GET UP AND WALK OUT!!!" .They are just doing their jobs.

I did that for our RX450h, CT200h, RCF, and way way back for our LX470 (which we don't own anymore) and our other vehicles. The only one we did the Lexus Extended Warranty is the LX570.

​​​​​​

The surprise I did not need was the F&I guy attempting to shove an extended warranty down my throat, after I had an email the day before quoting a firm price on my 200. When I spoke with the GSM to get the quote, I advised him that I'd walk out the door and fly back home if the F&I guy offered paint "protection", interior stain "protection", and / or an extended warranty. I damn near flew home that afternoon.
Old 11-05-18, 07:28 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Thanks everyone for your input. It’s much appreciated.
Old 11-06-18, 08:53 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

You should NOT be surprised.

IT IS THEIR JOB TO OFFICIALLY OFFER THE EXTENDED WARRANTY AND WHATEVER ELSE TO YOU or they will loose their job. ​​​​​​
I'd say the job loss would have been highly unlikely as F&I guy was the dealership owners son-in-law.
Old 11-06-18, 08:09 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Still he's gotta do "his thing" in trying to get more money out of you......still his "duty". Family or not.

Very easy to deal with......all you gotta do is say NO THANK YOU.

I'd say the job loss would have been highly unlikely as F&I guy was the dealership owners son-in-law.
Old 11-07-18, 09:51 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

First of all remember insurance companies are not in business to protect you they are in business to make money.

Now, having said that, in spring of this year I bought two new vehicles, a new LX and a Cayanne Turbo. I've had 3 LX's and have never had a problem, but I'll admit I'm seriously considering an extended warranty for the Porsche. I'm willing to take my chances on the LX.
Old 11-07-18, 03:58 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Still he's gotta do "his thing" in trying to get more money out of you......still his "duty". Family or not.

Very easy to deal with......all you gotta do is say NO THANK YOU.
That was said 3 times during the conversation as he kept dropping the price.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty or Not