LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 01:44 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel Alignment

Has anyone get their alignment done? With outside shop instead of dealer, and what did it cost? Thanks
Old 10-22-18, 05:03 PM
ssagaji
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firestone's Lifetime Alignment had a coupon so it came out to under $200. Don't remember exactly but it was closer to $180.

Fine print is once every 6 months or 6000 miles so getting it done 3 or 4 times pretty much pays for itself - as long as one keeps their car for a long time, I guess. Haven't gone in myself so far because Firestone locations are very hit and miss - more miss than hit- and the one I like is at least 30 minutes away from me.

Last edited by ssagaji; 10-22-18 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 08:44 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

I went to Ted Wiens in Las Vegas today for a slight pull to the right. This place is one of Firestones dealer, hoping that they have the life time also. Nope, $90 for the alignment, sure go for it. About 15 min later, guy came in says this LX570 need to have a scan after the alignment, total will be $180. I said no, give me back my SUV. Went to another place $69 total cost.
I hate crooked mechanics
Old 10-22-18, 09:00 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Roads here in Florida Smooth as glass don’t really need alignment
Old 10-23-18, 08:44 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

My local Firestone last year was unable to do alignment on our LX570 after they put it on the racks. They said they don't have the tools and software to do it. But the day before, the same shop did our RX450h without any problems (Lifetime for around $149, as I recall).

So we took our LX570 to a local Toyota dealership and got it done for around $129 as I recall. Not lifetime though.

Originally Posted by ssagaji
Firestone's Lifetime Alignment had a coupon so it came out to under $200. Don't remember exactly but it was closer to $180.

Fine print is once every 6 months or 6000 miles so getting it done 3 or 4 times pretty much pays for itself - as long as one keeps their car for a long time, I guess. Haven't gone in myself so far because Firestone locations are very hit and miss - more miss than hit- and the one I like is at least 30 minutes away from me.
Old 10-23-18, 04:24 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Has been discussed before. The problem is, even if you take it to a Toyota dealer, is that they don't understand the AHC. The vehicle must be at the traveling height to do a proper alignment. I know. Had it done at my Indy and it was a mess. Took it to the dealer and they didn't have any problem at all. Indy does work on many high end cars, Bentlys, Porsches, etc. But the LX AHC is unique and therefore not widely understood.
Old 10-23-18, 05:24 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
Has been discussed before. The problem is, even if you take it to a Toyota dealer, is that they don't understand the AHC. The vehicle must be at the traveling height to do a proper alignment. I know. Had it done at my Indy and it was a mess. Took it to the dealer and they didn't have any problem at all. Indy does work on many high end cars, Bentlys, Porsches, etc. But the LX AHC is unique and therefore not widely understood.
Then the trick becomes finding an indy shop that does Toyota, Lexus, and Scion all the time. My indy shop in Boise is better with TIS than the Lexus dealer. Local Toyota dealer has no issues with AHC and even stocks the only correct AHC fluid.
Old 10-23-18, 05:54 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
Then the trick becomes finding an indy shop that does Toyota, Lexus, and Scion all the time. My indy shop in Boise is better with TIS than the Lexus dealer. Local Toyota dealer has no issues with AHC and even stocks the only correct AHC fluid.
When I was car shopping recently and looking at a Land Cruiser, the dealership had never even heard of AHC. Several came out to watch my car go up and down.
Old 10-23-18, 11:13 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VQT
I went to Ted Wiens in Las Vegas today for a slight pull to the right. This place is one of Firestones dealer, hoping that they have the life time also. Nope, $90 for the alignment, sure go for it. About 15 min later, guy came in says this LX570 need to have a scan after the alignment, total will be $180. I said no, give me back my SUV. Went to another place $69 total cost.
I hate crooked mechanics

Where did you end up going? I’m in LV also and need one done too.
Old 10-24-18, 07:45 AM
ssagaji
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh wow I'm glad I didn't get one done as soon as I bought the plan. Better double check and get my $$$ back...

Originally Posted by lexusrus
My local Firestone last year was unable to do alignment on our LX570 after they put it on the racks. They said they don't have the tools and software to do it. But the day before, the same shop did our RX450h without any problems (Lifetime for around $149, as I recall).

So we took our LX570 to a local Toyota dealership and got it done for around $129 as I recall. Not lifetime though.
Old 10-24-18, 10:58 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The local Firestone shop did refund/credit back after they said they could not do alignment on our LX570. I still think it could be done at Firestone, but the adjustable height control is not familiar to the tech so he just took the easy eay out and said he can not do it.

Originally Posted by ssagaji
Oh wow I'm glad I didn't get one done as soon as I bought the plan. Better double check and get my $$$ back...
Old 10-24-18, 11:00 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Sounded like the shop was trying to SCAM you, not SCAN the LX!!! LOL

Originally Posted by telmz1

Old 10-25-18, 08:27 AM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I did my alignment at the dealer every time I changed tires. (About every 40,000 miles or so) Here in Southern California, it was $129.00. In the past, I used to buy tires from Costco or America's tires. Purchased last set from the Dealer. They came within $50.00 of the tire stores and did the tires and alignment. The convenience of a loaner and doing it at the dealer was worth the extra $50.00. (Just replaced my tires and did an alignment on my 2017 Mercedes S550 at the Mercedes dealer too) Dealers are now willing to match the tire store prices so much more convenient to replace them at the dealer and get the alignment done at the same time. (And having the convenience of a loaner helps) Negotiate tire prices with your dealer. Most will negotiate.
The following users liked this post:
Max707 (10-26-18)
Old 10-26-18, 02:57 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

True that.

But for me the nearest Lexus dealership is about an hour away. There is an America's Tire shop 5 minutes away. They offer best prices and will match any legit competitors. Also free tire rotations and flat repairs (even if you did not buy from them)!!!!

Originally Posted by Ashron
I did my alignment at the dealer every time I changed tires. (About every 40,000 miles or so) Here in Southern California, it was $129.00. In the past, I used to buy tires from Costco or America's tires. Purchased last set from the Dealer. They came within $50.00 of the tire stores and did the tires and alignment. The convenience of a loaner and doing it at the dealer was worth the extra $50.00. (Just replaced my tires and did an alignment on my 2017 Mercedes S550 at the Mercedes dealer too) Dealers are now willing to match the tire store prices so much more convenient to replace them at the dealer and get the alignment done at the same time. (And having the convenience of a loaner helps) Negotiate tire prices with your dealer. Most will negotiate.
Old 10-29-18, 02:08 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by telmz1

I went to Tire Works, but after reading the response, maybe Ted Wiens was correct on charging me to use scan tool to check the height of the LX after the wheel alignment...

Quick Reply: Wheel Alignment