LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Newbie questions on first Lexus LX570 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-18, 11:51 AM
JerryS98
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Newbie questions on first Lexus LX570 Purchase

Local Lexus dealer has a 2014 LX570 for sale. One owner trade-in, 89k miles, full maintenance records. Couple of questions I would like to get answered prior to pulling the trigger:
  • Does anyone know what the latest navigation/map update version is? Would like to make sure its up to date
  • Have there been any other software updates to various systems I should look out for? ECU/DME, Transmission, etc?
Anything else I should look out for? Car is going to be for my wife so I want to make sure everything is taken care of and up to date.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-18, 06:02 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

The OEM NAV is not all that good. So we don't really use it, but it's there bc it is all intergrated in the "infotainment system". We use WAZE instead.

Ours is 2013. If the one you are looking at was serviced at a Lexus dealership, you can ask the seller to either show you all receipts or just go to the Lexus dealership and ask for a printout.

Originally Posted by JerryS98
Local Lexus dealer has a 2014 LX570 for sale. One owner trade-in, 89k miles, full maintenance records. Couple of questions I would like to get answered prior to pulling the trigger:
  • Does anyone know what the latest navigation/map update version is? Would like to make sure its up to date
  • Have there been any other software updates to various systems I should look out for? ECU/DME, Transmission, etc?
Anything else I should look out for? Car is going to be for my wife so I want to make sure everything is taken care of and up to date.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-18, 05:28 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Of the several brands of vehicles I've owned over the past 20 years, which includes 3 LX's, BMW's, Porsche's, the Lexus has the worst nav system. I have a Garmin that I use when I need accurate up to date info. Less expensive than the map upgrade from Lexus and more accurate, plus I get free updates several times a year.

Waze??? OK, if you are where there is a lot of participating traffic. Just isn't the case where I live or travel.
Old 10-17-18, 07:58 PM
JerryS98
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply's, very helpful thus far.

We have the car for extended test drive and inspection until tomorrow. I have found a few issues, such as front park distance sensors not working, but the biggest one is the undercarriage rust. Please see attached pictures. Is this normal for a high end Lexus?

Old 10-17-18, 08:01 PM
JerryS98
Driver School Candidate

Last edited by JerryS98; 10-17-18 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 08:02 PM
JerryS98
Driver School Candidate

Old 10-17-18, 11:51 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

IDK, the rust MAYBE superficial, but it MAYBE DEEP. OUR 2013 LX570 has NO RUSTS ANYWHERE. Our old 2000 LX470 with 280K+ miles when we traded in in 2013 for another brand new LX570 DID NOT HAVE ANY RUSTS WHATSOEVER!!! But I'm in SoCal though.

That LX570 must have been in the NORTH with lots of salt sprays?

Why are there hand written markings on the differential housing? Seemed like that part was a replacement part came from some used car parts store bin with markings to identify it. I don't have these markings on my current LX570 not on my orevprev LX470

Old 10-18-18, 11:46 AM
fosterelli
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ran out to ours...15K miles, no rust whatsoever.

However, I looked at the rear differential, also some markings. Appear to be assembly line/QC marks. I didn't take the time to see the differences between the posted version and mine, but definitely I have some paint pen, handwritten marks typical of any new vehicle.
Old 10-18-18, 11:48 AM
JerryS98
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Can anyone tell from the pictures I provided if the car is missing any of the protective panels that cover the underside of the chassis?
Old 10-18-18, 01:25 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went out and checked my 2015 LX with 41k miles and it looked nothing like your photos. There were a few bolts that had very light superficial rust, but everything else looked clean. Not sure what to say about your situation.
Old 10-18-18, 01:41 PM
JerryS98
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MagnumP45
I just went out and checked my 2015 LX with 41k miles and it looked nothing like your photos. There were a few bolts that had very light superficial rust, but everything else looked clean. Not sure what to say about your situation.
Based on my research thus far it appears that any Lexus that is driven in a winter climate tends to rust like this. I have a '06 BMW X5 that has been driven in the snow since new and does not have this kind of rust.
Old 10-18-18, 08:47 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Thanks!
You can get both the latest nav version as well as other ECU info from your friendly local Lexus service manager, or a good independent shop. I tend to use dedicated Garmin gps on both trucks as it does a much better job off-road.

Thanks for the reply's, very helpful thus far.

We have the car for extended test drive and inspection until tomorrow. I have found a few issues, such as front park distance sensors not working, but the biggest one is the undercarriage rust. Please see attached pictures. Is this normal for a high end Lexus?
It's normal if the truck has lived in a state that uses NaCl in the winter. VIN number will give you location of the owner(s) at delivery, and show services done at Lexus dealers anywhere in North America. Rust is normal for any thing from a Corolla to an LX...looks to me like any wrenching planned needs to be prepared for with a bunch of wire brushing, rust penetrant, and maybe a nut splitter and a bit of oxy/acetylene.

Personally, I'd run.

Originally Posted by lexusrus
IDK, the rust MAYBE superficial, but it MAYBE DEEP. OUR 2013 LX570 has NO RUSTS ANYWHERE. Our old 2000 LX470 with 280K+ miles when we traded in in 2013 for another brand new LX570 DID NOT HAVE ANY RUSTS WHATSOEVER!!! But I'm in SoCal though.

That LX570 must have been in the NORTH with lots of salt sprays?

Why are there hand written markings on the differential housing? Seemed like that part was a replacement part came from some used car parts store bin with markings to identify it. I don't have these markings on my current LX570 not on my orevprev LX470
I've got similar marks on our series 100 and 200..

Based on my research thus far it appears that any Lexus that is driven in a winter climate tends to rust like this. I have a '06 BMW X5 that has been driven in the snow since new and does not have this kind of rust.
I'd suggest better undercoating before delivery. If I were in a rust belt looking for a 200 series, I'd broaden my outlook. 200 series delivered to the US Gulf States market can get optional undercoating added at the POE...it has a more or less bulletproof rep.
Old 10-18-18, 08:54 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Thanks! Can anyone tell from the pictures I provided if the car is missing any of the protective panels that cover the underside of the chassis?
From bumper to the rear...

A plastic panel on both sides directly under the front corner of the bumper...plastic on my '13.

A metal panel on each side, left side has access panel for oil filter; right side has a similar panel for the oil pan drain plug.

Each of those 2 panels mount to the frame on the outside and to a single panel running from bumper center back.

Plastic panel at the rear...mounts to the frame in the rear and the metal panels in front.

So, 6 panels in total.

There's also a center reinforcement member running from the transfer case rearward, but I would not call it a panel.

It's critical that an anti-seize compound is applied to the bunch of bolts that mount the panels prior to reinstalling. Bolts a foot above the road can rust quickly.
Old 11-10-18, 05:31 PM
rmawyer
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely more rust than you should see in a southern truck. Guys up north would said it looks fine. ;-)

That said, the 570 seems to show more surface rust than the 470, solely based on what I've seen as a long time user on IH8Mud and my own 470 and 570, both south Texas trucks.

Ralph @ San Antonio, Texas
2013 LX570 - Stock w/ARB Drawers and Rock Warriors/KO2s (and has seen more dirt than the 470)
2007 LX470 - TJM bumper, Slee Sliders, African Outback Drawers and Cooper AT2s.
(Tentatively For Sale if I can pull the trigger. Circa $21k with $800 of OEM maintenance bits. 140k miles)
1997 LX450 - ARB Bumper and Slee Sliders (Sold)

Last edited by rmawyer; 11-10-18 at 05:34 PM.