LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2008-2011 LX570 LED headlight conversion recommendations

Old 09-16-18, 06:32 PM
SulaimanEK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008-2011 LX570 LED headlight conversion recommendations

I started to use my father's previous daily driver (2009 LX570) and started to notice that the lighting in the headlights are weak and look outdated. I saw many LED conversion kits online but don't know which is best. I'm looking forward to change every single exterior bulb to make my car look great again.
Old 09-16-18, 06:52 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i would vote for quality HID conversion; i did mine fogs/headlights with xenon depot; looks stock and the light output is much better than LEDs. if you are looking for more of color and show then LEDs are cooler looking but they scatter the light alot in the the housing of the LX570
Originally Posted by SulaimanEK
I started to use my father's previous daily driver (2009 LX570) and started to notice that the lighting in the headlights are weak and look outdated. I saw many LED conversion kits online but don't know which is best. I'm looking forward to change every single exterior bulb to make my car look great again.
The following users liked this post:
SulaimanEK (09-16-18)
Old 09-16-18, 07:08 PM
SulaimanEK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UZ214
i would vote for quality HID conversion; i did mine fogs/headlights with xenon depot; looks stock and the light output is much better than LEDs. if you are looking for more of color and show then LEDs are cooler looking but they scatter the light alot in the the housing of the LX570
Which Brand HID did you recommend? You sold me in the HID's
Old 09-17-18, 08:42 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i went with 4300k color output and here is the kit i got / they give 10% off to clublexus members- i have bought kits from them for every Lexus i owned, once had a issue for the ISF fogs HOD kit, they replaced the whole kit like a year later for warranty. to note i had really good LEDs in the fogs in the Lx i took them out and put in a HID kit because it would cause a lot of glare. they are worth the extra money over ebay cheap kits.

https://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-K...-p/vdp-h11.htm

Which Brand HID did you recommend? You sold me in the HID's
Old 10-07-18, 07:13 AM
4N6
Driver School Candidate

I used SeaLight LED for low beam and high beams. They were cheap, and plug and play. Great light quality, and are just as bright as any HID I have ever had.

I want to say the low beam projectors were
Low Beam SeaLight Low Beam SeaLight
The High Beams were
SeaLight high beams SeaLight high beams

About 80 bucks for all 4 bulbs.

Also upgraded the lights on the running boards which were super yellow and dated to LED: running board lights
They were also plug and play, and dimmable
Old 10-08-18, 06:09 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I went through this almost a year ago. I was happy with these LEDs. Affordable and easy to install.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...011-lx570.html
Old 10-11-18, 12:58 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

I would recommend doing an actual conversion. Not just a slap-in kit with rebased poorly made aftermarket bulbs. That's a plug-in. Not a conversion.

Those headlights are huge so you should have a lot of room to work with. It would yield the best, safest result, not causing any unwanted glare. Especially for a high riding vehicle like the LX. you'd be blinding people unnecessarily with a cheap slap-in kit.

I'd recommend taking a look at RX350 projectors, or Morimoto D2S projectors and running high quality bulbs out of Germany (OSRAM CBI)

i've done several professional Lexus retrofits and the results are stunning.

Of course you'd have to be familiar with DIY, wiring, opening up your headlights. Maybe i should do this for a fee. haha
Old 10-12-18, 06:23 AM
F350
Pole Position

Can you still retrofit even if there’s the AFS ?

Originally Posted by E46CT
I would recommend doing an actual conversion. Not just a slap-in kit with rebased poorly made aftermarket bulbs. That's a plug-in. Not a conversion.

Those headlights are huge so you should have a lot of room to work with. It would yield the best, safest result, not causing any unwanted glare. Especially for a high riding vehicle like the LX. you'd be blinding people unnecessarily with a cheap slap-in kit.

I'd recommend taking a look at RX350 projectors, or Morimoto D2S projectors and running high quality bulbs out of Germany (OSRAM CBI)

i've done several professional Lexus retrofits and the results are stunning.

Of course you'd have to be familiar with DIY, wiring, opening up your headlights. Maybe i should do this for a fee. haha
​​​​​​​

Last edited by F350; 10-13-18 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 01:17 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

While a full-on projector retrofit is going to give you better results than working with a reflector housing and a conversion kit, you can still get good results from conversions as well. You are always going to get the best results from a housing by putting the bulb type it was originally designed for in there, but you can still do upgrades in many cases.

While I not know whether your vehicle has a projector or reflector style Low Beam housing, here are a couple links to reviews/pictures of our H11 LED Headlight Kit performing in both styles:

2016 Ram 1500 H11 LED Kit Review - not a Lexus, I know, but it's still an H11 reflector housing and it has this great picture showing the match to the OEM beam pattern, so it can give you an idea of what to expect:

2017 Lexus CT200h H11 LED Kit Review - this shows off a Toyota/Lexus 'Koito' projector with the kit

~Robert
Old 10-19-18, 08:39 AM
twinturbov
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been through just about every permutation of HID :35W, 55W, 4300K, 6000K, cheapies off eBay, quality full on Phillips kist. I have also mixed LED in with HID low beams, LED fogs and high beams, etc..

Until the recent availability of high lumen LEDs, 4300K HID was the way to go, for me at least, for low and fog.

Today I run LED high,low,fog,and marker light. Again, with the higher lumen LEDs on the market today, I get a better swath of light vs HID on the road with the low beams, really impressive when the fogs are also on, and when I use the high beams it is awesome, especially when on raods with zero or little lighting. The LED high beams just seem to illuminate everything as far as the eye can see.

Because the fog lights are not poly ellipsoid they do scatter a lot of light with both LED and HID bulbs into the eye level of oncoming traffic. So, I don't use them unless the nighttime weather requires it. And if that's the case, the oncoming drivers may not be dealing with any glare anyhow. Again, the LEDs I have throw awesome light one the ground, more so than my best set of HIDs.

I think my LEDs throw out about 6000lm. They are claimed to throw out 12,000lm per bulb. They were around $48 per pair a little of a year ago when I bought three sets of H11 and one pair of 9005. I bought three H11's so I would have replacement bulbs on hands for when a bulb would inevitably burn out or start to flicker. That third box is still unopened. I am amazed at the longevity of these LEDs and same quality of illumination they have from day one of installation.

I bought mine from eBay. However, Amazon has plenty of selection as well and their return process is so easy that if you aren't satisfied with the bulbs you installed, easy return and try another set.

I went through this with my our recently acquired 2010 LS460 for high beam and fog and went with this brand for both and they are noticeably stronger than what we have in the LX. Fogs still scatter but high beams are even more insane as they have a poly ellipsoid projector and laser focus the light. The fogs when on, completely drown out the OEM HID low beam on the road surface and into the periphery where the fog puts down light. The low beams obviously focus its light better and further, and I have yet to need to use the fog lights. But they are fun to blaze when rolling into the quiet neighborhood at night because it's just that impressive.

Amazon Amazon

I know there are many opinions out there about what's the best or right way to go when it comes to changing bulbs in headlamps and fog lamps. Neither my wife nor I drive around fog lights ablazin' all the time. Not our style, she understands the impolite glare oncoming drivers will have to deal with. Ironically, our LX470 did have projector fogs and I ran 4300k HID through those and it rocked.

I will confess that I did not replace the cover for any of the light housings in the LX570 for which these bulbs were changed. Never been an issue, and it allows the AFS to operate unimpeded.

Pics below are kind of dated but give you an idea of the clean look all LED bulbs provide. Just to clarify, that is the running light bulb not the high beam that shows in the top pic. Also, in terms of the 921 LED or whatever it is, I used one that is only throwing the light forward like a mini projector. No LED chips on the side. I had a set with LED all over but it fills the high beam housing with too much weak light.

I can't find my night pics of the illumination. I'll take some over the weekend from both cars from the drivers point of view.

Old 10-20-18, 05:50 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Well said.

The higher powered aftermarket LEDs within the last few years are pretty good.

I replaced the fogs on our 2013 LX570 and 2013 RX450h with aftermarket LEDs (the low beams and high beams got original OEM HIDs). I replaced the low beams and fogs with aftermarket LEDs on our 2013 CT200h (kept the high beam on OEM halogen) as well. All these ran without any problems for 3+ years now. One of the low beam LEDs on the CT200h burnt out a little bit over a year an the vendor replaced with a generation PAIR of newer LEDs free of charge since the old LEDs are out of production.

I'm like you, I have a box set of a pair of the same H11 brand new LEDs as a back up spare.

Still some hard core folks insist on spending thousands of dollars on full replacement lighting units on a 5+ year old vehicle (Ok, LX's are more special)!!!!! I guess whatever floats their "boat" and make them happy!!!

Originally Posted by twinturbov
I have been through just about every permutation of HID :35W, 55W, 4300K, 6000K, cheapies off eBay, quality full on Phillips kist. I have also mixed LED in with HID low beams, LED fogs and high beams, etc..

Until the recent availability of high lumen LEDs, 4300K HID was the way to go, for me at least, for low and fog.

Today I run LED high,low,fog,and marker light. Again, with the higher lumen LEDs on the market today, I get a better swath of light vs HID on the road with the low beams, really impressive when the fogs are also on, and when I use the high beams it is awesome, especially when on raods with zero or little lighting. The LED high beams just seem to illuminate everything as far as the eye can see.

Because the fog lights are not poly ellipsoid they do scatter a lot of light with both LED and HID bulbs into the eye level of oncoming traffic. So, I don't use them unless the nighttime weather requires it. And if that's the case, the oncoming drivers may not be dealing with any glare anyhow. Again, the LEDs I have throw awesome light one the ground, more so than my best set of HIDs.

I think my LEDs throw out about 6000lm. They are claimed to throw out 12,000lm per bulb. They were around $48 per pair a little of a year ago when I bought three sets of H11 and one pair of 9005. I bought three H11's so I would have replacement bulbs on hands for when a bulb would inevitably burn out or start to flicker. That third box is still unopened. I am amazed at the longevity of these LEDs and same quality of illumination they have from day one of installation.

I bought mine from eBay. However, Amazon has plenty of selection as well and their return process is so easy that if you aren't satisfied with the bulbs you installed, easy return and try another set.

I went through this with my our recently acquired 2010 LS460 for high beam and fog and went with this brand for both and they are noticeably stronger than what we have in the LX. Fogs still scatter but high beams are even more insane as they have a poly ellipsoid projector and laser focus the light. The fogs when on, completely drown out the OEM HID low beam on the road surface and into the periphery where the fog puts down light. The low beams obviously focus its light better and further, and I have yet to need to use the fog lights. But they are fun to blaze when rolling into the quiet neighborhood at night because it's just that impressive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know there are many opinions out there about what's the best or right way to go when it comes to changing bulbs in headlamps and fog lamps. Neither my wife nor I drive around fog lights ablazin' all the time. Not our style, she understands the impolite glare oncoming drivers will have to deal with. Ironically, our LX470 did have projector fogs and I ran 4300k HID through those and it rocked.

I will confess that I did not replace the cover for any of the light housings in the LX570 for which these bulbs were changed. Never been an issue, and it allows the AFS to operate unimpeded.

Pics below are kind of dated but give you an idea of the clean look all LED bulbs provide. Just to clarify, that is the running light bulb not the high beam that shows in the top pic. Also, in terms of the 921 LED or whatever it is, I used one that is only throwing the light forward like a mini projector. No LED chips on the side. I had a set with LED all over but it fills the high beam housing with too much weak light.

I can't find my night pics of the illumination. I'll take some over the weekend from both cars from the drivers point of view.