LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

GX or LX

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 09:15 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GX or LX

For about a year I have been on this site (and everywhere else on the internet) reading everything I can find and watching every video I can find about the GX460. I have also been actively looking for one since May, but unable to find the exact one for the price I want to pay. My goal is to find a very low mileage 2017 GX luxury with Sport Design Package and Driver Support package for $49-50k. Prices have not settled down to that point unless the mileage is higher. I think I should be able to find one by the end of the year that meets those specs and price.

Today, out of nowhere, I started thinking about LXs. I had previously written them off due to the price alone, plus I don't need a huge vehicle. But, then I started to do a little research on prices and am seeing that I can get into a 2015 LX with approx 30k miles for $49-50k. That is just from a quick search on Autotrader. Then I start thinking why not the LX. Yes it is the older body style, but it still looks nice and has all the luxury features that the GX has. In fact the 2017 GX infotainment looks the same as the 2015 LX, and most LXs I've seen come with the rear entertainment system which is important for the kids. Most GXs do not (although I've seen some nice aftermarket mods on this site to fix that).

So, I know the LX is almost out of warranty (concerning when buying a used car without history), and the gas mileage is worse than GX. So, basically if you were in the market for a Lexus SUV and the prices were exactly the same, would you choose the 2015 LX or the 2017 GX?

Btw, its just myself, wife, and two girls 5 and 9....and a dog. We take road trips, go camping some, not any serious off-roading. It will be my daily driver and I work from home, so I won't put a ton of miles on it anyway.

So, in short, am I crazy for getting this idea or should I look into it further? Or, should I just hang in there and wait for the perfect GX to materialize soon? Any thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated...btw, I put this in the GX forum also to get different perspectives.
Old 09-05-18, 11:28 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

LX and GX are very different vehicles. Try to drive them first.
Old 09-06-18, 05:20 AM
MagnumP45
Driver

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
Great point. There are no 2015 LXs anywhere near me to test drive. But I can find a 2016. I realize the 2016 is a refresh, but how much different would it drive from the 2015?
Old 09-06-18, 06:09 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumP45
Great point. There are no 2015 LXs anywhere near me to test drive. But I can find a 2016. I realize the 2016 is a refresh, but how much different would it drive from the 2015?
Drive the 2016 for a general feel of the way an LX drives. It may be slightly different from the 2015 but not much. Having owned both a GX and currently owning an LX, the LX is the right vehicle for our family. I rode in a 2017 GX a few months ago and thought it was nice - definitely better than the 2004 model we had - but you will notice how skinny a GX is compared to an LX once you drive both of them.
The following users liked this post:
MagnumP45 (09-06-18)
Old 09-06-18, 06:52 AM
aldouschiu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned both 2005, 2008 GX470 and currently driving 2018 LX570. The only reason I upgraded to LX570 was I just had my second baby few months ago. I was hoping for bigger second row space because of the infant car seat taking up a lot of space. In reality it's not much spacier than GX470. It's definitely wider and longer but still feel not enough space once I put the car seat. I have factory DVD players behind the headrest making problem worse as DVD player always rubbing again the car seat(rear facing). In addition, the ride is too soft and body roll is way more than GX. I have complains from rear passenger feeling dizzy after a short ride. On top of that I definitely go gas station way more often. It's average about 13 mpg show on my dash and range only around 270 miles a tank. I used 87 for my GX470 but using premium with my LX570. It definitely cost more in gas. GX470 also more responsive and versatile as well.
Reason I chose LX570.
new 2016 or newer LX570 interior is way better than GX460 or GX470 they are quite outdated. (If you are looking at 2015 model, you might not feel this is one of the reason to upgrade)
It's little bit wider. If you have more than 4 passengers, the passenger sit in the middle will be just fine. (Third row little bit more room than GX470 or GX460 but still for kids)
If you need to tow things over 3500 pounds, you might go with LX570 as it can tow around 7k pounds.

MagnumP45 (09-06-18)
Old 09-06-18, 03:04 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
i had a chance to drive a 2013 LX today. I don’t think there are any significant differences in that and 2015 LX. I though the drive was great! I actually like the roominess and ride more than I thought I would. However it seemed very dated to me as far as the controls and technology. Still unsure what to do....
Old 09-07-18, 05:13 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

i had a chance to drive a 2013 LX today. I don’t think there are any significant differences in that and 2015 LX. I though the drive was great! I actually like the roominess and ride more than I thought I would. However it seemed very dated to me as far as the controls and technology. Still unsure what to do....
Did it feel outdated compared to the newer GX that you're looking at? Or just feel outdated in general? We have a 2010 and given it has streaming BT and rear entertainment, that's pretty much all the tech we were looking for as requirements. Our kids very rarely have interest in watching a movie using the LX screen- they'd prefer using their iPads which is fine by us since it allows them to use iPads and headphones and we can listen to whatever we want on the radio.

Blind spot monitoring would be nice but I don't know when that showed up in the LX. What kind of technology are you looking for that's lacking? And is it present in the newer GX you're interested in?
MagnumP45 (09-07-18)
Old 09-07-18, 11:01 AM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

LX for sure. GX is pretty ugly.. Of course in my opinion
MagnumP45 (09-07-18)
Old 09-07-18, 11:33 AM
MagnumP45
Driver

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Did it feel outdated compared to the newer GX that you're looking at? Or just feel outdated in general? We have a 2010 and given it has streaming BT and rear entertainment, that's pretty much all the tech we were looking for as requirements. Our kids very rarely have interest in watching a movie using the LX screen- they'd prefer using their iPads which is fine by us since it allows them to use iPads and headphones and we can listen to whatever we want on the radio.

Blind spot monitoring would be nice but I don't know when that showed up in the LX. What kind of technology are you looking for that's lacking? And is it present in the newer GX you're interested in?
Yes, it felt outdated compared to 2017 GX and the 2016 LX.

However, I did find a 2016 Land Cruiser near my house. I went and test drove it and really loved it. Now I'm even more confused because my cap is $50k and they were asking $64k for the LC. Maybe I will have to wait another year for prices to fall and try to get in a 2016 LC or LX depending on which one pops up at my price first.
Old 09-07-18, 11:41 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Yes, it felt outdated compared to 2017 GX and the 2016 LX.

However, I did find a 2016 Land Cruiser near my house. I went and test drove it and really loved it. Now I'm even more confused because my cap is $50k and they were asking $64k for the LC. Maybe I will have to wait another year for prices to fall and try to get in a 2016 LC or LX depending on which one pops up at my price first.
You may have to wait more than a year - the LC and LX both hold their values really well. Dropping from the $60k range to $50k would be almost a 20% decline - the depreciation table of these wouldn't support that big of a move that quickly. If you're in a position to be patient, I'd wait and just keep looking. Ultimately you'll find what you want and time is on your side.
Old 09-07-18, 11:48 AM
MagnumP45
Driver

You may have to wait more than a year - the LC and LX both hold their values really well. Dropping from the $60k range to $50k would be almost a 20% decline - the depreciation table of these wouldn't support that big of a move that quickly. If you're in a position to be patient, I'd wait and just keep looking. Ultimately you'll find what you want and time is on your side.
Don't burst my bubble. I'm sticking at a year

In all seriousness, I'm really pleasantly surprised that the LC didn't feel like a massive boat (I think of Suburban) that I thought it would. Now I'm really questioning the jump from GX to LX/LC.
Old 09-07-18, 12:24 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Don't burst my bubble. I'm sticking at a year

In all seriousness, I'm really pleasantly surprised that the LC didn't feel like a massive boat (I think of Suburban) that I thought it would. Now I'm really questioning the jump from GX to LX/LC.
That's the beauty of the LC/LX platform- it's a good size but doesn't really drive or handle like that. Good turning radius, good ride quality (esp. on highway - they're incredible on a long road trip). I think that plus the reliability is why people hang onto them so long and stay loyal to the model. Keep your eyes open and I'm sure you'll find one in/close to your budget. We're pulling for you!
MagnumP45 (09-07-18)
Old 09-07-18, 05:04 PM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the beauty of the LC/LX platform- it's a good size but doesn't really drive or handle like that. Good turning radius, good ride quality (esp. on highway - they're incredible on a long road trip). I think that plus the reliability is why people hang onto them so long and stay loyal to the model. Keep your eyes open and I'm sure you'll find one in/close to your budget. We're pulling for you!
I just came back from a camping trip with my kiddos this past holiday weekend. About 3 hour drive each way.

Not just good, but great ride quality on the highway; very comfy and sturdy for everyone, passengers and the driver alike. In addition to the drive, I took the LX on a few small off beaten trails for biking and tubing, and it handled great. The long drive didn't tire me out, unlike my prior car (Acura TL, which after driving an hour, I would get sick of the bumpy ride and felt stiff afterwards). I did not feel stiff in the LX, and felt great during and after the drive. Maybe it's because I'm getting old...

The LX is our family's trip car, and it's great on and off road. Negatives that come to mind is the poor gas mileage and shallow cup holders up front.
MagnumP45 (09-08-18)
Old 09-08-18, 06:44 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I've owned 2 of each, and I prefer the LX. I have no children or pets to haul around, and am not an "infotainment" person. I do haul horses around, and the LX is a MUCH better trailer towuing vehicle. I prefer the LX tailgate to the GX swinging door.. The GXs seemed more chick cars or soccer mom vehicles., but without the functionality and accessabilityof a decent minivan.

I'm reading between the lines here, but you seem to have realized the soccer mom-ness of the GX yourself, and want support for going the LX route.
MagnumP45 (09-08-18)
Old 09-08-18, 07:32 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I suggest you go to www.IH8MUD.com. Look at the information in the
200 series forum. Get educated on the Platform. The LX hydronic suspension system. These vehicles were designed to last 25 years in a Third World country they’re designed and built for reliability and quality you can’t compare him to any other vehicle range rovers are a piece of crap Cadillacs GMC‘s are the same they are designed to last as long as the warranty lasts. After you do your homework then decide if this is the type of vehicle you want the GX is not in the same category as the LX or the Land Cruiser. After you do your homework you’ll see you’d be better off buying a used one with 40 to 50,000 miles since they last at least 500,000 that some soccer mom drove around because they have more money than they know what to do it. Anyone that talks to you about technology baby seats fit and then cramped in the third row should be buying a Escalade or a Range Rover because they’re really not looking at the engineering and reliability that these vehicles are designed for that’s why the UN uses them in war zones that’s why in Australia you see LX’s and land cruiser out in the bush but you don’t see a Range Rover. The factory where the LX,LC are built in Japan and only build ithe workers have to qualify to work in that factory (great honor) and they are noted for their excellent if you really don’t need to know that you’re driving around the best built most reliable SUV with the most advanced suspension system like the LX in the world it is hydraulic and they just don’t break unlike the air suspension on other SUVs which are a nightmare

Last edited by Max707; 09-08-18 at 07:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Max707:
MagnumP45 (09-08-18), vlad353 (12-24-18)

Quick Reply: GX or LX