LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

GX or LX

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-19, 06:47 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Questtt3
I'm in a position similar to that of the OP both in terms of desired use (daily driver, long road trips, camping/off-road), family size (2 children and dog) and trying to decide between the LX 570 (aprox. 2012-2014) and GX 460 Luxury (aprox. 2015-16). However, whereas the OP said he works from home, I spend much of my time commuting to NYC from the suburbs. I test drove the new 2019 LX 570 and 2019 GX 470 at dealership for comparison and found, to my surprise as some have said, that the GX felt a little more "peppy" and truck-like (in a good way) yet also more nimble than the LX. Both were very nice vehicles but it is true, the LX had extremely comfortable seats and a more "posh" interior.

While both cars are considered by many parking garages in NYC as "oversized" (and thus must pay additional aprox. $10)...I have some concern that it still might be a little more difficult to maneuver and park the LX in some day garages in the City (might some garages refuse it?).

I plan to keep this vehicle "forever" so really want to get this right. I'm 6'4" and was surprised that despite interior dimension specs. both fit comfortably. I admit I do find it a little off-putting to hear the GX described as "the woman's Lexus SUV" or the "soccer mom's Lexus SUV"...even the 2019 GX brochure showed only two pictures with a person...both a woman...outside the vehicle (but one picture of a man's hands on the steering wheel...a little solace there I guess). The LX brochure, however, showed several pictures of a man in the vehicle. Hmmm. I say this mostly joking...but it did give me a moments pause...C'mon..is it really a chick's car? This must after all fulfill my slightly extravagant utilitarian version of the "mid-life red sports car" (no mid-life crisis here). ;o)

Recognizing that both the GX and LX are great vehicles...to all those that liked the LX...would you still choose it if you were going to be doing a fair amount of City (NYC) driving as described above? Apart from the slighly "posher" interior, is the LX a more rugged, durable (long-term), dependable vehicle? I really appreciate your insights...thank you!
As you mentioned, we have similar requirements with the big exception of you driving in NYC daily. First of all, I bought the 15 LX and couldn’t be happier. I actually drove the 2019 GX for a day after driving my LX for a few weeks, and I was so happy to get mine back.

I wouldn’t be concerned about the maneuverability of the LX in city. Yes, it’s slightly larger than GX, but nothing significant. I think the real thing that might be a factor is the MPG. I’m averaging 13-13.5 mpg in mixed suburban/city driving. It bothered me initially, but not anymore. That might be a big deal for you.

i will say if you spend a lot of time on a commute, you will like the seats much better on LX.

my vote would be for LX all the way if you are ok with mpg.

thats my two cents after owning my LX for 6 months. Others here are much more knowledgeable than I.

good luck!
Old 04-23-19, 11:37 PM
nayak1
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Wife & I were shopping for a new ride last year. Test drove new GX & LX.
GX - GX is lighter, good handling but felt so dated inside out. Rear swing door was a deal breaker.
LX - LX was so much better in every way. Build quality is top notch inside out. Ride is superb but felt quite heavy & you can feel it. So we bought an LX last December.

Go with LX, worth every penny!
Old 04-24-19, 07:05 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Default More to chew on...

Check LX570 v. LX470 v. 4Runner v.GX