2018 LX570 Rear passenger feel dizzy

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 08:15 AM
aldouschiu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 LX570 Rear passenger feel dizzy

All,
I purchased my new 2018 LX570 with third row in April 2018. So far everything runs great as expect with only issue is all passengers(my wife, my sons and friends) had sat on rear seats were complaining about they felt dizzy after short run. One time I sat at second row as well, I also felt about the same. My wife sat on third row once time. She told me third row is even worse. Wonder if anybody with LX570 have same issue. Of course I set ride as comfort mode. Let me know other owners have same experience or something they did to resolve same issue!
Old 09-04-18, 09:23 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I've experienced this on my '11 and my new '18. I decided that it has to do with the height that the passengers are at while riding. This increased height causes more side to side movement as the car pitches left and right. I've found that it can be somewhat mitigated by selecting the most stiff ride available.
Old 09-04-18, 09:51 AM
aldouschiu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
I've experienced this on my '11 and my new '18. I decided that it has to do with the height that the passengers are at while riding. This increased height causes more side to side movement as the car pitches left and right. I've found that it can be somewhat mitigated by selecting the most stiff ride available.
Thanks for the response!! To make the ride stiffer, did you change from comfort to sport mode or is there a setting can change stiffness? I cannot find anywhere can change stiffness of the ride. I used to have GX470 can change stiffness but not with my new LX570.
Old 09-04-18, 09:53 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Poor air circulation? Hard to believe height of seat could cause symptom like this unless some folks are prone to motion sickness.
Old 09-04-18, 09:58 AM
aldouschiu
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Htony
Poor air circulation? Hard to believe height of seat could cause symptom like this unless some folks are prone to motion sickness.
That may be true as well. My wife did complain air at the back not good at all. When my wife sat at the third row, she told me their is no air or very little at the rear. I wonder if I miss anything on setting, I just don't read the whole menu after my purchase.
Old 09-04-18, 10:20 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by aldouschiu
That may be true as well. My wife did complain air at the back not good at all. When my wife sat at the third row, she told me their is no air or very little at the rear. I wonder if I miss anything on setting, I just don't read the whole menu after my purchase.
If it is fresh air circulation issue, try to adjust climate control regarding fresh air intake and blower speed. 2nd row must have own control on the console in front center of the seats. I don't think 3rd row has same thing. In the case of one of our SUV, it has 3 types of setting regarding air circulation, focus, diffuse, zone. Are you using the auto mode on climate control? IMO, when vehicle like LX has full of people it generates lot of heat and needs more fresh air to breath.
If they feel dizzy even when car is moving slowly try opening the windows or sun roof to see if it makes a difference.
Old 09-04-18, 10:24 AM
aldouschiu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
If it is fresh air circulation issue, try to adjust climate control regarding fresh air intake and blower speed. 2nd row must have own control on the console in front center of the seats. I don't think 3rd row has same thing. In the case of one of our SUV, it has 3 types of setting regarding air circulation, focus, diffuse, zone. Are you using the auto mode on climate control? IMO, when vehicle like LX has full of people it generates lot of heat and needs more fresh air to breath.
If they feel dizzy even when car is moving slowly try opening the windows or sun roof to see if it makes a difference.
Yes, I am using auto mode on climate control. I will look more into air circulating setting. There is got be be something I don't do it right!
Old 09-04-18, 06:44 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Try airing up the tires to 45-50 psi & when loaded w/ people set the suspension to sport. (Firmer ride) My '13
tetter- totters side to side & gets worse w/ speed as you described. The consensus seems to be the tires. Moving
up in size & a C or LT load rating w/ a stiffer sidewall.
Old 09-05-18, 06:20 AM
aldouschiu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Supra Dr
Try airing up the tires to 45-50 psi & when loaded w/ people set the suspension to sport. (Firmer ride) My '13
tetter- totters side to side & gets worse w/ speed as you described. The consensus seems to be the tires. Moving
up in size & a C or LT load rating w/ a stiffer sidewall.
I will try to air tires up to 40 psi and see if that will help the rear passengers! Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-05-18, 01:17 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by aldouschiu
Thanks for the response!! To make the ride stiffer, did you change from comfort to sport mode or is there a setting can change stiffness? I cannot find anywhere can change stiffness of the ride. I used to have GX470 can change stiffness but not with my new LX570.
Yes, changing from Comfort to Sport or in my '18 Sport +.

Sorry, I don't buy the poor circulation argument given by others. I spent quite a few miles riding in the second row seats. You definitely sit higher, and I am very sensitive to motion sickness. There is most certainly more side to side pitching, rocking, or whatever term you may chose, riding in the second row seats. I've always found that air circulation was adequate, and my 45 year old daughter who works outside all summer finds the air in the back is much too cool even though I find the front comfortable.
Old 09-06-18, 01:36 PM
ndmiller
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the "Rear" button is off, no air to the rear, but an easy fix to hit the button. Without the rear on it can get hot quickly back there.
The following users liked this post:
REDHORSE (09-06-18)
Old 09-08-18, 08:24 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Don’t drink booze in the rear seat
NikS (09-19-18)
Old 09-24-18, 05:17 AM
fosterelli
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a long-term owner of many large SUVs and 3rd-row-equipped SUVs, plus 6 kids, I can say with confidence you can prevent motion sickness for most by following these tips:

Keep air flowing (HVAC and/or windows)
Ensure passengers are not using devices or reading during travel where curves and terrain cause directional shifts
Advise people to face forward and watch the road through the windscreen if they are prone to illness/motion symptoms
Drive in sport modes to remove some "loftiness" handling characteristics of more comfortable suspension settings
Drive like you have a hot coffee with no lid sitting on the dashboard - this will help keep you from inadvertently throwing passengers side-to-side too much
Minimize acceleration / deceleration lunges/surges by accelerating slowly and anticipating slow downs/stops earlier than normal

We have a couple of kids who tend to get ill on trips - the key for us is to reinforce the rules BEFORE they start feeling sick. Once they feel unwell it is much more difficult to get them straight...typically we have to move them to the front passenger seat for a while (the older ones)...the younger kids don't seem to get affected.

I will end by saying the Escalade ESV is the 2nd worst we've had for this. The QX80 was the worst.
mikeivan (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 11:19 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 09 LX570. My wife and kid are VERY sensitive to motion sickness. When I had my Porsche 911 Turbo, they hated riding in it; its jarring ride made them sick. My wife is very picky on ride comfort; my kid as well, and the two are also sensitive to seat comfort and overall cabin ambiance.

Since I got the LX, they have never complained of feeling dizzy, 1st/2nd/3rd row alike. As passengers the LX has been far away the most comfortable vehicle they have ridden in, and also the most comfy vehicle I've ever driven in. Perhaps your tires or suspension is out of alignment?
Old 03-11-19, 06:29 AM
aldouschiu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by docboy
I have a 09 LX570. My wife and kid are VERY sensitive to motion sickness. When I had my Porsche 911 Turbo, they hated riding in it; its jarring ride made them sick. My wife is very picky on ride comfort; my kid as well, and the two are also sensitive to seat comfort and overall cabin ambiance.

Since I got the LX, they have never complained of feeling dizzy, 1st/2nd/3rd row alike. As passengers the LX has been far away the most comfortable vehicle they have ridden in, and also the most comfy vehicle I've ever driven in. Perhaps your tires or suspension is out of alignment?
Sorry for the late reply. I don't think it's the tire or suspension. It's brand new truck unless there is problem out of factory.

Quick Reply: 2018 LX570 Rear passenger feel dizzy