In-cabin filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 06:32 AM
lex97h
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default In-cabin filter

Hi all,

I have a 2017 LX570 and was wondering about the In-cabin filter. I was told by the dealership that there is a cabin air filter and an air conditioner filter. I thought the two are the same are they not? Can someone explain to me the difference if there are any?

Thanks
Old 08-22-18, 08:18 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by lex97h
Hi all,

I have a 2017 LX570 and was wondering about the In-cabin filter. I was told by the dealership that there is a cabin air filter and an air conditioner filter. I thought the two are the same are they not? Can someone explain to me the difference if there are any?

Thanks
I'm not aware of an air conditioner filter...what does your owner's manual show?

Cabin filter is located on the passenger side, at the top rear of the glove box. Simple to replace...remove the junk in the glovebox and pull the center shelf out. Behind that on the left side is the cabin air filter cover.

Note the following:

When you remove the cover, you will see the outside air / inside air cabin air filter curtain. When the curtain is down, the climate control system uses outside air, when up, it uses recirculated inside air.

The curtain must be in the "up" (inside air) position when you change the filter. If it's down, you need to start the truck and select inside air...you'll see the curtain move up. Then, slide the filter out and replace with new.

Replacing the filter by lifting the curtain can cause the linkage to break, and repair involves major disassembly of the instrument panel. I'd suggest reading this Check your HVAC recirculate door....
it's a long read (maybe 10 minutes) but it can save you much misery.

ETA...I did not notice you also posted the question on mud...
Old 08-22-18, 09:36 AM
lex97h
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
I'm not aware of an air conditioner filter...what does your owner's manual show?

Cabin filter is located on the passenger side, at the top rear of the glove box. Simple to replace...remove the junk in the glovebox and pull the center shelf out. Behind that on the left side is the cabin air filter cover.

Note the following:

When you remove the cover, you will see the outside air / inside air cabin air filter curtain. When the curtain is down, the climate control system uses outside air, when up, it uses recirculated inside air.

The curtain must be in the "up" (inside air) position when you change the filter. If it's down, you need to start the truck and select inside air...you'll see the curtain move up. Then, slide the filter out and replace with new.

Replacing the filter by lifting the curtain can cause the linkage to break, and repair involves major disassembly of the instrument panel. I'd suggest reading this Check your HVAC recirculate door....
it's a long read (maybe 10 minutes) but it can save you much misery.

ETA...I did not notice you also posted the question on mud...
Owner manual shows 1 air conditioner filter which led me to believe the in-cabin and air conditioner filter are basically the same (just goes by a different name). However, in the Lexus parts diagram online, it shows an air conditioner filter AND an in-cabin filter. So basically there are 2 filters in the parts diagram. It is very interesting though.

Thanks for the reply.