LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Has anyone Gone From an LS to an LX??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 04:44 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Has anyone Gone From an LS to an LX??

i currently have a 2013 LS 460L with almost every option, but I am getting bored with the car. I have recently test driven two used LX’s , one a 2013 and the other a 2014. Both were certified and had under 50k miles.

i thought for a big, hulking SUV that it drove pretty well as was quieter than I expected. I like the serenity in the LS, so I am concerned that if I do make a move that I might regret it in the long run. Has anyone here had an LS and moved to an LX or own both? If so, what are your thoughts and differences in ride quality and noise levels? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-01-18, 11:34 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I've owned a '11 LS. I currently own a '06 LS and '10 LX (and previously owned a '16 LX).

The '11 LS was quite serene but incredibly boring. The '06 LS is, in my opinion, the best vehicle that Lexus has ever made. The 3UZ engine is second-to-none, as is the overall build quality of the car.

With that said, the '10 LX is the best SUV that I've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few -- GX, BMW X5, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, Audi Q5, Range Rover HSE). The ride quality is superb. The hydraulic suspension is far superior to the air suspension that I had in the Jeep (and no doubt more reliable). The LX soaks up bumps and road imperfections like a champ. The noise levels in the LX are quite low -- lower than any SUV that I've driven. They're not quite as low as the LS; but that's to be expected given that the LX is a 3 ton body-on-frame SUV.

In sum, the LX is amazing. I was just thinking yesterday -- If I had to downsize to one vehicle, which one would I keep? I'd be hard-pressed to part ways with the LX!
Old 07-01-18, 12:34 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
I've owned a '11 LS. I currently own a '06 LS and '10 LX (and previously owned a '16 LX).

The '11 LS was quite serene but incredibly boring. The '06 LS is, in my opinion, the best vehicle that Lexus has ever made. The 3UZ engine is second-to-none, as is the overall build quality of the car.

With that said, the '10 LX is the best SUV that I've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few -- GX, BMW X5, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, Audi Q5, Range Rover HSE). The ride quality is superb. The hydraulic suspension is far superior to the air suspension that I had in the Jeep (and no doubt more reliable). The LX soaks up bumps and road imperfections like a champ. The noise levels in the LX are quite low -- lower than any SUV that I've driven. They're not quite as low as the LS; but that's to be expected given that the LX is a 3 ton body-on-frame SUV.

In sum, the LX is amazing. I was just thinking yesterday -- If I had to downsize to one vehicle, which one would I keep? I'd be hard-pressed to part ways with the LX!
Do you think the LS or LX handles bumps and road imperfections better? I live in central MA and all the roads are bad. The LS struggles on these roads to maintain a decent ride and my LS has the air suspension. The highway there are no issues as it glides down the road effortlessly.
Old 07-01-18, 12:59 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mbarron37

Do you think the LS or LX handles bumps and road imperfections better? I live in central MA and all the roads are bad. The LS struggles on these roads to maintain a decent ride and my LS has the air suspension. The highway there are no issues as it glides down the road effortlessly.
I'd say the LX. The LX's suspension is superb. I'm sure the tires help as well (I have Michelin Latitudes).
Old 07-01-18, 01:55 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I did. But I still keep my '14 LS460 AWD. LS (the previous generation, unfortunately not the new one) is a great car. I love its extremely low noise level and comfortable ride. On the other side, if I need to go 400 miles or further, I would prefer to take my LX.
Old 07-01-18, 05:53 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Having owned both the ls460 is better at absorbing bumps(unless you are driving around in NYC) and noise, its more quiet too. The LX on the other hand is much more practical, can tow stuff/ trips to ikea/home depot. On the other hand the ls460 is very relaxing to drive i dont get the same feeling with lx570. Now if you compare any other suv i would say there is nothing better than the LX.

i currently have a 2013 LS 460L with almost every option, but I am getting bored with the car. I have recently test driven two used LX’s , one a 2013 and the other a 2014. Both were certified and had under 50k miles.

i thought for a big, hulking SUV that it drove pretty well as was quieter than I expected. I like the serenity in the LS, so I am concerned that if I do make a move that I might regret it in the long run. Has anyone here had an LS and moved to an LX or own both? If so, what are your thoughts and differences in ride quality and noise levels? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-01-18, 06:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I really tried to convince myself to get an SUV this time when I replaced the 2015 LS. I drove several LX's, IMHO the LX drives really heavy, and IMHO driving one around all day would get tiresome. Doesn't ride quite as well as the LS (the LX is after all a body on frame truck, and while it rides really well, you feel that at times), isn't quite as quiet, and the interior is not nearly as well finished (you will find hard plastic on the lower dash of the LX, and the lower doors, you won't find hard plastic anywhere in the LS.

The two SUVs I drove that I felt that I wouldn't loose any of the ride and isolation and effortlessness of the LX were the Range Rover, and the Audi Q7 with the air suspension. Volvo XC90 with the air suspension is also very nice. If looking for an SUV replacement for the LS, LX wouldn't be my choice IMHO.

What kind of tires do you have on your LS, and what PSI are they aired to? If the LS Struggles to maintain a good ride on your broken roads, the LX certainly will.
Old 07-01-18, 06:45 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

I have a 2010 LS460L and a 2010 LX570. I think the LS rides better overall but the LX is pretty close. I do some seriously long road trips in both of them (1,200 miles one way) and I find them both to be pretty incredible on those trips and I get out feeling about as good as one can feel after that much time in a vehicle. The LX has a bit more road noise compared to the LS. And I'm not sure I'd want to drive an LX in city driving with a bunch of stop & go - I think it shines more on stretches that include some highway or steady cruising without a lot of stop lights and traffic. Plus, you'll wear out brakes very quickly in an LX in stop & go due to the weight of it.

I wouldn't get rid of either vehicle but you have to understand they are similar in a lot of ways but also a bit different. Having one of each is nice.
Old 07-01-18, 06:47 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I really tried to convince myself to get an SUV this time when I replaced the 2015 LS. I drove several LX's, IMHO the LX drives really heavy, and IMHO driving one around all day would get tiresome. Doesn't ride quite as well as the LS (the LX is after all a body on frame truck, and while it rides really well, you feel that at times), isn't quite as quiet, and the interior is not nearly as well finished (you will find hard plastic on the lower dash of the LX, and the lower doors, you won't find hard plastic anywhere in the LS.

The two SUVs I drove that I felt that I wouldn't loose any of the ride and isolation and effortlessness of the LX were the Range Rover, and the Audi Q7 with the air suspension. Volvo XC90 with the air suspension is also very nice. If looking for an SUV replacement for the LS, LX wouldn't be my choice IMHO.

What kind of tires do you have on your LS, and what PSI are they aired to? If the LS Struggles to maintain a good ride on your broken roads, the LX certainly will.
i have recently put on Pirelli Cinturato P7’s.they are at 34-35 cold. The roads are in very poor shape around here.
Old 07-01-18, 09:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

i have recently put on Pirelli Cinturato P7’s.they are at 34-35 cold. The roads are in very poor shape around here.
I would lower those pressures for sure, that’s over the factory spec. Try running them at 31-32 cold. Makes a big difference.
Old 07-02-18, 03:43 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I would lower those pressures for sure, that’s over the factory spec. Try running them at 31-32 cold. Makes a big difference.
i will lower pressures today and see if it makes any difference. Thanks
Old 07-02-18, 03:47 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

The one thing I don’t like about the LX is the way the 3rd row is configured. I will never use the 3rd row, is there any practical way to remove the seats - this would be permanent. There is too much space lost with the 3rd row unfortunately.

I am doing another test test drive this Thursday or Friday, so we will see how it goes. I will probably end up keeping my LS, but you never know.
The following users liked this post:
Gxkenl (07-04-18)
Old 07-02-18, 06:15 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts
Talking

The one thing I don’t like about the LX is the way the 3rd row is configured. I will never use the 3rd row, is there any practical way to remove the seats - this would be permanent. There is too much space lost with the 3rd row unfortunately.

I am doing another test test drive this Thursday or Friday, so we will see how it goes. I will probably end up keeping my LS, but you never know.
I also dislike the 3rd row jump seats but we occasionally use them so we can't remove ours. There are some DIY tips on this forum for how to remove them but I believe it is quite a bit of effort. You could have the dealer remove them - I'm sure they'd throw that in if you buy it..!
Old 07-02-18, 02:39 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I have a 2010 LS460L and a 2010 LX570. I think the LS rides better overall but the LX is pretty close. I do some seriously long road trips in both of them (1,200 miles one way) and I find them both to be pretty incredible on those trips and I get out feeling about as good as one can feel after that much time in a vehicle. The LX has a bit more road noise compared to the LS. And I'm not sure I'd want to drive an LX in city driving with a bunch of stop & go - I think it shines more on stretches that include some highway or steady cruising without a lot of stop lights and traffic. Plus, you'll wear out brakes very quickly in an LX in stop & go due to the weight of it.

I wouldn't get rid of either vehicle but you have to understand they are similar in a lot of ways but also a bit different. Having one of each is nice.
Very well said.
Old 07-02-18, 10:05 PM
JacketJet
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '10 LX vs. '16 LX

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
Why did you keep the '10 LX and not the '16 LX? I know why you kept the '06 LS - I owned an '08 LS for six months and thankfully did not trade my '99 LS. It now has 225k miles and is as great as the day I bought it new. Searched high and low for an '04-'06 LS but never found one to suit me, so now am looking for a current gen LX. I like the idea of having both an LS and an LX in the fleet!

Quick Reply: Has anyone Gone From an LS to an LX??