LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Has anyone Gone From an LS to an LX??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 04:34 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JacketJet
Why did you keep the '10 LX and not the '16 LX? I know why you kept the '06 LS - I owned an '08 LS for six months and thankfully did not trade my '99 LS. It now has 225k miles and is as great as the day I bought it new. Searched high and low for an '04-'06 LS but never found one to suit me, so now am looking for a current gen LX. I like the idea of having both an LS and an LX in the fleet!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...7-to-10-a.html
Old 07-03-18, 05:46 AM
Chc4au
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 17 LS and a 17LX and the two vehicles are different to compare. My wife drives the LS daily and I drive the LX. On a long trip ( We did a 1000 mi round trip to visit grand kids 12 times in 17/18) I think the LS wins out in quiet and comfort. As a daily driver my wife dislikes the LX whereby I have driven SUV’s for 25 years and like the heighth and heavy feel. I will say that I have had explorers, Yukon’s, sequoias and 3 GX’s and the LX is the best by far.
Old 07-03-18, 05:54 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I will be test driving a coupe towards the end of the week, so will be able to give my take on this. I have driven an LX before, but a test drive is difficult to compare to driving day in and day out.
Old 07-03-18, 11:58 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

The LC/LX is engineered to last 25 years in a 3rd world country per Toyotas chief engineer. It weighs 6000 lbs, body on frame, made for off road expeditions. The current road conditions in a majority of the USA is third world. The LX570 will win the accident event against any automobile. It's a big badass Truck. When I got my 2015 I got rid of the passenger car tire's and put on a set of 285/55/20 BFG ATKO2's. Drive it in comfort mode with the ECT on and it is quick silent and smooth going down the road and I don't worry about road conditions. Or you can drive a LS and when your sitting in that hole in traffic starring at my wheels go for it. I've always gotten around 75k out of the brakes on all of my LC/LX's, brake life is a function of how you drive.
Old 07-03-18, 12:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Or you can drive a LS and when your sitting in that hole in traffic starring at my wheels go for it
All depends on your personal preferences. I like sitting up high, which is one of the reasons why I really tried to talk myself into an SUV this time. A lot of people do, hence why crossover and SUV sales continue to eat into sedan sales.

However, big SUVs are not as gentle to drive, even the very best of them. The LX is as you describe, a serious truck, and as such it feels "trucky" with side to side thrashing over certain bumps that comes with that sort of setup, it also feels really heavy to drive with heavy steering, it floats around a lot and doesn't feel all that planted on the road. As much as I like Lexus, the LX wouldn't be my choice because I don't need or want the capabilities that create those tradeoffs that for me are negative.

Big $100k or so SUV for me easy choice would be a Range Rover. Much easier to drive, more carlike. Even that though is not as relaxing to drive as a flagship luxury sedan. Close.
Old 07-03-18, 01:03 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
All depends on your personal preferences. I like sitting up high, which is one of the reasons why I really tried to talk myself into an SUV this time. A lot of people do, hence why crossover and SUV sales continue to eat into sedan sales.

However, big SUVs are not as gentle to drive, even the very best of them. The LX is as you describe, a serious truck, and as such it feels "trucky" with side to side thrashing over certain bumps that comes with that sort of setup, it also feels really heavy to drive with heavy steering, it floats around a lot and doesn't feel all that planted on the road. As much as I like Lexus, the LX wouldn't be my choice because I don't need or want the capabilities that create those tradeoffs that for me are negative.

Big $100k or so SUV for me easy choice would be a Range Rover. Much easier to drive, more carlike. Even that though is not as relaxing to drive as a flagship luxury sedan. Close.
agree can’t compare sedans with SUVs and then you have real off-road vehicles like LX 570 in Lancaster and then you have the cheap flimsy ones like range rover
Old 07-03-18, 01:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't at all call a Range Rover cheap or flimsy, LOL. They're very well built vehicles. Not as robust as an LX for sure, but I don't need anything like the LX. Its going to be driven in the snow and on gravel worst case...I'd much rather have something less capable and more comfortable.
Old 07-03-18, 02:53 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't at all call a Range Rover cheap or flimsy, LOL. They're very well built vehicles. Not as robust as an LX for sure, but I don't need anything like the LX. Its going to be driven in the snow and on gravel worst case...I'd much rather have something less capable and more comfortable.
not cheap but no problem free like the LX
Old 07-03-18, 03:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Max707
not cheap but no problem free like the LX
Not problem free to be sure.
Old 07-05-18, 01:13 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

I test drove a couple used LX’s today. I can say that Certified may be just a warranty, as both LX’s had multiple scratches on them. Not impressed with the overall condition or cleanliness of either vehicle. I may be a bit picky, as I keep my car spotless. These were located at Lexus of Watertown in MA. First time at this dealership, they seem to move a lot of inventory compared to my local dealer Lexus of Northborough.

I loved the 5.7 compared to my AWD LS, it really has some off the line power (at least compared to my car). The ride was pretty good, as it absorbed bumps in the road fairly well. Definitely not as luxurious as the LS, but I guess that is to be expected. I may continue my search for an LX, but it will have to be in nicer condition than what I saw today. The cargo space was smaller than I expected, especially with the 3rd row folded up.
Old 07-05-18, 03:03 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Definitely "not as robust" is a kind understatement...Check some RR forums about crooked suspension mounts and other goodness from India. I found the RR definitely not as comfortable as a 200 series truck...the 200's weigh around half a ton more than the RR, and continue to use a proven body-on-frame design.

Old 07-05-18, 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hankinid
Definitely "not as robust" is a kind understatement...Check some RR forums about crooked suspension mounts and other goodness from India. I found the RR definitely not as comfortable as a 200 series truck...the 200's weigh around half a ton more than the RR, and continue to use a proven body-on-frame design.
Ive spent lots of time on Range Rover forums as I was very close to buying one. Range Rovers are not made in India, they’re made in the UK, yes they are owned by an Indian company.

The less weight of the RR is a huge plus to me, and you feel it in the vehicle, the LX is heavy and tiresome to drive by comparison IMHO because of that weight. I find the RR far more comfortable than the LX, and like I said before none of the LX’s robustness is of any value to me, and the trade offs that robustness has crosses the LX off the list for me.
Old 07-06-18, 12:04 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went from a 2008 LS 460 to a 2011 LX.

The LS rides better, no question. You can always feel those big heavy axles moving around under the LX; there are a lot of subtle secondary motions over bumps. The LS also handles and brakes better, which is no surprise given that the LX is a three-ton BOF truck.

Both vehicles are equally (whisper) quiet when it comes to road and wind noise. The LX is tuned for a bit more engine noise than the LS, but when that engine is the 3UR that's not a bad thing.

I like the tuning of the 6-speed transmission in my LX a bit better than the early 8-speed in my LS, and the 3UR's fatter torque curve is nice.

I find the LX front seats more comfortable than those in the LS; they're better-shaped for my body. Of course, since the LS is a flagship sedan, the LS's back seat blows away the LX's.

The LS interior was a bit better put together than that of the LX, and I found the design to have more of a high-end flavor. That said the LX interior is still quite good, and having 4-zone climate control (unavailable on SWB LS) is very nice.

The LS's Mark Levinson system blows away the one on the LX, which doesn't have quite enough power for the very large interior space of the LX.

Look under the LX and that is where it starts to shine. Everything is much sturdier than it is under the LS. Suspension, steering, and drivetrain components are as beefy as you'll see on any road vehicle. My ex-Toyota mechanic said that my LX, on purchase at 66k miles, looked like a new car underneath. By contrast, my LS needed the dreaded front control arm surgery at 43k miles and a water pump at 55k.
Old 07-06-18, 12:40 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

My LS with 26k on the clock is in th shop right now to get both front axles replaced! Bad luck......... at least covered by power train warranty.
Old 07-07-18, 02:34 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dal20402
I went from a 2008 LS 460 to a 2011 LX.

The LS rides better, no question. You can always feel those big heavy axles moving around under the LX; there are a lot of subtle secondary motions over bumps. The LS also handles and brakes better, which is no surprise given that the LX is a three-ton BOF truck.

Both vehicles are equally (whisper) quiet when it comes to road and wind noise. The LX is tuned for a bit more engine noise than the LS, but when that engine is the 3UR that's not a bad thing.

I like the tuning of the 6-speed transmission in my LX a bit better than the early 8-speed in my LS, and the 3UR's fatter torque curve is nice.

I find the LX front seats more comfortable than those in the LS; they're better-shaped for my body. Of course, since the LS is a flagship sedan, the LS's back seat blows away the LX's.

The LS interior was a bit better put together than that of the LX, and I found the design to have more of a high-end flavor. That said the LX interior is still quite good, and having 4-zone climate control (unavailable on SWB LS) is very nice.

The LS's Mark Levinson system blows away the one on the LX, which doesn't have quite enough power for the very large interior space of the LX.

Look under the LX and that is where it starts to shine. Everything is much sturdier than it is under the LS. Suspension, steering, and drivetrain components are as beefy as you'll see on any road vehicle. My ex-Toyota mechanic said that my LX, on purchase at 66k miles, looked like a new car underneath. By contrast, my LS needed the dreaded front control arm surgery at 43k miles and a water pump at 55k.
I have differing views on the seats and ML.

As for the seats, I think the LX's seats are more comfortable and more supportive. The seat bottom in my '11 LS was so soft that I had to have it rebuilt by an auto upholstery company.

I have yet to hear a ML system that blows me away (perhaps in the new LS?), but the system in my LX has considerably more bass than the one in the '11LS (although I hear that the '07-'09 LS has a better system).

Quick Reply: Has anyone Gone From an LS to an LX??