'17 to '10.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 12:01 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default '17 to '10.

Greetings!

I bought a '17 LX new. The vehicle was nicely appointed but the steering issues (drifting, see previous posts), rattles (rare for a new Lexus), and L-finesse styling were turn offs. So I traded the LX later that year and ended up most recently in a '15 BMW X5 CPO. The X5 was nice, but it never felt like a real SUV (which it is not). I opted for the I6 for its reliability (the V8s are notorious for burning oil), but the N55 engine is wimpy. I'd thought about buying an older, rattle-free LX with more conservative styling and decided to wait for the right one.

Well, the right LX came along! Last week I bought a '10 from my local Lexus dealership with 123k miles. I talked to the shop foreman (who I've known for awhile) about the miles. He said that's a non-issue as the LX is bulletproof; not to mention that this vehicle has been serviced exclusively at the dealership.

The '10 drives great -- like it's brand new. And there are absolutely no rattles!

Old 06-25-18, 02:36 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
Greetings!

I bought a '17 LX new. The vehicle was nicely appointed but the steering issues (drifting, see previous posts), rattles (rare for a new Lexus), and L-finesse styling were turn offs. So I traded the LX later that year and ended up most recently in a '15 BMW X5 CPO. The X5 was nice, but it never felt like a real SUV (which it is not). I opted for the I6 for its reliability (the V8s are notorious for burning oil), but the N55 engine is wimpy. I'd thought about buying an older, rattle-free LX with more conservative styling and decided to wait for the right one.

Well, the right LX came along! Last week I bought a '10 from my local Lexus dealership with 123k miles. I talked to the shop foreman (who I've known for awhile) about the miles. He said that's a non-issue as the LX is bulletproof; not to mention that this vehicle has been serviced exclusively at the dealership.

The '10 drives great -- like it's brand new. And there are absolutely no rattles!
Nice to see you picked a non-service-department queen.

Also refreshing to see a 200 series not attempting to be a snow plow.
Old 06-26-18, 02:42 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

interesting story. Its sad what the LX has come to. I was underwhelmed driving it several times at dealer. Nothing fancy just bigger than a GX and mushy acceleration handling and power train. My gx is super quiet even at 100 mph on hghway! See what LX does that. Hope u like your old new LX
Old 06-26-18, 10:35 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by T4Fun
interesting story. Its sad what the LX has come to. I was underwhelmed driving it several times at dealer. Nothing fancy just bigger than a GX and mushy acceleration handling and power train. My gx is super quiet even at 100 mph on hghway! See what LX does that. Hope u like your old new LX
Considering the GX rear door opens on the wrong side, are you suffering from left brain / right brain issues?

The GX is just too small for a week or 2 in the boondocks. Careful with those ramps at the mall parking garage.

Enjoy your little truck.

Last edited by hankinid; 06-26-18 at 03:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chocolate (07-01-18)
Old 06-26-18, 12:16 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

be nice!! GX is a good suv, the lx is even better there is no comparison... I actually prefer a 4runner over the GX, end of the day the are both good trucks.
Originally Posted by hankinid
Considering the GX rear door opens on the wrong side are you suffering from left brain / right brain issues?

The GX is just too small for a week or 2 in the boondocks.

Enjoy your little truck.
Old 06-26-18, 12:18 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

congrats on the find, the lx looks really clean and mileage is just a number, how much did you end up paying for it?. I am surprised you liked this better than the refreshed LX.
Old 06-26-18, 03:47 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
congrats on the find, the lx looks really clean and mileage is just a number, how much did you end up paying for it?. I am surprised you liked this better than the refreshed LX.
The advertised price was ~29k. I had a trade but I paid less than that.

The '10 and '17 drive quite differently. Some of it might be the tires (20" Michelins on the '10; 21" Dunlops on the '17). To me the handling on the '17 was quite sloppy. The rattles were unforgivable in a 90k car. The Climate Concierge, etc., didn't mean that much to me. And I'll admit that I have a strong preference for pre-L-finesse Lexus designs.
Old 06-28-18, 07:32 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

good deal and thanks for the info, I love the current gen LX- it was weird adjusting from an 470 but these are just as good.
The advertised price was ~29k. I had a trade but I paid less than that.

The '10 and '17 drive quite differently. Some of it might be the tires (20" Michelins on the '10; 21" Dunlops on the '17). To me the handling on the '17 was quite sloppy. The rattles were unforgivable in a 90k car. The Climate Concierge, etc., didn't mean that much to me. And I'll admit that I have a strong preference for pre-L-finesse Lexus designs.
Old 06-28-18, 07:02 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
Considering the GX rear door opens on the wrong side, are you suffering from left brain / right brain issues?

The GX is just too small for a week or 2 in the boondocks. Careful with those ramps at the mall parking garage.

Enjoy your little truck.
i will. and The LX is SMALL too. Nothing when a Ford 350 jacked up superduty is next to it. A Suburban looked like a rav4! But the RAM TRX is coming so it will tower way above an LX as well.
Yes LX is still an LX. There is always something bigger and better nowadays.
Old 06-29-18, 09:17 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
The LX is more quiet at any speed than a GX. And I've gotten our LX to 100mph, so I'm confused in pretty much every aspect of your post. Including why you come into the LX forum to bash it when you don't own one..?
Old 06-29-18, 09:19 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Greetings!

Congrats! Love our 2010 - we just turned 105k and runs like a champ. Same exterior color as mine but different interior color. Very interesting to read about the issues you had with the 2017- I will have to dig up those posts if/when I consider going newer than our 2010. And thanks for posting the price, helps me have a relative idea of potential current value of our LX. Cheers,
Old 06-30-18, 07:24 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Damn how bad of a beating did you take getting out of that new LX?
Old 06-30-18, 09:49 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Mr. Fun is the biggest troll on this forum by far. Just look at his posts.

I've driven them back to back, including a 10 GX and 17 GX. I actually started looking at GXs but stopped looking for one because the ride was a big downgrade from the ES I was used to.
The GX rides like an oxcart compared to the LX, even when the LX is equipped with 21" wheels.
Constant vibration through the steering wheel on the GX is impossible to ignore. A used LX is a way better buy.
Old 07-02-18, 02:13 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
The LX is more quiet at any speed than a GX. And I've gotten our LX to 100mph, so I'm confused in pretty much every aspect of your post. Including why you come into the LX forum to bash it when you don't own one..?
Could be petty jealousy, or perhaps a lack of $$$.

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Mr. Fun is the biggest troll on this forum by far. Just look at his posts.
Trolling here appears to be a non-issue. He'd have been gone a long time ago if he pulled his stupidity on mud.

Old 08-02-18, 09:46 PM
HedgeFund
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice ride. Glad you found the car you like. I'm in the market for GX460, but came across 2010 LX570 with around 90k miles. Is there anything i should make sure is done/fixed/in good condition before i commit to buying one? Any issues to be aware of?

For example, for a GX460, I figured that water pump should be in good shape, the timing cover leak should be addressed before power train warranty is over, the air pump and valves should be addressed and etc... is there anything particular to LX570 that needs to be addressed?

Quick Reply: '17 to '10.