LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Toyota and Subaru Collaborate on 300 Series Land Cruiser.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-18, 10:07 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Default Toyota and Subaru Collaborate on 300 Series Land Cruiser.

Interesting read about another Subaru / Toyota joint venture...Toyota supplies running gear and Subaru the rest.

Possible 300 Series Subaru/Toyota...2020??
Old 06-17-18, 11:22 AM
Dudley33
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting article, but the author says at the end that is all just imagination, and not real. I hope Toyota is going in a different direction, with a hybrid approach and EV option like Ford is doing with the new Explorer.
Old 06-17-18, 12:01 PM
ndmiller
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudley33
I hope Toyota is going in a different direction, with a hybrid approach and EV option like Ford is doing with the new Explorer.
Not a chance, Quality, Capability and Durability the current mottos of the Land Cruiser would hardly apply in the same way to any Ford product. I drove the new explorer and expedition as rentals and while nice, they are not even close to a LC or the baby LC the Prado/GX. The squeaks and rattles happening in essentially new rentals was mind blowing, couldn't wait to get back into my LX.
Old 06-20-18, 06:02 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

LOL.

v8 old school is gone. TT LX 500 coming....it makes the most logical sense
Old 06-21-18, 08:33 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
LOL.

v8 old school is gone. TT LX 500 coming....it makes the most logical sense
logical? Not if you want durable, dependable. I'm sure they will make the next LC/LX lighter, but it won't be as durable. I have always bought LC/LX for these reasons along with quality and exclusivity. If these attributes change their demand will also disappea.
Old 06-22-18, 04:12 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707

logical? Not if you want durable, dependable. I'm sure they will make the next LC/LX lighter, but it won't be as durable. I have always bought LC/LX for these reasons along with quality and exclusivity. If these attributes change their demand will also disappea.

yeah, why is that?
Old 06-22-18, 03:01 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

To make it lighter, an aluminum frame would be the way to go. Strong, rust proof but yet, still a ladder frame and durable. I would not buy it with a V6 gasoline engine. It must have a V8 (or maybe as an option, have a very capable and powerful diesel engine). (I won'n but the new LS500 with the V6 either. I was in the market for a new luxury sedan but after driving the LS500 I was terribly disappointed). I hope they don't make the same mistake with the new LX. BTW, just saw the brand new Mercedes G-Class 63, AMG. Its beautiful and elegant. I never liked the old G-Class, but the new one is beautiful, has an interior similar to the S63 AMG and a very powerful engine. If Lexus wants to be considered a high-end luxury SUV (Which they are now) I suggest they go in a similar direction as the G-Class and not go cheap as they did with the LS500.
Old 06-22-18, 03:16 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ashron
To make it lighter, an aluminum frame would be the way to go. Strong, rust proof but yet, still a ladder frame and durable. I would not buy it with a V6 gasoline engine. It must have a V8 (or maybe as an option, have a very capable and powerful diesel engine). (I won'n but the new LS500 with the V6 either. I was in the market for a new luxury sedan but after driving the LS500 I was terribly disappointed). I hope they don't make the same mistake with the new LX. BTW, just saw the brand new Mercedes G-Class 63, AMG. Its beautiful and elegant. I never liked the old G-Class, but the new one is beautiful, has an interior similar to the S63 AMG and a very powerful engine. If Lexus wants to be considered a high-end luxury SUV (Which they are now) I suggest they go in a similar direction as the G-Class and not go cheap as they did with the LS500.
With CAFE rules, I doubt we'll see a diesel, though I'd buy one in a minute.

IMO, the G-Wagen is not especially comfortable in town or on the freeway. Check a few utube comparos on the LX or Land Cruiser v. the G-Wagen...the Toyota always comes out as the winner.
Old 06-22-18, 07:48 PM
ndmiller
Rookie

Not a chance for an Aluminum frame, as Aluminum adds more drawbacks than the weight loss benefits give. Aluminum is very sensitive to bending; it work-embrittles very easily and distorts very easily, so any small "push dent" is far more likely to be a permanent irreparable dent than it would be in steel. Once aluminum has been bent once, it's extremely difficult to undo that bend without forming cracks.

Remember it's just a Land Cruiser and the US isn't the target market, so Toyota's doing their thing regardless. Just out of curiosity, why must it have a V8 for you to purchase, just personal preference? I would love similarly powerful turbo 6 with flat torque curve unaffected by elevation which of course weighs less adding performance (acceleration and braking). No cons as far as I can see, of course I'm assuming bulletproof engine regardless, so if thats the fear IMHO it's unwarranted.

I've driven the G-Class old and new and they are not even close to the reliability of the LC200 platform. Maybe more capable and luxurious initially, but after the mile and time wear on, it's in the shop more often than not. And when the warranty runs out you're up the creek....
Old 06-22-18, 08:37 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ndmiller
Just out of curiosity, why must it have a V8 for you to purchase, just personal preference? I would love similarly powerful turbo 6 with flat torque curve unaffected by elevation which of course weighs less adding performance (acceleration and braking). No cons as far as I can see, of course I'm assuming bulletproof engine regardless, so if thats the fear IMHO it's unwarranted.
V8 for me, please. That's one of the reasons I still keep my old LS460 and don't want the new LS500. Just compared the new Lexus LC500 with 5.0 V8 and LS500 with 3.5 V6 biturbo. For me that's a really big difference. V8 sounds much better, it drives better...
Old 06-23-18, 05:04 AM
ndmiller
Rookie

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
V8 for me, please. That's one of the reasons I still keep my old LS460 and don't want the new LS500. Just compared the new Lexus LC500 with 5.0 V8 and LS500 with 3.5 V6 biturbo. For me that's a really big difference. V8 sounds much better, it drives better...
FWIW, The LS's can't seat 7/8 or tow even with the V8. LS's drive very poorly compared to the LX570 which is the flagship of the brand and they certainly aren't as solidly made. One water crossing and the LS is floating away never to be seen again.
Old 06-24-18, 01:12 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah Oprah has a fleet of G wagon in Maui my Mercedes dealership service manager says they’ve basically rebuild every single one of them over the several years not a cheap vehicle to own or dependable I could go for a straight six like was in the FZJ 80s but with a turbo charger straight sixes are very reliable and they’re perfectly balanced engines
Old 06-24-18, 01:46 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Max707
Yeah Oprah has a fleet of G wagon in Maui my Mercedes dealership service manager says they’ve basically rebuild every single one of them over the several years not a cheap vehicle to own or dependable I could go for a straight six like was in the FZJ 80s but with a turbo charger straight sixes are very reliable and they’re perfectly balanced engines
I'd plan on a new turbo around 80-100K.
Old 06-25-18, 09:28 AM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

My suggestion for Lexus to look at the new MBZ G-Wagon was to give them ideas of how beautiful and luxurious the LX could become. Especially on the inside. Obviously, Lexus should keep the new LX' ride as smooth and quiet as the current model. Reliability should be a given with the new LX. As for a V8 vs. the V6 and upgrading the interior, (middle row captain seats, maybe a 500 HP engine, etc) I think is a must since most of us buy it for the Luxury it offers. Range Rover has a turbo V6 and a Turbo V8 with 500+ HP. Maybe Lexus should offer two engines. After all, many of us love the V8 and are not too concerned about gas mileage or fuel costs.
Old 06-25-18, 10:23 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

My suggestion for Lexus to look at the new MBZ G-Wagon was to give them ideas of how beautiful and luxurious the LX could become. Especially on the inside. Obviously, Lexus should keep the new LX' ride as smooth and quiet as the current model. Reliability should be a given with the new LX. As for a V8 vs. the V6 and upgrading the interior, (middle row captain seats, maybe a 500 HP engine, etc) I think is a must since most of us buy it for the Luxury it offers. Range Rover has a turbo V6 and a Turbo V8 with 500+ HP. Maybe Lexus should offer two engines. After all, many of us love the V8 and are not too concerned about gas mileage or fuel costs.
Range Rover may have turbo's, but also some of the worst reliability in the industry.

Last edited by hankinid; 06-25-18 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota and Subaru Collaborate on 300 Series Land Cruiser.