Search this Thread

Old 06-01-18, 06:17 PM
mikec82329
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding between "new" GX 460 and "used" LX 570

Hello Everyone,

I am debating between two options as I look for a new car:

OPTION 1: Brand new 2018 GX460 with premium package.
OPTION 2: Used LX570 (either 2013, 2014, 2015) with less than 30k miles with certified pre-owned.

What are some of your thoughts?

Best,

Mike
Old 06-01-18, 06:26 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by mikec82329
Hello Everyone,

I am debating between two options as I look for a new car:

OPTION 1: Brand new 2018 GX460 with premium package.
OPTION 2: Used LX570 (either 2013, 2014, 2015) with less than 30k miles with certified pre-owned.

What are some of your thoughts?

Best,

Mike
It is apple and orange comparison. Two vehicles are serving entirely different markets and how you primary use the vehicles for. For ride quality, especially with long distance trips, LX will be much better. For city oriented life with occasional out door activities, GX will be a better choice. Both offer very similar and capabilities in terms of off-raading options with the particular model years of LX and GX for what you are looking for. The bottom line is what suits your life style.
Old 06-01-18, 06:34 PM
mikec82329
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify little bit more: how would you compare the two options from reliability standpoint as I’m comparing new GX vs used LX? I know that LX uses land cruiser platform, which has sterling reputation.
Old 06-01-18, 07:35 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by mikec82329
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify little bit more: how would you compare the two options from reliability standpoint as I’m comparing new GX vs used LX? I know that LX uses land cruiser platform, which has sterling reputation.
Both are very reliable vehicles, and both are 100% made in Japan in same factory. Both vehicles are marketed worldwide especially as Toyota Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado (GX) have the best reputations. Both GX and LX have among of highest resale values in Lexus line as well. I had previously owned GX470 for 12 years and over 160K miles with ZERO problems.
Old 06-03-18, 08:29 AM
Airbus24
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2011 Gl450 before trading in for a 2015 LX570. I purchased the Mercedes CPO with about 38,000 miles on it. I had pretty good luck with it up until 75,000 miles, then the bottom fell out. 4 shocks, intake manifold, compressor, interior things just breaking for no reason, then the trade in value for a vehicle with 95,000 miles on it was more than I could take. Traded it September of 2016 and got $16,000 for it after hard negotiations. I don’t know why anyone would buy a second Mercedes. One year alone, my repairs were well over $10,000 and that’s at an Indy shop, not a dealer. I bought my 15 year old daughter a 2008 GX470 with 140,000 miles on it 6 months early just to have a spare car in the garage for all the times the Benz was in the shop. It was easily the worst purchase in my 48 year life I have ever made. Mercedes is a piece of junk, and an expensive one at that. I have had three Tundras, two GX470’s and now an LX570 and I couldn’t be happier. My two previous Tundras went 250,000 miles with zero issues and zero days at a shop. The only reason for trading them is is a wanted the newer model. My 2012 Tundra with 240,000 miles traded in for $19,000.
The following users liked this post:
LVPUNK (12-30-21)
Old 06-03-18, 08:32 AM
Airbus24
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, just realized this is posted on the wrong topic.
Old 06-07-18, 05:16 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GX premium is very basic compared to an LX. LX is much more vehicle. Stronger, bigger, more features and similar gas mileage. I went from a 2016 Luxury GX to a 2015 LX and never looked back. I tow and do mild off road and the air suspension is great for both. The GX had rear air suspension only and that’s just not enough for what I do. The air suspension is a game changer for body role though so would always opt for the Luxury GX, if considering the GX line. Both are dinosaurs and the LX feels a bit more out of date with the ashtrays. 2016+ would be awesome but takes 20k more. I worry about resale if gas goes to $5 but other than that my cost of ownership should be super low on the 2015. Just make sure the LX is clean, dealer maintained, and not from a rust state and it is a no brainer. Insurance is higher on the LX.
Old 06-07-18, 08:01 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnJerk
The GX premium is very basic compared to an LX. LX is much more vehicle. Stronger, bigger, more features and similar gas mileage. I went from a 2016 Luxury GX to a 2015 LX and never looked back. I tow and do mild off road and the air suspension is great for both. The GX had rear air suspension only and that’s just not enough for what I do. The air suspension is a game changer for body role though so would always opt for the Luxury GX, if considering the GX line. Both are dinosaurs and the LX feels a bit more out of date with the ashtrays. 2016+ would be awesome but takes 20k more. I worry about resale if gas goes to $5 but other than that my cost of ownership should be super low on the 2015. Just make sure the LX is clean, dealer maintained, and not from a rust state and it is a no brainer. Insurance is higher on the LX.
Just a quick correction. LX uses hydraulic suspension, not air. Also, on GX, the luxury option give you AVS which is the electronically controlled suspension for damping rate and forces with rear AIR BAGS for height control as well as self leveling. It is NOT the air suspension.
Old 06-08-18, 05:11 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

I have a 2010 LX that we've owned for 3 years (bought CPO) and we moved from a 2005 GX. The LX rides much better on the highway and I really appreciate the added width in the interior space. The driver and passenger feel more separated compared to the GX. One of my buddies just got a 2016 (or maybe '17) GX and I have to say I thought it was pretty nice inside - but it feels a bit skinny still (not as bad as our 2005 model for sure). He jumped in my LX the other day and had some positive comments on the difference in quality and my LX is 7 years older than his GX. Reliability should not be a concern on either vehicle. One thing I continue to dislike about the GX is the way the rear door opens. Conversely, I continue to dislike the jump seats taking up so much space in the LX and being a relatively substantial PITA to remove.

One semi-strange thing I love about having an LX is you rarely see anyone else driving them. I don't know why that appeals to me, but I like driving something that doesn't feel like a dime-a-dozen on the road.
Old 06-08-18, 09:34 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Drive them both, pick the one you like. I choose the LX
Old 02-11-19, 05:47 PM
2012GX460
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Our cars are paid for and have low miles, so we're keeping them for a long time.
When we're back in the market, it will be for the newest "bestest" land cruiser we can find.
Our 2012 GX is ok, but the rear door still aggravates me....
The reliability and off-road capibliities are great on the GX/LX/LC.....
We'll be taking ours to Palo Duro Canyon next month!
Old 02-12-19, 06:55 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd do the LX every time - not that I'm partial but the GX is plain old; it hasn't been updated in soooooo long and you could buy a 4-5 year old GX with the same interior.
So I'd do a LX specificaly because of the ride quality and, honestly, there are far less LX/LC's than there are GX's on the road.

If you do a GX, consider a pre-owned one and save some $$$? =)
Old 02-12-19, 11:13 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I have owned both a GX and LX. In the excellent point someone made in a previous post, the choice should really be basd on your intended use.

In my case, my wife picked out and bought the GX for me as a gift, and I later chose and bought the LX by myself. Since I tow and haul farm stuff and horses, the GX was just too underpowered. And for the cargo I carry for the farm, I found the LX hatch and tailgate to be much better than the GX side-opening rear door. Plus the GX door impeded access to the receiver hitch while hooking up and unhooking my trailers. With the LX I can, and have, loaded 16 foot fence boards for the 8 mile drive home from Lowes. One end rests on the dash, and the other rests on the closed tailgate with the hatch part open so the last 6 feet can hang out. And yes, that annoying beep when driving with the hatch open is very easily disabled. This is an example of choosing the correct vehicle for your planned uses for it.

And, at the risk of being labeled as a sexist, the GX is a girl car, while the LX is a guy car.
Old 02-12-19, 04:26 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

GX is very good buy, if you get the GX get the luxury one with driver support package; i feel its easier to drive around town; parking etc. I dont think its under powered; The Lx is more quieter and smoother pulls harder; i guess more comfortable too since its bigger. I have both but if i had to pick one i would pick the LX.
I never liked the GX; we either had RX or LX; but last year i drove one and almost reminded of the my older Lx470 and i bought one.
Old 02-13-19, 04:52 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Easy choice, LX.

Quick Reply: Deciding between "new" GX 460 and "used" LX 570