LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

As gas prices rise, will you deviate from Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 05:44 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

I think that for some of us, it has absolutely nothing to do with money. We just would like to know the truth.
The following users liked this post:
Rki2019 (01-07-20)
Old 06-29-18, 03:19 AM
ndmiller
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why isn't the manual and filler door the truth?
Old 06-29-18, 10:38 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a look at the compression ratio of the3UR-FE 5.7 litre V8 motor and it is 10.2.

In my personal experience with other V8 gasoline engines, I found that I needed to use premium to avoid pinging for compression ratios above 9.5

Based on this rough guide, and knowing that the LX570 has a conventional motor with a 10.2 compression ratio, I would definitely not skimp on fuel costs, as it may be detrimental to the longevity of the motor. I am not comfortable relying on the ECU to keep retarding the ignition advance to avoid pinging.
Old 06-30-18, 07:30 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

The LC requires 87 I think it’s really requiring 91 but Toyota is trying to keep operating costs down.
Old 06-30-18, 02:07 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max707
The LC requires 87 I think it’s really requiring 91 but Toyota is trying to keep operating costs down.
Most modern engines have compression ratio above 10 and they work fine on regular. And I don't know about any significant problems with Tundra/Sequoia/Land Cruiser engines.
Old 07-02-18, 03:40 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For that little money. Why would one want to risk messing up their nice LX? Sounds like a poor idea to use regular when the manual and fuel doors sates premium.
I have not seen a single example of regular gasoline "messing up", as you put it, an LX. I've been with mud since 2009 and here since June of 2015. It doesn't seem to me to be "a poor idea".

Have you seen any posts to "messing up" an LX on either forum? Plenty of threads in the 200 series forum on Mud re: octane...I'd suggest educating yourself.

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I think that for some of us, it has absolutely nothing to do with money. We just would like to know the truth.
Same here...the truth to me is the HP difference shows with premium gas in the LX and regular in the Land Cruiser, Sequoia, and Tundra.

Originally Posted by Max707
Toyota is also obviously concerned with low octane gas in the 200 series international market...the north American market pales in comparison.

Most modern engines have compression ratio above 10 and they work fine on regular. And I don't know about any significant problems with Tundra/Sequoia/Land Cruiser engines.
Clayton W nailed it.

^Thread. I pray.
Craigyyy (09-24-18)
Old 07-05-18, 03:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
".

Have you seen any posts to "messing up" an LX on either forum? Plenty of threads in the 200 series forum on Mud re: octane...I'd suggest educating yourself.
You are bit too sensitive. Educating oneself would be to follow what the manual states. But it is all good, we all have our own opinions.
REDHORSE (07-06-18)
Old 07-05-18, 03:32 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are bit too sensitive. Educating oneself would be to follow what the manual states. But it is all good, we all have our own opinions.
The manual also alludes to "lifetime transmission fluid"...not sure how that works on a truck with a 250K mile design life. In some cases, common sense may indeed over ride the manual. BTW, what year is your LX?

And I do know what "they" say about opinions.

The question was are you or anyone aware of an engine failure that can be attributed to using regular fuel?
ClaytonW (07-05-18)
Old 07-05-18, 03:45 PM
ndmiller
Rookie

The manual also alludes to "lifetime transmission fluid"...not sure how that works on a truck with a 250K mile design life. In some cases, common sense may indeed over ride the manual. BTW, what year is your LX?

And I do know what "they" say about opinions.

The question was are you or anyone aware of an engine failure that can be attributed to using regular fuel?
Yes, but why would that matter if you're already discounting the manual written and delivered by the company that built the vehicle. Lexus and their manual are 100% correct for anyone that wants to abide by it. If you don't so be it, but don't pretend to be an expert on a vehicle you neither designed or manufactured to mislead others into ignoring the manual under a nonsense statement of "common sense". Ignoring the manual delivered with a vehicle approaching $100,000 is not common sense.
REDHORSE (07-06-18)
Old 07-05-18, 09:53 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

I am not quite sure if for a vehicle approaching $100,000 is abiding the manual the best idea. Hankinid is right. But if you believe in "lifetime transmission fluid"... The problem is that the manual is not only written by technicians but also by the marketing department. Common sense sometimes work better.
Old 07-05-18, 11:59 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ndmiller
Yes, but why would that matter if you're already discounting the manual written and delivered by the company that built the vehicle. Lexus and their manual are 100% correct for anyone that wants to abide by it. If you don't so be it, but don't pretend to be an expert on a vehicle you neither designed or manufactured to mislead others into ignoring the manual under a nonsense statement of "common sense". Ignoring the manual delivered with a vehicle approaching $100,000 is not common sense.
From the standpoint of maintenance, I do better than the manual. We've discussed the octane difference and how it affects horsepower. We've also noted no mention of engine failures due to lower-than-manual octane.

I am not pretending to be an "expert"...if I need one, I know where to find a few. I also spent some money on a set of shop manuals and TIS...that not only tells me what to do and when, but it also lets me know if it's over my head. E.g., no mention by Toyota about changing the fuel filter. Are you saying that the same filter will last through the design life Toyota states? I neither designed nor built the first batch of 8 speed transmissions, but more were replaced early on due to solenoid failures at no cost to the owners. No car maker is perfect. I'd say that's common sense.

I am not quite sure if for a vehicle approaching $100,000 is abiding the manual the best idea. Hankinid is right. But if you believe in "lifetime transmission fluid"... The problem is that the manual is not only written by technicians but also by the marketing department. Common sense sometimes work better.
Thanks, @ClatonW. This thread is beginning to resemble trying to separate ground pepper from fly scat.
Old 07-11-18, 07:08 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

If you guys really think that you cant run 87 in a 570, I've got a bridge to sell you

Literally the same motor at the tundra/LC. Now, throw the Magnuson S/C on, then you have to run 91.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregCanada:
Craigyyy (09-24-18), hankinid (07-11-18)
Old 07-11-18, 11:00 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Completely agree. Still waiting as well.
Old 07-11-18, 01:37 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GregCanada
If you guys really think that you cant run 87 in a 570, I've got a bridge to sell you

Literally the same motor at the tundra/LC. Now, throw the Magnuson S/C on, then you have to run 91.
Not "literally the same motor", as the 200 series are produced entirely in Japan with 100% Japanese parts content...Tundra and Sequoia are built in the U.S.
Old 07-11-18, 03:02 PM
ndmiller
Rookie

I withdraw my comments

Last edited by ndmiller; 07-11-18 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Exhausted

Quick Reply: As gas prices rise, will you deviate from Premium?