LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Convince Me: 13-14 LX570 or GL550

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-18, 09:37 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Convince Me: 13-14 LX570 or GL550

Hi all, I need input and opinions. I'm looking to purchase either a 2013/14 Lexus LX570 or Mercedes GL550. Need the extra space with a family of 4 (2 babies in car seats 3 and 1). I've done all the research on SUV's and I am only interested in the LX and GL (no minivan, Escalade, Sequoia etc.) No towing or off-roading but occasional long distance drives and carrying other passengers.

My main wants are dependability, safety, comfort and power. I would like to pick up one of these trucks for under $45,000 so mileage will probably at least be 50k.

I've been a member on here for years as I used to own a 2002 GS430. Since then I've owned Audi and BMW and currently have a Mercedes ML350.

I appreciate any input you all might have.

Thanks
Old 05-18-18, 10:05 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They're different trucks with different strengths. When I bought my LX the GL was also the only other full-size SUV I seriously considered.

If dependability is very important to you, that is a major strength of the LX. These are some of the most durable and reliable trucks on the road. The GL has a fair to mediocre reliability record depending on year and powertrain. For me that might be the end of the story. But...

Other strengths of the LX relative to the GL:
- First- and second-row space
- Audio system (many more LXes are equipped with Mark Levinson than GLs with B&O, which is quite rare)
- Front-seat comfort IMO (this is subjective)
- Off-road capability (you may find yourself occasionally visiting places off the beaten path if you have a vehicle that can do so)
- Split folding third row seat
- Exclusivity (many more GLs on the road than LXes)

Strengths of the GL relative to the LX:
- On-road ride and handling
- Acceleration, if you get the GL550 (not that the LX is slow, but it's more comparable to the old V8 GL450)
- Cargo area space with the full-folding third row seat
- Third-row seat comfort (much lower floor on the GL)
- Third-row top tethers if you want to mount child seats in the third row
Old 05-18-18, 01:38 PM
brywhite
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a GL before buying my LX. In my experience, the reliability of the GL is okay (I never had any problems) however the problem to look out for is a leak in the air suspension. When this problem occurs, it will cause the vehicle body to drop onto its tires making the GL unusable - unfortunately, this is a common problem. I was told the cost to fix this is $5,000 per strut ($5,000 x 4 = ouch!).

The GL is an awesome on-road vehicle in both dry and wet conditions - handles extremely well and much, much better than an LX.
LX ride comfort is superior but the on road handling may be awkward for people used to driving a car (or a GL).
GL can hold more stuff. GL 2nd row seats fold in a logical way. When folding GL 2nd row seats, Front row moves automatically to accommodate. LX 2nd row seats are idiotic by comparison.
GL off road capability is laughable.

If you get a GL, the newer the better & get a warranty in-case the struts start leaking.
Old 05-18-18, 08:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for you to own the GL with 50k miles, meaning no more warranty, i would definitely make sure you have some kind of aftermarket warranty. that thing won't be cheap to fix and something is going to fail.

if you were to get new then personally i would have told you to go with GL. we had that dilemma in 2016, got the GL550 and couldn't be happier. it's one heck of a car. but in your case i might choose LX unless you need the cargo space or more spacious 3rd row. the GL550 is significantly faster, no comparison there. GL also has 3rd row split fold and it's better coz' it fold flat.
Old 05-19-18, 04:29 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

You said it yourself:

"My main wants are dependability, safety, comfort and power. I would like to pick up one of these trucks for under $45,000 so mileage will probably at least be 50k."

Both the LX and GL are nice vehicles.

BUT the KEY difference is "DEPENDABILITY". ESPECIALLY if the GL is at 50K+ miles on the odo........be prepared to be left stranded (if you are in the middle of nowhere) and waiting for a tow truck. Plus most likely at 50K+ miles you are out of warranty, so it will be time for you to break out the credit cards. And call ENTERPRISE car rental so they can deliver a rental car to you!!

Just get an LX and don't even get bothered with any of the above.

Originally Posted by milellie11
Hi all, I need input and opinions. I'm looking to purchase either a 2013/14 Lexus LX570 or Mercedes GL550. Need the extra space with a family of 4 (2 babies in car seats 3 and 1). I've done all the research on SUV's and I am only interested in the LX and GL (no minivan, Escalade, Sequoia etc.) No towing or off-roading but occasional long distance drives and carrying other passengers.

My main wants are dependability, safety, comfort and power. I would like to pick up one of these trucks for under $45,000 so mileage will probably at least be 50k.

I've been a member on here for years as I used to own a 2002 GS430. Since then I've owned Audi and BMW and currently have a Mercedes ML350.

I appreciate any input you all might have.

Thanks
Old 05-19-18, 07:57 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want the GL, I would buy or lease the GL new because it comes with a warranty. Afterwards trade it in or lease another German make.

If you want a LX, I would feel confident buying it used.
The following users liked this post:
Wandl (05-21-18)
Old 05-19-18, 11:09 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Thank you all for the input and advice. It seems that the benefits of the GL do not out weigh the main benefit of the LX which is dependability. My time is much more valuable now with 2 small kids and I definitely do not feel like playing the loaner/in the shop every other month game.
Old 05-20-18, 03:46 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Resale is very good on the LX. Based on Autotrader values, I have put 25,000 miles on and seen ~10,000 depreciation over 2 years.

These vehicles both sold new for around 90,000 dollars in 2013.

You can't find many LXs under $43K with under 75,000 miles on Autotrader, the lowest price in the country is 41.5.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Lexus/LX+570/Washington+DC-20001?zip=20001&startYear=2013&maxMileage=75000&numRecords=25&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=LX570&makeCodeList=LEXUS&searchRadius=0

Plenty of GL 550s under 75K miles in the $36K range.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Mercedes-Benz/GL+550/Washington+DC-20001?zip=20001&startYear=2013&maxMileage=75000&numRecords=25&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=GL550&makeCodeList=MB&searchRadius=0

Last edited by Chocolate; 05-20-18 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-20-18, 07:40 AM
vkj200
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After we sold back our Q7 TDI we had GL either diesel or 550 as #1 option.
I had better luck with Audi's than Mercedes in terms of reliability. My brother has a 2017 G550 with about 25K miles on it, it has already been in the shop 3 times. Right now it is week 2 it has been in the shop for various problems. I would be pissed if I spent $120K on a new car and have to drive an E-class 4 banger as loaner most of the time. I think he is about to sell it and get an LX or the new Escalade.

With 3 kids my #1 priority was safety which the LC/LX is much better at. I would personally pass on the GL just based on reliability and expense of ownership, the second major reason is the customer service at German dealership is an absolute disaster. I was quoted $2,600 for brakes and pads service on my Q7, ended up buying OEM parts from a Florida dealer and with shipping, it was still cheaper (about $300) than Dallas dealers. Did the work myself, took about 2hrs to do all 4.

I'm done with German cars, my wife and I are debating to either get an XC90 or the Model X as the next car.
I'm also one of a few owners that take their LX offroad, it is a great vehicle for that.

The only thing I hate about my LX is the front cup holders. It doesn't hold ****, they are so short that any turn will cause your beverage to fall on its side.

Originally Posted by dal20402
They're different trucks with different strengths. When I bought my LX the GL was also the only other full-size SUV I seriously considered.

If dependability is very important to you, that is a major strength of the LX. These are some of the most durable and reliable trucks on the road. The GL has a fair to mediocre reliability record depending on year and powertrain. For me that might be the end of the story. But...

Other strengths of the LX relative to the GL:
- First- and second-row space
- Audio system (many more LXes are equipped with Mark Levinson than GLs with B&O, which is quite rare)
- Front-seat comfort IMO (this is subjective)
- Off-road capability (you may find yourself occasionally visiting places off the beaten path if you have a vehicle that can do so)all out.
- Split folding third row seat
- Exclusivity (many more GLs on the road than LXes)

Strengths of the GL relative to the LX:
- On-road ride and handling
- Acceleration, if you get the GL550 (not that the LX is slow, but it's more comparable to the old V8 GL450)
- Cargo area space with the full-folding third row seat
- Third-row seat comfort (much lower floor on the GL)
- Third-row top tethers if you want to mount child seats in the third row
Old 05-20-18, 09:09 AM
pkim1078
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Stick with the lx for reliability.

I had a GL before, worst car ever. I spent over $14k just getting it repaired. One day the transmission completely went out and we were stuck in the middle of the road. A cop saw us and pushed the car to the side and we had to get it towed afterwards. Had to replace all suspension. I asked our mechanic and asked him if there is anything good. He said the only thing that will last is the engine. Everything else will break and need to get replaced. He was quite frank. I saw him once a month. He knew us really well. He gave us some many freebies in terms of repair work since we would see him. Zero recommendation on the gl. I could not put my families safety with the car.

So far, zero problems on our lx.
Old 05-20-18, 10:10 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Have a good friend with the Merc. Just last weekend she told me she was trading it in because it was in the shop all the time and she was tired of paying $2,000 a trip and waiting a week to get her car back.
Old 05-21-18, 04:35 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Hope you also asked the same in a MB forum, but my wife chose the LX over a GL specifically. We could have gotten a pretty awesome deal leasing a GL, ended up purchasing a 16 LX as her "forever" car even though the GL was more comfortable in the 3rd row seat, had better safety tech (driver aids) and a more behaved on-road behavior for urban driving.

The LX was far more exclusive (i.e. rarer), has the dependabilty + long-term resale value that the GL doesn't have.

Edmunds rates the GL as the class leader in luxury full-size SUV's, and I'm not doubting the GL....but the reasons I bought the LX is similar to yours in looking for a dependable comfortable ride.
Old 05-27-18, 03:45 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

If what you said is REALLY TRUE, then no need for all the crash testings these insurance and other agencies do these days. We CAN NOT controll weather, the way the roads are built, how others drive, various distractions, mechanical failures, and etc. That's why these are "accidents". THERE IS ONE VARIABLE WE CAN CONTROL. We can CONTROL which vehicle we are in by making an educated, informed and intelligent decision. Yes, one specific car/make/model is SAFER versus another car/make/model and this has already been tested in crash labs under "controlled conditions". Granted in real life situations, it will not be in a "controlled condition", but odds are in your favor if you are in a "safer car" according to crash test results.

If you don't think "crash worthiness" is important, then I ask you the following question:. Would you or ALLOW your loved ones to drive or ride in a car such as the ones in the videos below (where the ENTIRE CAR IS THE CRUMPLE ZONE WITH YOU IN IT AS PART OF THE CRUMPLED ZONE?)?

So in the above video, which car would you like to be in if there is an accident (if you are traveling and these two cars rolled up to your hotel to pick you up for the same price/fare)? The BMW or the "Brilliance from China?

So in conclusion, which car one is in will determine the extent of possible injuries, if any. Personally I would want to be in the "best/safest" vehicle that I can. The old adage: "Size/weight matters" in the event of a crash accident. Nowadays, the type of materials the car's structure is made is of paramount importance. The old Boron steel still is favorable. Although there are other high strength and lighter weight materials in development.

I know the Chinese car makers are striving to make better and safer cars, but the gap still exists. The gap is closing though.

HOW about this brand new 2018 Toyota Camry got rear ended by a semi truck? ALL 4 DOORS ARE STILL INTACT AND OPERATIONAL!! The passenger safety cage was still 100% INTACT. THIS IS ADVANCED ENGINEERING!!!

http://www.thedrive.com/news/20852/t...y-a-semi-truck

Originally Posted by kitabel
w/r/t "safety": the exact circumstances of the accident (speed, weather, distance, visibility, road surface, other car, other driver) vary far more than any difference between 2 cars. Buying a car to anticipate a specific accident ("this one is better on roll-overs") dpesn't work.

Last edited by lexusrus; 05-27-18 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-30-18, 07:23 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies. I also posted this topic on Mbworld forums. https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post7466533

Of course you can imagine which way the posts leaned. 2 great vehicles both with pluses and minuses. At first i was leaning one way, now im second guessing. I’m nore confused than ever now! Perhaps, whichever i setttle on won’t be a terrible choice?!
Old 05-30-18, 08:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am being very honest, if you are getting a 4-5 yr old car, i would lean towards the LX. i am not saying all GL are bad, truth is i am considering a used one too when our lease is up, but i think of MB is a bit of a hit and miss.

if you were getting new then it is a very different story. i am leasing the GL550 for less money than the LX570 and it's a lot more fun

Quick Reply: Convince Me: 13-14 LX570 or GL550