LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 09:05 AM
king1828
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Battery

hello all lexus users, i bought my lexus lx570 in january 28 2017,its a 2017 model and i just installed an andriod box to my lexus, i don't know exactly what happened, i just can't star the ignition so i tried to jump start it and it work, but i don't know if my car battery has a problem or not, can anybody help me with this issue because i just bought it last january
Old 04-18-18, 01:32 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

If still under warranty, then go to the Lexus dealership.

If NOT under warranty (unusual OK under warranty for a 2017 unless you had already exceeded the mileage), then either AAA can come to you and do a diagnosis (free as part of your AAA membership) and install/swap out with a brand new battery (for a fee usually reasonable as I had done this before). Or just go to an auto part store like, Autozone, O'Reilly, Discount Auto, and etc. and they can do a diagnosis and sell you a brand new battery (some may not want to or able to install it due to a fear of "messing up your NICE RIDE"). Also depending on how busy they are, you may have to wait for a long time no time. I like AAA better bc after I call them, I can be at home/office or wherever (unless I'm stranded) and continue to do whatever I was doing until they show up (they will text or call like 15 minutes prior to arrival).

It may be your new Android box STILL drawing current from the battery even after you shut off the LX??? If this were found to be the case, then the Lexus warranty MAY NOT cover the be battery even under warranty???

Originally Posted by king1828
hello all lexus users, i bought my lexus lx570 in january 28 2017,its a 2017 model and i just installed an andriod box to my lexus, i don't know exactly what happened, i just can't star the ignition so i tried to jump start it and it work, but i don't know if my car battery has a problem or not, can anybody help me with this issue because i just bought it last january

Last edited by lexusrus; 04-18-18 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-20-18, 07:35 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Lexus batteries are crap. I have had 4 in my 2011 LX. Either go to Lexus for a replacement and expect it to fail in 18months OR pull it out and put in a decent battery like an Odyssey. (no Optima's, they are crap now).

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 04-20-18 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-20-18, 08:47 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Lexus batteries are crap. I have had 4 in my 2011 LX. Either go to Lexus for a replacement and expect it to fail in 18months OR pull it out and put in a decent battery like an Odyssey. (no Optima's, they are crap now).

https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Batte...ds=34R-PC1500T
Not to sided with Lexus, but if your battery needed replacement every 18 months, I would check the car if there is something else going on. I have owned Lexus since 1993 and had number of different models, the OEM battery had last far beyond warranty expired. I am also living in pretty harsh winder environment. I am sure there are better batteries on the market, but at same token, with any premier brand auto maker, certainly won't use something that could potentially damage their reputation. Just my 2 cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
Max707 (04-23-18), REDHORSE (04-20-18)
Old 04-20-18, 09:19 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hzhao
Not to sided with Lexus, but if your battery needed replacement every 18 months, I would check the car if there is something else going on. I have owned Lexus since 1993 and had number of different models, the OEM battery had last far beyond warranty expired. I am also living in pretty harsh winder environment. I am sure there are better batteries on the market, but at same token, with any premier brand auto maker, certainly won't use something that could potentially damage their reputation. Just my 2 cents.
I hear you but I also have had the same battery failure issues in my 2008 ISF, fewer miles on that car but put 3 Lexus batteries in it in 7 years... Junk in my opinion and personal experience, n of 2. I find batteries also tend to have a harder time in warmer climates than cold. Each failure was for a single bad cell, tests fine in voltage testing, fails under load testing. No aftermarket stereo or electronics in either car.
Old 04-20-18, 04:35 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Batteries-34R-PC1500T-Automotive-Battery/dp/B008FY5UF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524235070&sr=8-1&keywords=34R-PC1500T
My experience indicates Toyota / Lexus batteries are not crap. I bought our 100 when it was 8 years old and had ~90K. OEM battery was replaced in 2015...not too bad imo. The Toyota battery in our 200 has no issues after 5 years and almost 90K.

I have more than a dozen Optima's, including blue, yellow, and red tops. Most are use for starting medium to large diesels. The youngest is 5+ years old, the oldest around 10 years. No issues.

Why do you write "they are crap now"?

Originally Posted by hzhao
If you're dropping cheap China Mart batteries into the truck, 18 months might be reasonable. If you're spending the $$$ for a battery with reliability in the same class as your LX, I'd definitely check for anything running with the engine off that shouldn't be, aka "parasitic current flow". I'd also ask OP if his batteries are sealed, and if not sealed, does he check the electrolyte level?

Off topic a bit, both the 100 and 200, as well as the farm diesels, are plugged into battery tenders in the winter.

Last edited by hankinid; 04-23-18 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-21-18, 04:51 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My indy was the authorized maintenance shop for Lexus before we got a dealership in north Louisiana. He has a different take on this. He said it wasn't the batteries, but that Lexus vehicles in general were very hard on their batteries.
Old 04-21-18, 10:00 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
My indy was the authorized maintenance shop for Lexus before we got a dealership in north Louisiana. He has a different take on this. He said it wasn't the batteries, but that Lexus vehicles in general were very hard on their batteries.
I think that might be the obvious result of dumping more electronics into the truck every year. You can troubleshoot a 40 series with a test light and dvm...not nearly as simple as new trucks. For many electrical issues, without TIS / Techstream you are dead in the water.

I have the Electrical Wiring Diagram books for both of our trucks...the 100 series book is around 1/2 inch thick, the 200 book is almost 3X that.
Old 04-21-18, 08:08 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hankinid
I have more than a dozen Odysseys, including blue, yellow, and red tops. Most are use for starting medium to large diesels. The youngest is 5+ years old, the oldest around 10 years. No issues.
You just described “Optima” battery types, not Odyssey.
Old 04-22-18, 02:24 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Red face

You just described “Optima” battery types, not Odyssey.
It was indeed a dumb post. No excuse for being temporarily unconscious while posting.
Old 04-23-18, 05:37 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hankinid
It was indeed a dumb post. No excuse for being temporarily unconscious while posting.
I have days like that more often than I care to admit!
;-)
Old 04-23-18, 11:58 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No problems with the OEM Lexus battery in the LX yet, knock on wood, but I found my previous LS460 to be very hard on batteries in my usage. I often let the car sit for 1-2 weeks between drives, since I don't commute to work by car. The LS killed an OEM Lexus battery that was installed shortly before I bought it and then quickly ate through an Interstate replacement. Finally I got another OEM Lexus battery and put the car on a battery tender when parked for extended periods, and that battery was still in good shape when I sold the car.
Old 04-23-18, 07:29 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dal20402
No problems with the OEM Lexus battery in the LX yet, knock on wood, but I found my previous LS460 to be very hard on batteries in my usage. I often let the car sit for 1-2 weeks between drives, since I don't commute to work by car. The LS killed an OEM Lexus battery that was installed shortly before I bought it and then quickly ate through an Interstate replacement. Finally I got another OEM Lexus battery and put the car on a battery tender when parked for extended periods, and that battery was still in good shape when I sold the car.
I would use a battery tender if the battery was accessible but it is under the damn plastic covers and I don't have the energy to run the needed wires.
Old 04-23-18, 09:37 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Lexus OEM Panisonic batteries are top rated batteries. Mine have lasted over 10+ years. I do drive my Toyotas and Lexus vehicles everyday. Don't have any after market crap attached plus I add distilled water every year to maintain them.
Old 04-24-18, 07:01 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

We have owned 5 new Lexus vehicles so far, Kept them for the following numbers of years: 8-6-5-7-7.. When we traded in the first 3 they still had their original batteries. The 2 we currently own just passed into their 7th years, and both are still on their original Panasonic brand batteries. So, just based on limited experience with 5 new Lexus batteries, they have not proven to be "crap."

Quick Reply: Battery