LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 07:57 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1
We have owned 5 new Lexus vehicles so far, Kept them for the following numbers of years: 8-6-5-7-7.. When we traded in the first 3 they still had their original batteries. The 2 we currently own just passed into their 7th years, and both are still on their original Panasonic brand batteries. So, just based on limited experience with 5 new Lexus batteries, they have not proven to be "crap."
got to add distilled water every year. Did you ever do that? If not what do you think would happen to the longevity of your if you never changed the oil?
Old 04-24-18, 07:59 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

We have owned 5 new Lexus vehicles so far, Kept them for the following numbers of years: 8-6-5-7-7.. When we traded in the first 3 they still had their original batteries. The 2 we currently own just passed into their 7th years, and both are still on their original Panasonic brand batteries. So, just based on limited experience with 5 new Lexus batteries, they have not proven to be "crap."
Same here, I had Lexus since 93, ranging from ES, GS, RX, two GXs, and LX. Except with one GX with one battery change in 11th years and LX is still new, all other were sold after more than 6 years old, all with original batteries.
Old 04-25-18, 10:59 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Back in the 1980's, the only cordless drill I could find was from Panasonic...it ran forever until new NiCad's were not available...just saying imo Panasonic pioneered a ton of battery technology. Only issue to me is a phenomenal price. If you're looking for a higher capacity battery than oem, Optima makes a great no-maintenance battery. The ultimate is to contact Slee and score their kit to drop in a type 31 marine battery...it fits without issues.
Old 05-02-18, 08:37 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
I would use a battery tender if the battery was accessible but it is under the damn plastic covers and I don't have the energy to run the needed wires.
I had read about 3rd generation LX batteries dying after the vehicle was parked for long periods, so I asked the service manger at my dealer about the issue during my 6000 mile service. They installed the wiring, and gave me a Lexus branded battery tender - all without any cost to me.

While I never experienced the dead battery issue, it was listed as a warranty service item.
The following users liked this post:
REDHORSE (05-03-18)
Old 05-03-18, 08:50 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I had read about 3rd generation LX batteries dying after the vehicle was parked for long periods, so I asked the service manger at my dealer about the issue during my 6000 mile service. They installed the wiring, and gave me a Lexus branded battery tender - all without any cost to me.

While I never experienced the dead battery issue, it was listed as a warranty service item.
Nice. I may give that a try.
Old 01-24-19, 08:24 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Is there a TSB on the free battery tender or just goodwill of YOUR Lexus dealership?

My LX570 battery keeps dying on me. Since we have multiple vehicles, the LX is the garage queen. If not driven for two weeks, the battery dies. The Lexus dealership checked it out TWICE and found nothing wrong.

Can you tell me my question above?

Thanks

Old 01-24-19, 09:55 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Is there a TSB on the free battery tender or just goodwill of YOUR Lexus dealership?

My LX570 battery keeps dying on me. Since we have multiple vehicles, the LX is the garage queen. If not driven for two weeks, the battery dies. The Lexus dealership checked it out TWICE and found nothing wrong.

Can you tell me my question above?
To my knowledge, no TSB exists for a battery tender.

That said, you can find one at Wal Mart or any auto parts store for ~ $30 or so. Installation may take up to 10 minutes, and the only tool needed is a 10mm wrench or socket to remove the battery terminal nuts and connect the charging cable to the tender.

hth
Old 01-24-19, 12:19 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Just another note re: adding wiring to use a battery tender. I've posted all of this before. Connecting the battery tender quick connect wiring to the battery terminals is very easy for anyone with basic manual dexterity and an understanding of how not to shock yourself while dealing with a car battery. Where it got interesting for me was when I decided to re-route the dealer added battery tender wire.

My initial chouce was to run the wire through the grille, so I did not need to open the hood every time I wanted to conect the charger. The only ways I found to do this were (1) running the wire over the top of the radiator support, where it would be pinched when the hood was closed on it, or (2) running the the wire through an available opening between the engine bay and the grille; this opening was uncomfortably close to the fan blades.

After living with the pinched wire for a while, I decided to run a new wire through the firewall into the car interior. That was a challenge, but doable. I connected the wires from the battery to an aftermarket plug I installed under the dash. Now I can use a Battery Tender brand solar panel that I plug into that outlet, and place on the dash when the LX will be parked for a week or more. This is convenient and works for me because my LX lives outdoors. I left the through-the- grille cable in place so that I could use it when necessary.

This was a fair amount of time and effort in order to make an expensive "luxury" vehicle into a dependable starter. Luckily I am retired and have the time, and I enjoy wrenching on vehicles. As I posted before, I did determine that my LX does have a fairly significant parasitic power draw when compared to my other Lexus and my BMW. When the weather improves, starting to pull fuses to track down the source of the power draw is on my to-do list.
Old 01-24-19, 01:38 PM
mmalik
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Lexus batteries are crap. I have had 4 in my 2011 LX. Either go to Lexus for a replacement and expect it to fail in 18months OR pull it out and put in a decent battery like an Odyssey. (no Optima's, they are crap now).

Amazon Amazon
Hi,
I have a 2007 LS460 with 180K miles on it. I replaced the battery 1.5 years ago at 150K. (no mods)
Also have a 2013 LX570 with 90K miles on it. Still OEM battery and no issue. (no mods).
I find Lexus to be very reliable in all aspects i'm not sure why you are having issue. Seems user issue to me (no offense).
Old 01-29-19, 10:47 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Max707

got to add distilled water every year. Did you ever do that? If not what do you think would happen to the longevity of your if you never changed the oil?
I'm really not sure why you chose to respond to my post the way you did? Would you please explain. Have I offended you somehow?
Old 01-29-19, 06:17 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

My LX570's battery went dead again last week (this is the second OEM Lexus replacement battery。 Prior to that had three AAA replacement batteries. All within 12 months period.). The selling Lexus dealership could not find what is wrong a few months ago and declared ALL OK.

Fast forward to last week...... battery went dead again. We took our LX to a much bigger Lexus dealership this time last week. It's been three
for over a week now and they have determined that there is a drain somewhere, but don't know where. We had bought the highest level of OEM Lexus EXTENDED WARRANTY when new (the original Lexus warranty is over). They originally said the extended warranty will cover this, but now telling us there "MIGHT" be a diagnostic charge of upwards of five hundred dollars plus depending on what they find..... I told them this is TOTAL BS!! Especially no mods on the LX570!!! And around 35K miles on odo (2013) ALL OEM.

Originally Posted by hankinid
To my knowledge, no TSB exists for a battery tender.

That said, you can find one at Wal Mart or any auto parts store for ~ $30 or so. Installation may take up to 10 minutes, and the only tool needed is a 10mm wrench or socket to remove the battery terminal nuts and connect the charging cable to the tender.

hth
​​​​​​​
Old 01-29-19, 07:39 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Fast forward to last week...... battery went dead again. We took our LX to a much bigger Lexus dealership this time last week. It's been three
for over a week now and they have determined that there is a drain somewhere, but don't know where.

We had bought the highest level of OEM Lexus EXTENDED WARRANTY when new (the original Lexus warranty is over). They originally said the extended warranty will cover this, but now telling us there "MIGHT" be a diagnostic charge of upwards of five hundred dollars plus depending on what they find..... I told them this is TOTAL BS!! Especially no mods on the LX570!!! And around 35K miles on odo (2013) ALL OEM.
I cannot understand "don't know where"...you start with an ammeter connected across each fuse, inside and engine compartment, and see if current is passing with the truck turned off. Some will show no current, others a little (they're normally ok "keep-alive" fuses, and one or more may pass tons of current. Isolating the high current circuits with a wiring diagram will let the tech find each item fed by the fuse until the offenders are found and removed. It's PITA work that requires focus and no distractions.

Were I you, I might be thinking of involving Lexus corporate, but I'd give the service manager a heads-up first before as a courtesy. If no response from SM, corporate will get you one.
Old 01-30-19, 08:15 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I don't know either what all this BS from them about can't find out what is wrong. I mean I bought the LX570 for the reliability (certainly this gen of LX is nowhere as good as my prior gen LX where we drive all the way to 280K+ miles before trading in for this new LX). If the reliability or TOP service is out the window, might as well get a Range Rover and keep it as long as the warranty is still good and get a new one every few years. The previous (selling) Lexus dealership last month said ALL good and nothing is wrong EXCEPT that we needed to drive the LX more often. But the battery drains dead in just one week to ten days!!! We have like 6 late model vehicles (4 of which are Lexus) so we don't really drive the LX EVERYDAY. (I know this is a first world problem, right?). So last month that dealership suggested a battery tender which I declined at that time and took back out LX thinking ALL OK until last week when we did not drive the LX for just one week and the battery died again!!

This time the current Lexus dealership had my LX for 7 FULL DAYS NOW AND STILL CAN NOT FIGURE THIS OUT!!! The LX is still there!!

Here is the text from the SA (name redacted):

"Hey XXXXXXXXXXX, i left you a VM earlier, the tech is going to need more diag time, he still cant figure out what keeps draining the battery, the price for the diag is $510, depending on what he finds, it might be additional, if the extended warranty covers it, then there is no charge to you."

My response:

"What do you mean "if the extended warranty covers it"? That's why we bought the extended warranty. "

SA's response:
"extended warranty doesn't cover 100% of the car, depending on what the technician finds, it might or might not cover it,"

My response:
"We bought the highest level of extended warranty offered by Lexus. EVERYTHING in our LX570 is OEM. IF there is a PARASITIC ELECTRICAL DRAIN A THEN IT IS A FACTORY DEFECT. Please work it out with the extended warranty. Thanks
So the LX570 is not ready for pickup tomorrow????
Who is the service manager and would you please give me his/her contact information? Thanks"

Originally Posted by hankinid
I cannot understand "don't know where"...you start with an ammeter connected across each fuse, inside and engine compartment, and see if current is passing with the truck turned off. Some will show no current, others a little (they're normally ok "keep-alive" fuses, and one or more may pass tons of current. Isolating the high current circuits with a wiring diagram will let the tech find each item fed by the fuse until the offenders are found and removed. It's PITA work that requires focus and no distractions.

Were I you, I might be thinking of involving Lexus corporate, but I'd give the service manager a heads-up first before as a courtesy. If no response from SM, corporate will get you one.

Old 02-01-19, 08:28 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

veery weird, keep us updated. I am on my 3rd LX and never had this issue but I read on the LS460 forum there is a member where apprenetly a rodent chewed some wires around/under the trunk area it was draining the battery.
Old 02-02-19, 08:48 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UZ214
veery weird, keep us updated. I am on my 3rd LX and never had this issue but I read on the LS460 forum there is a member where apprenetly a rodent chewed some wires around/under the trunk area it was draining the battery.
Rodents gnawing on wiring under the hood and in other locations is not uncommon...winter is cold, nests need to be made, and the need for food is ongoing. I've read that a bag of mothballs strategically scattered works but need periodic replacement. Some internet reports show major issues with soybean-based wire insulations...not sure if Toyota uses that insulation. From what I've seen, it looks like Toyota uses a cross-linked polymer insulation not derived from soybeans, but I'm not aware of Toyota confirming their insulation choice.

In my case, my avatar hunts with a couple of buddies...rodents can't get through their defensive lines around the house, and another 3-4 feral cats take care of the barn. Their defensive line works perfectly 24/7/365. We're less than half a mile from the Birds of Prey National Conservation Area so between the cats and eagles, hawks, and owls rodent's don't have a chance.

Quick Reply: Battery