Transmission Problems - 2016 LX 570

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 09:44 AM
Aramis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Problems - 2016 LX 570

Hello,
I have lurked and participated on this site for quite a while, all the way back when I had my 2003 GX 470! (Which I loved...)

I made the decision to upgrade to a 2016 LX 570 new when they first came out after being stunned by the aggressive exterior looks and plush interior. (I had to have that NAV Screen and all the neat new tech features!) The truck drove like a tank right from the dealer, but I just assumed that is how all 6000 LB vehicles drove and forced myself to get used to it. At this point I guess I am used to the heavy feeling, that is until I get in my wife's RX that feels like a sports car compared to my LX but that's a different story.

Anyway, I started complaining to the dealer around a year after I purchased about the transmission shifting badly between 20mph and 30mph. After another year of mildly complaining every time I take it in for service I have come to my limit... Its just miserable to drive, especially in traffic where you hover between 20 and 30 mph. It just shifts so hard every 3 to 5 shifts that I have begun "bracing" for it every time I put my foot back on the gas.

I saw one other post here but it was mostly about crappy / lagging acceleration with a little rough shifting, but haven't really seen anywhere else where people are complaining. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue? (I did make them do the transmission TSB even though they protested that it wasn't applicable and were trying to tell me I would have to pay as its not covered under my warranty at the time.)

Exact way to reproduce the problem:
Accelerate up to between 20 and 30 MPH. Let off of the gas and let coast a little like in traffic. You can noticeably feel the truck slow while shifting down (I think). Then gently begin applying gas and a lot of times it will shift hard to the point you can hear it and feel it. (Probably once out of every three to five times - that makes for hundreds of incidents if in traffic for any length of time on a daily basis...)

On top of this, Lexus of Orlando recently built a new second location and half the people went there. Service has really taken a dive since this opening and I can barely get a call back from a service manager ever. (Someone I like and have known for 15 years there...) Every time I take my truck or my wife's truck in it is always so rushed and they really don't have a clue without constant reminders of why we are there in the first place, what we talked about etc... Just too busy.

A friend who is in to rebuilding race cars (hobby) said it feels like "Backlash" and recommended just getting rid of it since I am getting nowhere with the dealer and its causing me such stress at this point. I did drive a new 2017 LX last year and it drove much better and I was unable to reproduce the rough shifting so I feel like it is definitely something wrong with my truck. The service guy at the time blew it off and said its just the way they drive due to the 4 wheel drive system... Unfortunately I own a business and get so caught up that I have let this slip for over a year - the truck now has 60,000 miles and I am worried I won't get this resolved before the power train warranty runs out and I definitely don't feel confident this transmission will last like my GX did.

Thanks for any help or advice you guys have. I really would love to keep this truck for a long time like I did my GX, but I find myself more and more looking at other options like the new Navigator and dreading spending any amount of time in my truck...
Old 04-11-18, 02:21 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Aramis
Hello,
I have lurked and participated on this site for quite a while, all the way back when I had my 2003 GX 470! (Which I loved...)

I made the decision to upgrade to a 2016 LX 570 new when they first came out after being stunned by the aggressive exterior looks and plush interior. (I had to have that NAV Screen and all the neat new tech features!) The truck drove like a tank right from the dealer, but I just assumed that is how all 6000 LB vehicles drove and forced myself to get used to it. At this point I guess I am used to the heavy feeling, that is until I get in my wife's RX that feels like a sports car compared to my LX but that's a different story.

Anyway, I started complaining to the dealer around a year after I purchased about the transmission shifting badly between 20mph and 30mph. After another year of mildly complaining every time I take it in for service I have come to my limit... Its just miserable to drive, especially in traffic where you hover between 20 and 30 mph. It just shifts so hard every 3 to 5 shifts that I have begun "bracing" for it every time I put my foot back on the gas.

I saw one other post here but it was mostly about crappy / lagging acceleration with a little rough shifting, but haven't really seen anywhere else where people are complaining. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue? (I did make them do the transmission TSB even though they protested that it wasn't applicable and were trying to tell me I would have to pay as its not covered under my warranty at the time.)

Exact way to reproduce the problem:
Accelerate up to between 20 and 30 MPH. Let off of the gas and let coast a little like in traffic. You can noticeably feel the truck slow while shifting down (I think). Then gently begin applying gas and a lot of times it will shift hard to the point you can hear it and feel it. (Probably once out of every three to five times - that makes for hundreds of incidents if in traffic for any length of time on a daily basis...)

On top of this, Lexus of Orlando recently built a new second location and half the people went there. Service has really taken a dive since this opening and I can barely get a call back from a service manager ever. (Someone I like and have known for 15 years there...) Every time I take my truck or my wife's truck in it is always so rushed and they really don't have a clue without constant reminders of why we are there in the first place, what we talked about etc... Just too busy.

A friend who is in to rebuilding race cars (hobby) said it feels like "Backlash" and recommended just getting rid of it since I am getting nowhere with the dealer and its causing me such stress at this point. I did drive a new 2017 LX last year and it drove much better and I was unable to reproduce the rough shifting so I feel like it is definitely something wrong with my truck. The service guy at the time blew it off and said its just the way they drive due to the 4 wheel drive system... Unfortunately I own a business and get so caught up that I have let this slip for over a year - the truck now has 60,000 miles and I am worried I won't get this resolved before the power train warranty runs out and I definitely don't feel confident this transmission will last like my GX did.

Thanks for any help or advice you guys have. I really would love to keep this truck for a long time like I did my GX, but I find myself more and more looking at other options like the new Navigator and dreading spending any amount of time in my truck...
There is a service bulletin regarding the low speed gear hunting issue on 2016 LX. All you need to do is taking the LX to the dealer for a transmission ECU reprograming. I had the same issue with my 2016 LX and after reprograming, it all smooth as it should be now. It is well published.
Old 04-13-18, 07:23 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
There is a service bulletin regarding the low speed gear hunting issue on 2016 LX. All you need to do is taking the LX to the dealer for a transmission ECU reprograming. I had the same issue with my 2016 LX and after reprograming, it all smooth as it should be now. It is well published.
If you're not getting the dealer experience you feel you need, call corporate (contact info at lexus.com) and get your regional Toyota / Lexus rep involved.
Old 04-17-18, 05:05 AM
Aramis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.

I dropped the truck off a few days ago and took the senior tech for a drive again. He was able to feel / hear the problem and they promised me they would give it a serious look this time. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but so far they haven't even moved the vehicle after three days... (Love the iphone app...)
Old 04-17-18, 12:51 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Aramis
Thanks for the feedback.

I dropped the truck off a few days ago and took the senior tech for a drive again. He was able to feel / hear the problem and they promised me they would give it a serious look this time. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but so far they haven't even moved the vehicle after three days... (Love the iphone app...)
Which iPhone app is that?
Hope the transmission issue gets resolved this time. It sucks to experience that in a relatively new car. I plan on getting a 2016+ LX in next 2-3 years but will keep my GX.
Old 04-17-18, 01:58 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
Which iPhone app is that?
Hope the transmission issue gets resolved this time. It sucks to experience that in a relatively new car. I plan on getting a 2016+ LX in next 2-3 years but will keep my GX.
I think Aramis was talking about Lexus inform Remote App. It can check the status of LX, include vehicle location and trip summaries. That's what he is referring that car hasn't moved for three days.
Old 02-17-23, 07:53 PM
mariolc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive bought and sold many many Toyota/Lexus SUVs. The 2007 and early models are pretty bullet proof and need only fluid changes every 60k miles to survive 500k or more miles. Occasionally I've seen the trans shutter at or near OD or OD lockup and thats remedied with a torque converter and fresh fluid.

The new problem I have seen mentioned here with the 2008 and later is not common in the early ones. I believe the issue is the valve bodies. I think with mileage over 100k they begin to fail to produce the necessary pressure to solidify the shifts including reverse. The trans dont feel like they're slipping they just can't secure the shifts.
It usually starts with solenoid codes. I dont believe it's a fluid problem. I dont believe it's a solenoid problem. I dont believe its a clutch pre wear issue.Toyota and Lexus always responds with a new tranny because it both makes them the most money and surely will resolve the issue and the care of possible premature clutch wear due to the issue with these newer transmissions.

A rebuilt valve body is not that expensive and they come with new solenoids. If you attack the issue early the valve body will solve the issue.

I really think this is the issue with most of the GX and LX and LC trans issues.

https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resource...-transmissions
Old 03-22-23, 03:27 PM
VoodooGX
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a problem I haven't seen mentioned after going through all 36 pages of this thread:

I did a drain & fill on my 2012 (110k miles) the other day using Toyota WS fluid. I drained cold fluid (3qts) and pumped 3.5qts of cold fluid back in. I performed the fluid check procedure using a jumper in the OBD port. Once the Drive light came back on solid, I drained the overflow to a trickle. I backed out of the garage ~100' to the road, then put it in Drive to go back into the garage. The truck revved, but did not accelerate normally. I felt like it was slipping. I cycled through the gears and tried again to no avail. Pulled it back in the garage, shut it off and waited a half hour or so. When I tried to pull out of the garage, the truck would would not move in Reverse. No codes. I did this as preventative maintenance as well all do. My truck was shifting perfectly fine prior. I'm at a loss.
Old 12-13-23, 02:02 PM
GeneE
Driver

I have a 2012 GX460 100k miles. showing code 2714. 4 lo, cel, and trac lights on. showing code 2714, indicating solenoid d - off. It shifts perfectly so far. if this is an indicator of something about to result in a non-operating trans within a few miles, it would be great to find a fix early. Thinking about the reman valve body and solenoids route.
Old 12-14-23, 08:10 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneE
I have a 2012 GX460 100k miles. showing code 2714. 4 lo, cel, and trac lights on. showing code 2714, indicating solenoid d - off. It shifts perfectly so far. if this is an indicator of something about to result in a non-operating trans within a few miles, it would be great to find a fix early. Thinking about the reman valve body and solenoids route.
I am guessing you mean code P2714.
I googled p2714 Lexus and plenty of CL threads showed up. Plenty of information regarding this issue on several different models.
sounds like you have a good plan.

Question for ya, have you ever changed the ATF?
that would be my first thing to do.

I just changed all of it on my 2007 SC430 with 60k miles, as preventative maintenance and used 16qts.

Let us know what you are going to do and how it turns out.

Old 12-18-23, 06:37 AM
GeneE
Driver

Thanks for getting back. The trans fluid was changed about 500 miles ago at 101k.