Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 10:18 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Love my LX - But...

Darn it LEXUS!
Luv my LX - but it's ELEVEN years old!
Every high end manufacturer is putting out amazing new Luxury SUV's - and they quickly become the best selling model.
Even Lamborghini ! (Their new Urus is sold out for months and it's not being delivered yet!)
And...Lambo plans on building 3,500 for 2019 - that is half of total production.
(LEXUS sold 3,884 of my 2015 vintage LX!)
Same for Bentley / RR etc.

Replace the LS as the Flagship of the brand with a new three row Lux SUV.
Something on the order of a 2018 Navigator.
500 hp minimum / BIG / capable off road / tow 10-12,000
And make a smaller variant that's more nimble but truly Lux

I so want a Navigator (If you drive one so will YOU!) but the dealer / service experience can't be matched - LEXUS is the best.

Last edited by xfea; 04-08-18 at 10:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Max707 (04-13-18)
Old 04-08-18, 12:51 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

lol. ive been sayin it all along. die harders here dont get it....
Old 04-08-18, 01:39 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Stopped reading at " capable off road ".

You definitely need a Navigator if you are confused about makes your 200 series so special.
Old 04-08-18, 04:11 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
Ever bothered to look at the world map? Hint - US is not the whole world. And you can sell cars outside of the US as well. Who would have thought?
Old 04-08-18, 04:52 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Darn it LEXUS!
Luv my LX - but it's ELEVEN years old!
Every high end manufacturer is putting out amazing new Luxury SUV's - and they quickly become the best selling model.
Even Lamborghini ! (Their new Urus is sold out for months and it's not being delivered yet!)
And...Lambo plans on building 3,500 for 2019 - that is half of total production.
Same for Bentley / RR etc.

Replace the LS as the Flagship of the brand with a new three row Lux SUV.
Something on the order of a 2018 Navigator.
500 hp minimum / BIG / capable off road / tow 10-12,000
And make a smaller variant that's more nimble but truly Lux

I so want a Navigator (If you drive one so will YOU!) but the dealer / service experience can't be matched - LEXUS is the best.
You seem surprised...not sure why. Toyota designs the Land Cruiser as well as the LX variant for a 25 year, 250K mile lifespan...they're answer to extremely reliable transportation in areas of the world where it's really needed. I.e., well ahead of any Navigator longeivity.

Lambo, RR, Bentley...are you serious? If so, it's a great apples v. oranges comparison.

If you think Ford quality is as good as Toyota's, go for the Navigator. I've driven one...an Expedition if I ever saw one.

Originally Posted by T4Fun
lol. ive been sayin it all along. die harders here dont get it....
I'm not seeing a "die harder" here.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Stopped reading at " capable off road ".

You definitely need a Navigator if you are confused about makes your 200 series so special.
A 200 series will run a Navigator ragged off road.

Originally Posted by Quadro
Ever bothered to look at the world map? Hint - US is not the whole world. And you can sell cars outside of the US as well. Who would have thought?
Toyota's major markets for the 200 series are definitely nowhere near North America.
Old 04-09-18, 06:28 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Buy the truck you like period.
Old 04-09-18, 11:39 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hankinid
You seem surprised...not sure why. Toyota designs the Land Cruiser as well as the LX variant for a 25 year, 250K mile lifespan...they're answer to extremely reliable transportation in areas of the world where it's really needed. I.e., well ahead of any Navigator longeivity.

Lambo, RR, Bentley...are you serious? If so, it's a great apples v. oranges comparison.

If you think Ford quality is as good as Toyota's, go for the Navigator. I've driven one...an Expedition if I ever saw one.

I'm not seeing a "die harder" here.

A 200 series will run a Navigator ragged off road.

Toyota's major markets for the 200 series are definitely nowhere near North America.
The Rubicon Trail is a few miles from my Tahoe home where my LX570 lives.
And when I ran the trail - I did it like most everyone else - in a Wrangler with big 35 tires lockers etc.
Nobody is going to use a newish LX - but you can.
The idea that LEXUS ignores (for now) the very profitable high end Lux SUV market is just wrong.
There are a lot more $100k Suv's pulling boats and going to nice restaurants than jacked up Jeeps - all over the world.
Old 04-09-18, 01:31 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

The Rubicon Trail is a few miles from my Tahoe home where my LX570 lives.
And when I ran the trail - I did it like most everyone else - in a Wrangler with big 35 tires lockers etc.
Nobody is going to use a newish LX - but you can.
I also consider Rubicon Trail "my home trail" although I live further from it - on the other side of Lake Tahoe (you know, the side without state income taxes, normal gas prices, normal gun laws...) :-)
And I did it many times with my Jeep JK on 35s :-) I also did many interesting trails with my '16 LX570. But I am not quite sure about the Rubicon trail. I think that LX cannot do it without significant damages (front bumper on '16 LX is the biggest issue). You would have to put offroad bumpers, rock rails and at least 33" tires on your LX to do it. And it still would be extremely difficult. But it can be done with a stock Jeep JK (or better now JL) Wrangler Rubicon - no modifications needed (although recommended). Toyota should come with some competitions for Wrangler. Just bringing Land Cruiser 70 series to the USA would be enough.
Old 04-09-18, 07:55 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I could be wrong, but I don't think Lexus, or Toyota for that matter, cares abotu catering the 200 series to the north American market because it absolutely dominates everywhere else.
Old 04-10-18, 10:21 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RXGS
I could be wrong, but I don't think Lexus, or Toyota for that matter, cares abotu catering the 200 series to the north American market because it absolutely dominates everywhere else.
ahh but we dont live in vacuum. All other SUVs are availble where LX and LC is sold. Its a global market all manufacturers everywhere. Lexus needs to step it up...
Old 04-10-18, 01:18 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
ahh but we dont live in vacuum. All other SUVs are availble where LX and LC is sold. Its a global market all manufacturers everywhere. Lexus needs to step it up...
Step up what? Their appeal to the posers and the Kardashian wanna-bes?
Old 04-10-18, 04:22 PM
ndmiller
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The LC is Toyota's heritage flagship vehicle solely made in Japan for the global marketing in dozens and dozens of variations. It's been around since the 50's, something Range Rover and Jeep can claim but not many other brands and certainly not any large SUV's. Toyota stepped it up back then and the US isn't the LC biggest market, so they cater to their real customers and we get the honor of getting their scraps. Other large SUV's sold in the US might be more stylish or modern, but don't hold a candle in terms of reliability or customer satisfaction with Toyota or Lexus.

Hit a couple potholes at commuting speeds in some of these SUV's versus the LX or LC and you'll see what I mean instantly. Not perfect, but excellent where it counts.
Old 04-11-18, 10:06 AM
vclifford
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I also consider Rubicon Trail "my home trail" although I live further from it - on the other side of Lake Tahoe (you know, the side without state income taxes, normal gas prices, normal gun laws...) :-)
And I did it many times with my Jeep JK on 35s :-) I also did many interesting trails with my '16 LX570. But I am not quite sure about the Rubicon trail. I think that LX cannot do it without significant damages (front bumper on '16 LX is the biggest issue). You would have to put offroad bumpers, rock rails and at least 33" tires on your LX to do it. And it still would be extremely difficult. But it can be done with a stock Jeep JK (or better now JL) Wrangler Rubicon - no modifications needed (although recommended). Toyota should come with some competitions for Wrangler. Just bringing Land Cruiser 70 series to the USA would be enough.
Toyota FJ Cruiser, 4 Runner belong to Wrangler Category. LX is different type of off-road vehicle. It is meant for overland trips or dirt roads. In rest of the world dirt roads / Trails are way of life for going from one town to other, or to go to remote project site. They roads are meant for transporting people, goods and animals and many times are the only means of connection to other parts. Some place have been inhabited for hundreds/thousands of years but now are progressing towards so called modern life. These roads suffer from land slide, dry river beds, floods etc etc and are far away from repair shops. These are essentially truck roads which are repaired year after year but nature overtakes every year. These are not Rubicon trail which server no purpose other than entertainment.

PS: I have experience with such roads but not with LX . UN specs LX is different from US specs LX. .
Old 04-11-18, 11:30 AM
ndmiller
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vclifford
Toyota FJ Cruiser, 4 Runner belong to Wrangler Category. LX is different type of off-road vehicle. It is meant for overland trips or dirt roads. In rest of the world dirt roads / Trails are way of life for going from one town to other, or to go to remote project site.
Excellent point, sort of summarizes why I bought my LX. Not going crawling/mudding/rock climbing, but rather comfortably traveling/camping in off the beaten path places, some actually commercial. Same reason I ride a 1200GS motorcycle, so I can go places off the road for a bit to see things otherwise unreachable.
Old 04-11-18, 07:55 PM
xfea
Intermediate

And that is my point - LEXUS LS is supposed to be FLAGSHIP - but it ain't holding it's own.
And the LX - isn't close to being a FLAGSHIP in this day and age...
But Toyota could...

Quick Reply: Love my LX - But...