Check VSC System Code; 4LO warning light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 04:00 AM
Niceeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check VSC System Code; 4LO warning light blinking

Hello Everyone,

I started the car this morning and all of a sudden 3 or 4 warning lights came on, the system is prompting to check VSC System Code and 4Lo, Check engine light is on. At this point, if I switch the car to 4LO it is not working either and the option to switch off VSC is not working. However, the SUV seems to be running fine, I don't feel any difference except these warning lights. I have read several threads in this regard, the Gas cap is fully intact, the battery is brand new, any idea what may be the issue?
Old 02-23-18, 08:13 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Niceeh
Hello Everyone,

I started the car this morning and all of a sudden 3 or 4 warning lights came on, the system is prompting to check VSC System Code and 4Lo, Check engine light is on. At this point, if I switch the car to 4LO it is not working either and the option to switch off VSC is not working. However, the SUV seems to be running fine, I don't feel any difference except these warning lights. I have read several threads in this regard, the Gas cap is fully intact, the battery is brand new, any idea what may be the issue?
Your issue was reported on mud and I've experienced myself on my 200. Seems to be caused by lack of time in 4LO. Fix is to stop the truck and put the transmission in neutral, and then switch to 4LO and driving a short distance. It took me 2-3 attempts before the lights went out. I then began driving the truck once a week or so in 4LO along a 2 mile gravel road that borders my place. No further occurrences, knock wood.
Old 02-23-18, 02:50 PM
Niceeh
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

I have tried using the method you have suggested but it seems like the 4LO and other functions dont work anymore on my SUV. If i press the VSC off button more move the car into 4LO it does give any response. Therefore, I took the car to Autozone to get the codes and the following code was read:

Code P0031: Sensor 1 H02S Heater Control Circuit signal had low voltage for a predetermined period of time

I am trying to investigate what it means.....not sure if you have come across this code?
Old 02-24-18, 12:22 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Hello,

I have tried using the method you have suggested but it seems like the 4LO and other functions dont work anymore on my SUV. If i press the VSC off button more move the car into 4LO it does give any response. Therefore, I took the car to Autozone to get the codes and the following code was read:

Code P0031: Sensor 1 H02S Heater Control Circuit signal had low voltage for a predetermined period of time

I am trying to investigate what it means.....not sure if you have come across this code?
Normally, the code relates to one of the 4 oxygen sensors in the exhaust system...2 before and 2 after the cat.

A quick google got me this... Lexus code p0031

hth. I'd start praying that it's not an ecu issue. Post back when you find the cause.

Steve
Old 02-25-18, 12:40 PM
Niceeh
Driver School Candidate

The dealership has diagnosed the same, it needs B1 S1 Air Fuel Sensor, cost me $145 for the diagnosis that Autozone did for free. In order to replace the sensor, it will cost me $632.00 and 145 of the diagnosis will be counted towards the replacement job. I have checked with another mechanic in the neighborhood and they said they will charge 350 - 400 for a DENSO Sensor, which comes out to be the same thing as the dealership in terms of cost at this point. I may just go to the dealership since it is Genuine Lexus part and has 2 years Warranty. Didn't think it will cost $650 bucks for the job, I was told it goes bad a lot and typically when any of these sensors are bad the car goes into limping mode.
Old 02-25-18, 07:48 PM
ships10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealership has diagnosed the same, it needs B1 S1 Air Fuel Sensor, cost me $145 for the diagnosis that Autozone did for free. In order to replace the sensor, it will cost me $632.00 and 145 of the diagnosis will be counted towards the replacement job. I have checked with another mechanic in the neighborhood and they said they will charge 350 - 400 for a DENSO Sensor, which comes out to be the same thing as the dealership in terms of cost at this point. I may just go to the dealership since it is Genuine Lexus part and has 2 years Warranty. Didn't think it will cost $650 bucks for the job, I was told it goes bad a lot and typically when any of these sensors are bad the car goes into limping mode.
May I ask what year and mileage your car is?

Last edited by ships10; 02-25-18 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-25-18, 07:49 PM
Niceeh
Driver School Candidate

2010 and 53k.
Old 02-25-18, 07:52 PM
ships10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that’s kinda early for sensors to go out....but maybe the age maybe a factor.
Old 07-21-18, 08:20 AM
Arraco
Driver School Candidate

Just seeing this. IH8MUD guys identified it as (of all things) a dirty MAF and PCV valve. Replaced the PCV and cleaned the MAF then reset the CEL. So far so good.

Side bar - the PCV was incredibly gunky, only 130k miles, never seen one so nasty at such low mileage - maybe a by (blow by) product of these super lo viscosity oils to meet CAFE
Old 07-21-18, 09:33 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Had a similar problem. Mine wouldn't go into Low range or lock the center differential, but had warning lights. Fooled around with it enough that the lights finally went out but it still wouldn't shift. Since we were already shopping for a new LX went ahead and let the dealer have it as a trade on a 2018. Mine had 130,000 miles and was a 2011.
Old 07-21-18, 03:12 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Arraco
Just seeing this. IH8MUD guys identified it as (of all things) a dirty MAF and PCV valve. Replaced the PCV and cleaned the MAF then reset the CEL. So far so good.

Side bar - the PCV was incredibly gunky, only 130k miles, never seen one so nasty at such low mileage - maybe a by (blow by) product of these super lo viscosity oils to meet CAFE
Without expecting a 10 page discussion, I'll say I typically run a bit thicker than 0W-20, especially with temperatures here.
Old 01-18-20, 01:37 PM
LX570M
Driver School Candidate

Default Check VSC System = New Fuel Cap

Got the dreaded Check VSC System (with flashing 4Lo) & thx to this forum, went to O’Reily & got a new fuel cap. Old OEM one was indeed loose.

after new cap, lights stayed on. Went to AutoZone & pulled the codes & attaching results below. Asked the kind man at AutoZone to reset them. He did.

Started the truck again & lights are off & 4Lo is back in action. Complete fix = $10.

Old 01-23-20, 02:18 PM
grbbenny
Driver School Candidate

Default New Gas Cap Worked - Then Didn't!

Originally Posted by LX570M
Got the dreaded Check VSC System (with flashing 4Lo) & thx to this forum, went to O’Reily & got a new fuel cap. Old OEM one was indeed loose.

after new cap, lights stayed on. Went to AutoZone & pulled the codes & attaching results below. Asked the kind man at AutoZone to reset them. He did.

Started the truck again & lights are off & 4Lo is back in action. Complete fix = $10.
I just ran into this problem as well. I installed a new OEM gas cap and after a couple of short trips, the lights no longer lit when starting the vehicle. Sadly, 48 hours later after a 30 minute drive with the lights out, I restarted the vehicle and the lights are back.

Anyone have thoughts about this?

Thank you.
Old 01-23-20, 07:12 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

You need to have someone pull the codes to properly diagnose the problem. There is over 1800 different codes/ reasons those lights are on.
Old 01-23-20, 07:24 PM
grbbenny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Supra Dr
You need to have someone pull the codes to properly diagnose the problem. There is over 1800 different codes/ reasons those lights are on.
Amazon is winging a code reader my way as we speak!

The code is p0453 Evaporative Emission Control Pressure Sensor High Input.

Last edited by grbbenny; 01-25-20 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Check VSC System Code; 4LO warning light blinking