LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Dynamic Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 03:30 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts
Default Dynamic Turn Signals

This might be an old topic that has been discussed before, just some thoughts to share.

In Asia and UAE market, the 2016+ LX570 has the Dynamic Turn Signals. By looking at rear combination lights, US specified LX, there is a white strip above the break lights are blank plastic where in other market, those are all LEDs for Dynamic turn signals. Also LX does not have the separate turn signal relay as it is part of ECU computer. Therefore, my thoughts on this is: if we can get the rear lights assemble with the strip LEDs, this should be a program ECU to enable the dynamic turn signals. Has anyone had information on LX ECU parameters, or TIS program information on dynamic turn signal option?

Old 02-18-18, 07:02 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

There is a long thread on this in the RX forum. The OP had to replace the rear lights completely and it was not cheap.

see here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...installed.html

Last edited by ggebhardt; 02-18-18 at 07:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (02-18-18)
Old 02-18-18, 05:17 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
There is a long thread on this in the RX forum. The OP had to replace the rear lights completely and it was not cheap.

see here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...installed.html
Reading through the RX forum, it seems this would just be a Plug-N-Play modification with proper light assembly. Although the RX discussion thread was not very well discussed plus RX has far more configurations due to various trim levels. However, from what I can get from pieces and bits information, the actually sequential control of the strip of LED is built into the light fixture. Which does make sense the US specified LX tail light (the inner part) just missing the whole strip of lights with the blanks in place. Give the number of production of total number of LX sold world wide, this would be the easiest way to meet various local regulation. I have done some searching on inner tail light assembly, and found costs around $1000 USD per pair in Asia market. If removing the light fixture on tailgate is not too difficult, it is definitely worth a try.
Old 02-19-18, 01:37 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

It all depends on how bad you want it.
Old 02-19-18, 06:51 AM
lex97h
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
Reading through the RX forum, it seems this would just be a Plug-N-Play modification with proper light assembly. Although the RX discussion thread was not very well discussed plus RX has far more configurations due to various trim levels. However, from what I can get from pieces and bits information, the actually sequential control of the strip of LED is built into the light fixture. Which does make sense the US specified LX tail light (the inner part) just missing the whole strip of lights with the blanks in place. Give the number of production of total number of LX sold world wide, this would be the easiest way to meet various local regulation. I have done some searching on inner tail light assembly, and found costs around $1000 USD per pair in Asia market. If removing the light fixture on tailgate is not too difficult, it is definitely worth a try.
What about the front sequential turn signal? It has the led in place. So would replacing the inner rear tail light make the front turn signal work? I am curious as well. Also will the harness connector be the same? I am thinking it could be more than just the missing led in the tail light. In the RX forum, they did mention that the connector is different too, and perhaps a control board is missing too. If it was a plug and play I am down with the conversion.
Old 02-19-18, 08:09 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lex97h
What about the front sequential turn signal? It has the led in place. So would replacing the inner rear tail light make the front turn signal work? I am curious as well. Also will the harness connector be the same? I am thinking it could be more than just the missing led in the tail light. In the RX forum, they did mention that the connector is different too, and perhaps a control board is missing too. If it was a plug and play I am down with the conversion.
From what I read in the RX forum, it is far from being plug and play
Old 02-19-18, 04:55 PM
hzhao
Racer

From I am reading from RX forum post, the sequential control units seemed built into the light fixture (not sure if its correct assumption). So, I don't think rear will have anything to do with the front. As far as the connectors, RX has several configuration depends on different trim level and options installed, the rear combination lights have full LED and non-full LED configurations, that will determine what type of connectors and may require the modification. Consider the LX, besides the missing strip of LED, there is no configuration difference in physical and other configuration changes from various market. I won't consider to do anything in the front it will be far more complex and even cost if those needs to be replaced. Besides, there are more difference compare US version and others, such as conferring lights which is on the upper conner of fog lights. Son for the front, I would suspect there are additional connects and other additional components involved.
Old 02-19-18, 05:03 PM
hzhao
Racer

According the guy did on RX, he only did for the rear and stated its a direct plug and play (with proper trim level due to the connector variation). I have done some reading on lights physical remove and install area, the guy mentioned about pretty involved, I believe that he is referring to the physical process of removing and replace the lights. From Lexus parts list, depends what you have, the replacement may involve of take the original lights mounting bracket and trim piece and reassembled with new lights body if what you bought just a main components of the lights itself. For LX, the whole inner lights assembly could be 10 different component if you counts the small clip and screws, etc.:

Last edited by hzhao; 02-19-18 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-19-18, 05:11 PM
hzhao
Racer

When I look at lift gate on LX, the process of replace the inner rear lights, would involve remove the door panel and possible speakers, etc. Those might be the hardest part.
Old 02-19-18, 05:59 PM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In my family, we have 2 2016 LX570s (in different continents), one with the Dynamic turn lights and the other without it. However, while driving I really can't notice a difference
But seriously, they look really cool and its really on another level than what other brands have implemented. You will love it!
Old 02-19-18, 06:56 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

When I look at lift gate on LX, the process of replace the inner rear lights, would involve remove the door panel and possible speakers, etc. Those might be the hardest part.
Inner back lights really simple...plastic panel removal tool, screwdriver, 8 & 10mm wrenches.

Last edited by hankinid; 02-20-18 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 06:10 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

For an LX, it is not completely plug and play. If you do get the lights from Japan, the driver side wiring is complete, BUT, you will have to add wires to the harness on the passenger side for it to work.

Cool mod tho

j.
Old 03-25-18, 06:23 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Actually, both inner and outer lights have to be changed.
Old 03-27-18, 04:42 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by j0mama
Actually, both inner and outer lights have to be changed.
You are correct that both inner and outer lights has to be in a "set". From what I am looking at those light unit, the "driver" seems build right into the lights assembly itself. For the sake of trying for error, I did ordered complete set of tail lights and will give a try. Just need find some time to work on it. Based on service manual, it is the pain to remove the inner light assembly, not only need to take back panel off, which really interlocked from top piece,then side panel, than the large back panel.... after that, you have to remove the rear speakers in order to access the screws that holding the light assembly....Just hoping non of those efforts are into waste side. Only encourage part is looking through the lighting control ECU information, there is NONE programable presenters about sequential turn signal. If those are true, then the sequential drive has to be part of lights assembly. I will keep all posted when get to it in next few days if all possible.
Old 03-27-18, 07:16 AM
j0mama
Rookie

You are correct that both inner and outer lights has to be in a "set". From what I am looking at those light unit, the "driver" seems build right into the lights assembly itself. For the sake of trying for error, I did ordered complete set of tail lights and will give a try. Just need find some time to work on it. Based on service manual, it is the pain to remove the inner light assembly, not only need to take back panel off, which really interlocked from top piece,then side panel, than the large back panel.... after that, you have to remove the rear speakers in order to access the screws that holding the light assembly....Just hoping non of those efforts are into waste side. Only encourage part is looking through the lighting control ECU information, there is NONE programable presenters about sequential turn signal. If those are true, then the sequential drive has to be part of lights assembly. I will keep all posted when get to it in next few days if all possible.
I was the same way, but I was in Japan, so I purchased both sets and brought them back with me. The large back panel is easy to remove, I did it before since I installed a light in the access cover to get more light in the tailgate area

Yes the driver is built into the two lights. A quick comparison of the lights shows the cables have two extra wires. Looking into one of the original signals they kinda look like they are complete with everything, but missing the wiring. I didn't dig deeper into it, since I had mine working..

What you will need to do is run a wire from the backdoor to the passenger side taillight, since the wiring within the car does not have to the two signal wires. The drivers side lights are plug and play.

j.

In the housing the wires you are missing in the harness are PG0 and PG1, which needs to be connected from one light to the other.
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (03-27-18)

Quick Reply: Dynamic Turn Signals