LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Dynamic Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 12:45 PM
lex97h
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by j0mama
I was the same way, but I was in Japan, so I purchased both sets and brought them back with me. The large back panel is easy to remove, I did it before since I installed a light in the access cover to get more light in the tailgate area

Yes the driver is built into the two lights. A quick comparison of the lights shows the cables have two extra wires. Looking into one of the original signals they kinda look like they are complete with everything, but missing the wiring. I didn't dig deeper into it, since I had mine working..

What you will need to do is run a wire from the backdoor to the passenger side taillight, since the wiring within the car does not have to the two signal wires. The drivers side lights are plug and play.

j.

In the housing the wires you are missing in the harness are PG0 and PG1, which needs to be connected from one light to the other.
So based on what you stated with the missing PG0 and PGI wires, can the harness be purchased directly from Japan or can both wires be ran from one light to the other? Since the front already have the LED light present, are there hardware drivers missing from the light assembly itself for it to work?
Old 03-27-18, 02:19 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lex97h
So based on what you stated with the missing PG0 and PGI wires, can the harness be purchased directly from Japan or can both wires be ran from one light to the other? Since the front already have the LED light present, are there hardware drivers missing from the light assembly itself for it to work?
That picture is looking at the harness that goes into the light. Comparing the two lights (Japanese and Canadian) The control board inside the light looks exactly the same, but was missing two wires on the Canadian light. The Japanese light had the proper amount of wires.

What I was saying is that on the actual vehicle, the wires that connect the two signal wires for the sequential lights are present in the harness on the driver side lights, but the passenger side harness does NOT have the wiring. I had to manually run 2 wires from the brake light, to the light that is in the rear door.

j.
Old 03-27-18, 02:22 PM
j0mama
Rookie

I only saw what I can see from the little rubber plug where the harness goes in. I didn't open both lights to compare the two. But a quick look when they where side by side, seemed that the electronics was inside.... I just didn't want to melt a housing to figure it out. I sold/selling my old lights on ebay.

j.
Old 03-27-18, 04:54 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

I only saw what I can see from the little rubber plug where the harness goes in. I didn't open both lights to compare the two. But a quick look when they where side by side, seemed that the electronics was inside.... I just didn't want to melt a housing to figure it out. I sold/selling my old lights on ebay.

j.
Am I understanding this correctly: you ran two wires (PG0 & PG1) from driver side of harness to the passenger side of harness (the light assembly end), because there are two missing wires from passages side of harness (the vehicle side). Also, the outer two lights assembly just plug N play. Correct?

Thanks for the info and clarification.
Old 03-27-18, 07:10 PM
lex97h
Rookie

That picture is looking at the harness that goes into the light. Comparing the two lights (Japanese and Canadian) The control board inside the light looks exactly the same, but was missing two wires on the Canadian light. The Japanese light had the proper amount of wires.

What I was saying is that on the actual vehicle, the wires that connect the two signal wires for the sequential lights are present in the harness on the driver side lights, but the passenger side harness does NOT have the wiring. I had to manually run 2 wires from the brake light, to the light that is in the rear door.

j.
So did running the two wires from the passenger side make the sequential turn signal work? Or did you need to modify or add something else on top of the wiring?

This is getting very interesting and I am hoping that someone would figure out the difference between the US and Japanese LX570. I just feel cheated that we don't get the sequential turn signal in the US.
Old 03-27-18, 08:34 PM
hzhao
Racer

So did running the two wires from the passenger side make the sequential turn signal work? Or did you need to modify or add something else on top of the wiring?

This is getting very interesting and I am hoping that someone would figure out the difference between the US and Japanese LX570. I just feel cheated that we don't get the sequential turn signal in the US.
Besides wires, you will need to change out the lights assembly because NA version there is no strip of LEDs in the inner portion of the lights (the area where right below the chrome deco on the lift gate. The sequential drive circuits are built into the light assembly. I wish the front could be that easy to do, but I will be happy at least just to get the back to work.
Old 03-27-18, 08:43 PM
hzhao
Racer

The reasons for us not be able to getting the sequential turn signal is due to the current regulation that is set by DOT, that requires the initial turn signal needs to be certain luminance and areas of illumination when you turn on the turn signal. With current sequential setup, the initial illumination is only a one signal illuminated LED, which did not meet the DOT requirement. Unfortunately, no one would have thought about light development before and changing the regulation in US is not that easy..... Frankly, we don't get lots new tech toys due to many similar restriction and regulations we are currently have on the book which is so out dated.
Old 03-27-18, 09:59 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Originally Posted by hzhao
Am I understanding this correctly: you ran two wires (PG0 & PG1) from driver side of harness to the passenger side of harness (the light assembly end), because there are two missing wires from passages side of harness (the vehicle side). Also, the outer two lights assembly just plug N play. Correct?

Thanks for the info and clarification.

The two wires get run from the light in the middle to the light on the side light only on the passenger side..

The following users liked this post:
hzhao (03-28-18)
Old 03-28-18, 07:11 AM
hzhao
Racer

The two wires get run from the light in the middle to the light on the side light only on the passenger side..
I see. You have to ran two wires from inner light to the outer lights. So that will run the wires along the edge of lift gate up to the rubber boot and fishing into the body panel down to the outer light area.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-28-18, 01:06 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

of course this make no sense when audis progressive turn signals are same.
Old 03-28-18, 04:41 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Originally Posted by T4Fun
of course this make no sense when audis progressive turn signals are same.
Audi in North America starts with the big light, then goes progressive... But the Lexus starts with the led....

j.
Old 03-28-18, 05:04 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Looking at the other light, the board seems to be in there......

So, since I haven't sold one side of the lights, I decided to see if I can take it apart to see if the LEDS are actually there... But it looks like I have to heat the housing to open it.
Old 03-28-18, 07:25 PM
lex97h
Rookie

Looking at the other light, the board seems to be in there......

So, since I haven't sold one side of the lights, I decided to see if I can take it apart to see if the LEDS are actually there... But it looks like I have to heat the housing to open it.
Most likely the lens are glued together and will require heat to separate it. I am pretty sure the LED are not present in the inner tail light housing because I shine a flashlight on it and can't seem to see it.

When you connected the PG0 and PGI wires together between the inner and outer tail light, did the sequential light work? Or you haven't tried it yet?
Old 03-28-18, 07:35 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Yes, I added the wires, between the passenger side inner and outer (as well as replaced the lights), and I have sequential rears! As I said in the previous post, the driver side is plug and play.

j.
Old 03-29-18, 05:02 AM
lex97h
Rookie

Yes, I added the wires, between the passenger side inner and outer (as well as replaced the lights), and I have sequential rears! As I said in the previous post, the driver side is plug and play.

j.
It appears that the driver side also has the yellow turn signal wire going into the connector whereas the passenger side did not. Was the yellow wire present in the passenger side harness?

Quick Reply: Dynamic Turn Signals