LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

lx570 family of 5 hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 01:34 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts
Default lx570 family of 5 hauler?

so I have had lx470 and 570s in the past, we are expecting one more addition to the family so 5 people in all...I already have 2 kids that are still in car seats maybe have a year or 2 to go before they can sit without. I am looking to pick up a lx570 and I would be using the 3rd row probably all the time. Now my heart is set on the 570 because I mean there is nothing better and I will stay with Lexus , but the brain tells me I should get a newer Honda Pilot or Toyota sequoia. Not a fan of minivans but they seem the most practical..
I also drive a lot I mean I put at least 200-300 miles a week on my car and lx570 drinks gas like free beer.

so the question is people with 3 kids how do you manage? even with 2 kids at times I thought lx570 could use a little more space but it was manageable
The following users liked this post:
Skmeyer123 (01-02-21)
Old 02-01-18, 03:09 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
so I have had lx470 and 570s in the past, we are expecting one more addition to the family so 5 people in all...I already have 2 kids that are still in car seats maybe have a year or 2 to go before they can sit without. I am looking to pick up a lx570 and I would be using the 3rd row probably all the time. Now my heart is set on the 570 because I mean there is nothing better and I will stay with Lexus , but the brain tells me I should get a newer Honda Pilot or Toyota sequoia. Not a fan of minivans but they seem the most practical..
I also drive a lot I mean I put at least 200-300 miles a week on my car and lx570 drinks gas like free beer.

so the question is people with 3 kids how do you manage? even with 2 kids at times I thought lx570 could use a little more space but it was manageable
The Sequoia has ~3 more cubic feet of storage space v. the LX. Mileage, performance, HP and torque are functionally equal as they have the same engine. Sequoia uses a 6-speed transmission, the LX an 8-speed...having put miles on both, I definitely prefer the 6-speed. It's also around half the price of an LX. If you feel the gas mileage is killing you, the Honda may be what you need.

With 3 kids, we had GMC and Chevrolet Suburbans. Having kids you're hauling a bunch of paraphernalia to say the least.
Old 02-01-18, 04:09 PM
chrisleduc
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an LX, a LS, and a 2018 Odyssey (a 2011 before that), with 2 kids in car seats and a third on the way. The Odyssey is the way to go. Drives WAY better than the LX, better gas mileage, ergonomics, etc... The only thing the Odyssey is not better at is offroad and sitting up higher.. Oh, and I dont have dual screens in my Odyssey like in my LX. Doors that slide open that kids can open and climb in and out of is awesome. Doors that slide back instead of out in parking lots is awesome. TONS more room inside. I would speculate that the Odyssey is safer as well, based on the limited comparable crash tests.
Old 02-01-18, 05:08 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisleduc
I have an LX, a LS, and a 2018 Odyssey (a 2011 before that), with 2 kids in car seats and a third on the way. The Odyssey is the way to go. Drives WAY better than the LX, better gas mileage, ergonomics, etc... The only thing the Odyssey is not better at is offroad and sitting up higher.. Oh, and I dont have dual screens in my Odyssey like in my LX. Doors that slide open that kids can open and climb in and out of is awesome. Doors that slide back instead of out in parking lots is awesome. TONS more room inside. I would speculate that the Odyssey is safer as well, based on the limited comparable crash tests.
+1... as a former owner of 2012 Odyssey Touring package & 3 kids family I totally agree with what said above... If you want to save more $$$ you still can find 2017 Odyssey leftovers with $10K off sticker price for sure...
Old 02-01-18, 06:05 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Get a minivan or even better, a real van for now. Access to the third row seat in the LX sucks, especially if you'll be maneuvering a child seat and child in and out of it. And with the third seat occupied you'll have minimal space for luggage and child supplies. Wait until the offspring are able to get in and out by themselves and then you'll be ready for the generation 4 LX. And why spend over $100K now just to have a Lexus that will end up smelling like kid poop and sour milk.
Old 02-01-18, 07:40 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I own both - LX and Sequoia. I can confirm that Sequoia is a really good choice for families with 3+ children. 2018 Sequoia has adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitor, LED headlights... And plenty of space. It's not so bad offroad. You can usually get to many interesting places. But of course, LX drives better and its offroad capability is also better. Buy both as I did :-)
Old 02-01-18, 08:34 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

how is the drive, I sat on the older gen sequoia and it rode rough, nothing like the LX does your have the normal suspension.

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I own both - LX and Sequoia. I can confirm that Sequoia is a really good choice for families with 3+ children. 2018 Sequoia has adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitor, LED headlights... And plenty of space. It's not so bad offroad. You can usually get to many interesting places. But of course, LX drives better and its offroad capability is also better. Buy both as I did :-)
Old 02-01-18, 08:39 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

my kids threw up all the time and kids are in general pretty messy , I am thinking the 3rd row my two boys can sit and in the 2nd row the wife and the new born. The concern I have with the lx is the cargo space is very less and might be hard for a stroller.

Originally Posted by Reggie1
Get a minivan or even better, a real van for now. Access to the third row seat in the LX sucks, especially if you'll be maneuvering a child seat and child in and out of it. And with the third seat occupied you'll have minimal space for luggage and child supplies. Wait until the offspring are able to get in and out by themselves and then you'll be ready for the generation 4 LX. And why spend over $100K now just to have a Lexus that will end up smelling like kid poop and sour milk.
Old 02-01-18, 08:45 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

I just realized Odessa does not have AWD I need AWD we get some snow here and we do trips in winter to ski places. I don't really go off-road but when had the lx. I would take it sand dunes/ beaches and it was awesome
Originally Posted by chrisleduc
Old 02-01-18, 09:31 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

how is the drive, I sat on the older gen sequoia and it rode rough, nothing like the LX does your have the normal suspension.
The drive is significantly worse altghough not so bad. But there is also a price difference :-)
Old 02-01-18, 10:25 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sequoia is bigger but not that much bigger in terms of space inside like minivan and its quite a whale to drive. Not my choice for family hauler. Minivan would be way to go or just get 2 CUVS for price of one LX.
Old 02-02-18, 01:12 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I know exactly what you are going through.

Back from 2000 to 2013 we had a 2000 LX470. We started out with one baby, the about two years later another baby, and then two years later another baby. We stopped with three babies. Every time we go out on trips we had the LX470 jam packed. Our other car was a Volvo 960 4 door sedan and no way can comfortably fit everyone and everything in that.

My wife just refused to drive minivans and still refusing today.

What we had to do was to get something like this (We got it at Walmart at the time. But this one at Harbor Freight is better and cheaper bc it can be folded up when not in use as in when parked so it won't stick out. For $99 it's a bargain.):

We put baby stroller, cooler, and etc on it and strap them down. But after you park, it's not secure due to possible thieft. FULLY enclosed models further below.

https://www.harborfreight.com/750-lb...ier-62660.html

Or very nice fully enclosed type (but costs a lot more):

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...closed_Carrier

Last edited by lexusrus; 02-02-18 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-02-18, 09:38 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Your into LX570’s. You’re on here wanting us to talk you into something you do not want to do which is drive a minivan go with your gut get the LX 570 enjoy your life.
Old 02-02-18, 11:05 AM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should look at a sequoia. We had the latest body style for 7 years with no issues. Ours had 2nd row captains chairs with the middle open for pass through. Easy access to a third row and plenty of space for strollers and stuff. I have an LX and my wife has a QX 80 now. I think the sequoia beats both in the space, 3rd row comfort and storage categories.
Old 02-02-18, 11:43 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Your wife "pooped" out your 3rd kid so she's DESERVED the LX and nothing less (just don't get light color interior).

I have 3 boys and the GX460 is fine (even the RX350 is fine as well).

Quick Reply: lx570 family of 5 hauler?