LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Determining CPO fair value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 06:18 PM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Determining CPO fair value?

For those of you that have purchased an L-Certified vehicle how did you determine your offer or acceptable purchase price? I’ve tried to use KBB pricing for CPO without any success. I even referenced it in one of my negotiations and had the dealer say the don’t go by those figures. (Unless of course they are low balling you on your trade) It almost seems like the numbers KBB provides must be inaccurate, because who else is selling CPO besides the dealer. I definitely don’t want to pay too much, but the dealers in my region seem to all price them high, even when you factor in a hefty allowance for the certified warranty. Anyone have a similar experience? Any suggestions on a better alternative?
Old 01-14-18, 08:31 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ntx
For those of you that have purchased an L-Certified vehicle how did you determine your offer or acceptable purchase price? I’ve tried to use KBB pricing for CPO without any success. I even referenced it in one of my negotiations and had the dealer say the don’t go by those figures. (Unless of course they are low balling you on your trade) It almost seems like the numbers KBB provides must be inaccurate, because who else is selling CPO besides the dealer. I definitely don’t want to pay too much, but the dealers in my region seem to all price them high, even when you factor in a hefty allowance for the certified warranty. Anyone have a similar experience? Any suggestions on a better alternative?
It's winter, and those of us with snotty roads generally keep the truck through the winter. You might also consider broadening your search area, have your finances ready, and have no issues catching a flight to get to your perfect truck.
Old 01-15-18, 10:22 PM
chrisleduc
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I worked in the car business in a past life. Since then I’ve boight and sold at least one car every year, and sometimes more. Probably 20 or so...I do not keep cars long.

KBB can be helpful, but it can be worthless. It won’t sell you a car and it won’t buy yours. It’s “opinion” is therefore ultimately worthless. Want to know what something is worth? Shop around and see what you can actually buy one for. That’s the current value. If Kelly won’t sell you one, then Kelly becomes worthless. Kelly won’t send a check for yours, so her assessment of your trade or private party sale price might be worthless.

Example being used Odyssey vans. Especially the 2011-2017 models, but the older as well. It’s rare that you can find a used one at KBB, especially a higher mileage one. They’re highly sought after and KBB goes right out the window. I know because I bought one, drove it a year, and then resold it before buying a new 2018.

Go on autotrader and search nationwide. Find a few that are CPO and closest to what you want. Work on the best price. Once you have a few quotes, you have the current market value.

Hopw thst helps.
Old 01-17-18, 09:33 PM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chrisleduc
I worked in the car business in a past life. Since then I’ve boight and sold at least one car every year, and sometimes more. Probably 20 or so...I do not keep cars long.

KBB can be helpful, but it can be worthless. It won’t sell you a car and it won’t buy yours. It’s “opinion” is therefore ultimately worthless. Want to know what something is worth? Shop around and see what you can actually buy one for. That’s the current value. If Kelly won’t sell you one, then Kelly becomes worthless. Kelly won’t send a check for yours, so her assessment of your trade or private party sale price might be worthless.

Example being used Odyssey vans. Especially the 2011-2017 models, but the older as well. It’s rare that you can find a used one at KBB, especially a higher mileage one. They’re highly sought after and KBB goes right out the window. I know because I bought one, drove it a year, and then resold it before buying a new 2018.

Go on autotrader and search nationwide. Find a few that are CPO and closest to what you want. Work on the best price. Once you have a few quotes, you have the current market value.

Hopw thst helps.
This is good advice. And effectively what I did when KBB wasn't working for me. I made a run at a few different dealer in my state and adjacent ones. Then I came across a 2015 with 19,900 miles and a date of first use of January 2016. I wound up paying more but I've got a warranty for four years and a few weeks with unlimited miles. One quick update on Kelly not buying cars. They actually are buying cars. If you go to Carmax they give you a Carmax offer and a KBB offer. Both times I've had them do an appraisal KBB was the higher offer.
Old 01-17-18, 11:06 PM
chrisleduc
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ntx
...One quick update on Kelly not buying cars. They actually are buying cars. If you go to Carmax they give you a Carmax offer and a KBB offer. Both times I've had them do an appraisal KBB was the higher offer.
Sure, but that’s still not Kelly buying it. That is Carmax determing to use Kelly’s valuation. Kelly will not buy it, but merely tell you where they think others “should.” They’ve made a nice profit doing so
Old 01-18-18, 03:24 AM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chrisleduc
Sure, but that’s still not Kelly buying it. That is Carmax determing to use Kelly’s valuation. Kelly will not buy it, but merely tell you where they think others “should.” They’ve made a nice profit doing so
This might be semantics, but you get two offers from Carmax - one is a Carmax offer and the other is presented as an offer from KBB. The process of of physically evaluating your car is done by a Carmax rep, but in my experience the numbers are sometimes significantly different between both offers. Carmax handles the transaction for either offer, but it was my understanding that KBB is doing something with the cars they buy and they are not just going on the Carmax lot or to an auction from Carmax.
Old 01-20-18, 05:22 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The KBB "offer" is a deception if it makes someone think KBB is making an offer to actually buy a vehicle. KBB doesn't "buy" anything. They say so clearly on their website. The whole thing is a product they sell to make people think they know the fair value of their vehicle. Dealers use it as a sort of "second opinion" to support the (usually low-ball relative to what the individual could sell the vehicle for) offer that they make.
Old 01-21-18, 08:58 AM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I6turbo
The KBB "offer" is a deception if it makes someone think KBB is making an offer to actually buy a vehicle. KBB doesn't "buy" anything. They say so clearly on their website. The whole thing is a product they sell to make people think they know the fair value of their vehicle. Dealers use it as a sort of "second opinion" to support the (usually low-ball relative to what the individual could sell the vehicle for) offer that they make.
Not sure we are talking about the same thing. This is specifically regarding a Carmax appraisal to buy your car. They present two offers- a Carmax offer and a KBB offered. My experience is the KBB offer was significantly higher. If this was just Carmax smoke and mirrors wouldn’t they be presenting their offer as better than KBB to make it look attractive?
Old 01-21-18, 04:32 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

It's just them trying to get your car.