LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Repair and keep my 470 or trade to the 570?

Old 01-07-18, 01:04 PM
jholder
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Repair and keep my 470 or trade to the 570?

You are the perfect person to bounce this idea off of, since you understand land cruisers and LX’s. Here’s the deal – My wife’s 2006 LX 470 has 167,000 miles on it. Looks wise, it is literally like it’s out of the show room. Not a scratch, leather inside is perfect, etc. we have kept it perfectly maintained and every service has been done at the dealer since brand new. Always a Brentwood car until us. We are due to have those air shocks replaced, which will be a couple thousand dollars or so. With the mileage, though I know it is very low for those models, we are almost wondering if we should go ahead and trade up to the newer one. We are definitely not just looking for something to buy, but rather just trying to think what makes the most sense. The dealer really wants ours, naturally because I’m sure he can sell it quickly due to the condition and how it’s been maintained. We were looking at a 14 with 60,000 miles that is $47k. The dealer has offered us 14 for ours, which I feel like I could get more if I sold it out right. I know that is very expensive and, again, more than we would normally pay but my wife is set on staying with that model. And, it almost makes sense to go a little bit more and get 60,000 miles versus getting 100,000 miles right off the bat. If we are going to trade down in mileage, we need to make it enough to justify the difference.

I get a little excited about the newer technology but worry is regret getting rid of one that’s been perfect maintained. Part of me thinks we either trade it right now before we get closer to 200,000 miles or we need to decide to keep it and run it into the ground.

So, what’s the scoop and what would you guys do?

Thanks! Justin
Old 01-07-18, 01:19 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you aren't bothered by the slow acceleration my recommendation is to keep the 470. I traded my 470 for a new 570 in 2011 because after a safety recall the dealer couldn't get the steering feel back like it was originally. We really liked the 470 more than our current 570. In the 470 the rear seats come out easily, I loved having the rear wind-wings that you could open, the size was better, liked the tire size better, and to me it was more comfortable than our 570. The only advantage *** far as I'm concerned is the increased acceleration.
Old 01-07-18, 01:43 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Keep it you know what you have. Dump the AHC and have a old man emu 2” lift installed. It will ride like a new vehicle and be good for a long long time. Contact Slee off road in Golden Colorado but it will cost less then messing with your hydrolic suspension. I’m assuming your 100 is rust free
Old 01-07-18, 02:39 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

We had a 2000 LX470 bought brand new in 2000.

We traded in for another brand new 2013 LX570. AT the time our old LX470 had some 280K+ miles on the odo. The old LX470 was maintained on time with all maintenance up to date. Overall in EXCELLENT condition inside and outside.

Somewhere I read that Toyota/Lexus build these to withstand all kinds of driving conditions to the tune of 300K miles WITHOUT an engine or tranny overhaul.

While I still got a good feeling about our old LX470 with 280K+ miles at the time, I just don't want my wife be stranded somewhere with our kids since she was the main driver for that vehicle. Plus all that modern electronic stuff (especially Bluetooth) and safety equipment (side air bags were not an option in our old LX470) were just too hard to resist.

The Lexus dealership literally sold our old LX470 the next day as it was at the port getting ready to board a boat to overseas!!!

I figured after 13 years/280K+ miles of essentially trouble free service, it was time.

Yours got a lot less miles and newer than our old LX470. SO you may just want to keep it. Whenever I see the LX470 on the road, I still like its timeless design. The new LX570 is just more modern and everything. It's all a matter of taste/style

We never regretted the move to our current 2013 LX570 as we really enjoying it. We tend to keep our vehicles for a long time so over time cost wise it's all good.

Originally Posted by jholder
You are the perfect person to bounce this idea off of, since you understand land cruisers and LX’s. Here’s the deal – My wife’s 2006 LX 470 has 167,000 miles on it. Looks wise, it is literally like it’s out of the show room. Not a scratch, leather inside is perfect, etc. we have kept it perfectly maintained and every service has been done at the dealer since brand new. Always a Brentwood car until us. We are due to have those air shocks replaced, which will be a couple thousand dollars or so. With the mileage, though I know it is very low for those models, we are almost wondering if we should go ahead and trade up to the newer one. We are definitely not just looking for something to buy, but rather just trying to think what makes the most sense. The dealer really wants ours, naturally because I’m sure he can sell it quickly due to the condition and how it’s been maintained. We were looking at a 14 with 60,000 miles that is $47k. The dealer has offered us 14 for ours, which I feel like I could get more if I sold it out right. I know that is very expensive and, again, more than we would normally pay but my wife is set on staying with that model. And, it almost makes sense to go a little bit more and get 60,000 miles versus getting 100,000 miles right off the bat. If we are going to trade down in mileage, we need to make it enough to justify the difference.

I get a little excited about the newer technology but worry is regret getting rid of one that’s been perfect maintained. Part of me thinks we either trade it right now before we get closer to 200,000 miles or we need to decide to keep it and run it into the ground.

So, what’s the scoop and what would you guys do?

Thanks! Justin
The following users liked this post:
Max707 (01-07-18)
Old 01-07-18, 05:13 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

when I traded my 470 2006 for a 570 there we a immediate regret after couple of days. the 470 along with ls430 I think are the best Lexus cars ever made. They are just build like a tanks the newer Lexus just does not have thing solid feeling. you know when you close the door you hear that thud ..on the other hand the 570 is much better at handling on highways..the engine is really good still crappy on gas but it makes the upgrade totally worth it. I would say the 570 is all quieter as well..comfort wise I would say the 570 is better my I also like the larger size. if i was in your spot I would upgrade to 570...

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
If you aren't bothered by the slow acceleration my recommendation is to keep the 470. I traded my 470 for a new 570 in 2011 because after a safety recall the dealer couldn't get the steering feel back like it was originally. We really liked the 470 more than our current 570. In the 470 the rear seats come out easily, I loved having the rear wind-wings that you could open, the size was better, liked the tire size better, and to me it was more comfortable than our 570. The only advantage *** far as I'm concerned is the increased acceleration.
Old 01-07-18, 06:42 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

If I were you, I would never accept 14k for LX470 the way you maintained it, I would ask at least 20k, or just keep it and get the 570 for your wife.
In my opinion, the 470's are better looking than the 570's. BTW, I own 2013 LX570 and I love the car.
Old 01-07-18, 07:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Tough call. 470 is a classic. But the 570 has lots of nice stuff and power.
Old 01-07-18, 08:09 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I always wanted an 06-07 LC or LX. I still would love to have one today to use on occasion. By this point, they are classic Lexus to me. Gorgeous and timeless. From what you wrote, you seem to be similar to I am with our 02 GS 430. Even though the GS has not been a daily driver for the past 7 years, I still love it enough to never sell. The car has been meticulous maintained at only Lexus/Toyota dealers and looks fantastic. We get comments every time its out.

You know the service history and care that your 06 LX has received. In my opinion, cars are reliable if well maintained. Meaning, sudden breakdowns should not necessarily be expected if the car has been well cared for, serviced by the dealer and perfectly maintained its entire life, regardless of millage. As others have pointed out, your LX was over engineered and has plenty for life in her. Personally, I would have Lexus replace the suspension parts that are bad and keep it. For peace of mind, and if budget permits, pick up another, new(er) LX/LC with low millage to use as a daily driver. I tend to get attached to vehicles that I have enjoyed and that have treated me well. Many people are not like that and would not have a second thought about trading it in. I would keep it however. As your dealer demonstrated, they will have no problem reselling it and I can only imagine values have stopped depreciating on good examples, just as they have on well cared for examples of the first gen LX 450.

Last edited by jjbenzo; 01-07-18 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 10:40 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep it.

The cost of repair is still greater than the value of the LX470. Regardless which one you choose, the 470 and 570 are tanks.
Old 01-08-18, 01:33 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think your very nice, well-kept 2006 model will still bring $14K or more (if you sell it yourself) for several more years even if you put quite a few additional miles on it. If you really like it, you should think twice about getting rid of it. At the least, I suggest you take some lengthy test drives in a 570 and consider carefully whether or not you want to give up the 470. They are quite different, and I find the 570 to be much more "mainstream" and lacking some of the Land Cruiser charm compared to both the LX and the GX 470.

As I've said before, I believe every new Toyota platform since the mid-1990s is losing more and more of the old school "Toyota-ness" that made them special to a lot of us. IMO, the GX 470 was the last great Toyota in this regard, and in many ways, the high water mark for Toyota vehicles.
Old 01-08-18, 02:31 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

get what you want not what you need
Old 01-09-18, 12:14 PM
oceanokie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy LX470 vs Moving up to LX570

I wish I would have kept my garage queen LX470. I am finding several sub-par qualities with my 2014 LX570. Example, less space in rear for large dogs, windshields that will not de-ice, wiper fluid nozzles that freeze up while driving, cold coming through dash in winter and a steering wheel that requires gloves to be warn on long winter trips. Lexus dealer says no problems, being cold in your $90k SUV is not our problem! I also have a 2010 Range Rover and never have issues like this. Needless to say Lexus has lost a 15 plus year LX customer.

FYI; 16months ago CarMax gave me $21k (buy out, not trade in) for my 2005 LX470 with 69,000 miles on it. Thats $6k over what the Lexus dealer was offering. Lexus dealer in Reno, NV will not even make offer to buy back my 2014....it will most likely go to CarMax
as well as I pick out a new Range Rover to replace it with.
Old 01-09-18, 03:25 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes that was my experience also, Lexus Dealer gave me $36000 for my 2013 LX570 immaculate with 30k miles, and CarMax offered me $44,000 buy out. That is in Las Vegas.
Old 01-09-18, 09:42 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by oceanokie
I wish I would have kept my garage queen LX470. I am finding several sub-par qualities with my 2014 LX570. Example, less space in rear for large dogs, windshields that will not de-ice, wiper fluid nozzles that freeze up while driving, cold coming through dash in winter and a steering wheel that requires gloves to be warn on long winter trips. Lexus dealer says no problems, being cold in your $90k SUV is not our problem! I also have a 2010 Range Rover and never have issues like this. Needless to say Lexus has lost a 15 plus year LX customer.

FYI; 16months ago CarMax gave me $21k (buy out, not trade in) for my 2005 LX470 with 69,000 miles on it. Thats $6k over what the Lexus dealer was offering. Lexus dealer in Reno, NV will not even make offer to buy back my 2014....it will most likely go to CarMax
as well as I pick out a new Range Rover to replace it with.
I'd say they are in the right in this case, none of those are warranty problems. Doesn't your LX come with a heated steering wheel? If not, the heater should heat up the interior pretty fast.

You should try adding alcohol to your washer fluid to help the icing issues.
Old 01-09-18, 10:24 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This works great BTW. For my washer fluid I just mixed Distilled Water, some Vodka (40% alcohol), and RainX windshield fluid additive, all of which I already had. A strange concoction but it works!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repair and keep my 470 or trade to the 570?