LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Michelin tire question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 07:57 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed they do. Some even run 305's with rubbing and melting their mud flaps. Each to their own once again. Factory spec for the tread is 9.3 so I'm not far off.
Old 01-14-18, 08:26 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
My 285/55/20 BFG AT/KO2's are 2.8% bigger then stock Toyota Landcruiser 285/60/18's well within the 3% acceptable deviation. If there is such a thing
Who suggested the 3% acceptable deviation?

Look it up on tire rack your thread is 8.9" on your 275/55/20 Defender. My 285/55/20 BFG AT/KO'2 is 10.1" tread width. Most members on IH8MUD run larger then stock tire's like 33" or more.
I have 33's on the Land Cruiser and 295-75 x 16's, whatever their height is, on the LX. You won't believe this, but ABS works fine.

But not only that...

This is Canguro Racing's 200 series "Monica". You may notice the tires probably blow the 3% deviation out of the water. She placed second in her division in the Baja 1000. First place was a factory Toyota truck. Amazingly, her ABS works perfectly, but can be turned off.

Old 01-14-18, 08:54 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by pizdets17
Agreed they do. Some even run 305's with rubbing and melting their mud flaps. Each to their own once again. Factory spec for the tread is 9.3 so I'm not far off.
Defenders are great tire's, you are definately with in your 3% comfort range. I'm in the 3% range for the 200 series platform and the tire sizes Toyota/Lexus uses for OEM, so I am also by accident adhering to the conservative BS that rules corporations by their lawyers. I would’ve gotten larger tires but I like to have bigger spaces in my wheel well then larger tires would deliver and I didn’t want to deal with trying to raise the AHC suspension on my Lexus too big a hassle. So to me it was about having a heavy duty truck tire and a balanced look.
Attached Thumbnails Michelin tire question-image.png  

Last edited by Max707; 01-15-18 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 12:28 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

yes you are, providing there is zero difference in the way the sensors are programmed between the two vehicles even though they are different vehicles
Old 01-15-18, 12:35 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

This picture sure makes the truck look stock. The only way you can say "ABS works" is if you tested the stopping distance on both vehicles with the different tires. Im sure it would work with 24's on it too. But would it work as well ask an oem setup? Even tough you already seem to have all the answers, I doubt you can make this claim without performing a test like this.

Originally Posted by hankinid
Who suggested the 3% acceptable deviation?

I have 33's on the Land Cruiser and 295-75 x 16's, whatever their height is, on the LX. You won't believe this, but ABS works fine.

But not only that...

This is Canguro Racing's 200 series "Monica". You may notice the tires probably blow the 3% deviation out of the water. She placed second in her division in the Baja 1000. First place was a factory Toyota truck. Amazingly, her ABS works perfectly, but can be turned off.

Old 01-15-18, 10:46 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Based on my practical Jeep experiences: Slightly larger tires with a small lift (or no lift) is not a problem (that means going from 31 or 32" tires to 33" tires and 2" lift). When you go to 35 or 37" tires and 3.5" lift and higher, you usually want to disable ESP because it can make you a lot of troubles while driving on paved roads. ABS still works fine, there are no known problems with ABS and bigger tires. Jeep allows you permanently disable ESP on JK Wranglers when you need it because of using bigger tires.
I went to 35" tires and 3.5" lift on my JK and I can confirm that at this configuration ESP is a problem and engages at sharp turns. So I had to switch it off permanently. My friend who has just 2" lift and went from 32" tires to 33" on his JK Rubicon had never any issues.
For more details regarding Jeep, ESP and larger tires, see for example here: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/stock-...e-pavment.html

I don't think there can be any problems using just 1" larger tires on LX or Land Cruiser.
Old 01-15-18, 12:07 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

There is no report on either club Lexus or I8mud which is dedicated Toyota/Lexus websites of larger tires causing any problem with the ESP or ABS all problems reported is if you buy a tire that’s too large to fit in the wheel well without lifting your vehicle . Both these websites have hundreds and hundreds of owners of 200 series LCs/LX’s that use their vehicles to the fullest.
Old 01-15-18, 12:22 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by pizdets17
This picture sure makes the truck look stock. The only way you can say "ABS works" is if you tested the stopping distance on both vehicles with the different tires. Im sure it would work with 24's on it too. But would it work as well ask an oem setup? Even tough you already seem to have all the answers, I doubt you can make this claim without performing a test like this.
I have never claimed to have all the answers.

I have doubted, though, claims that tires more than 3% different in diameter from one set to the other, will result in a combination of the Second Coming and armageddon. Anecdotal evidence comes not even close in supporting that theory. ABS always works if all tires have the same diameter, assuming the sizes are from Toyota's oem sizes to whatever you can reasonably shove under the fenders, with or without a lift kit. Theories are normally proven by anecdotal evidence, which in this case indicates that ABS function will not be compromised as long as all 4 wheels lock up. Stopping distance definitely pends more on tire type than how long it takes ABS to work. Read the 2 posts below, particularly the one from MAX707.

When anecdotal evidence doesn't demonstrate a theory, the theory simply remains a theory. Google "Occam's Razor" and go from there. Glad you got the your tires .

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
Based on my practical Jeep experiences: Slightly larger tires with a small lift (or no lift) is not a problem (that means going from 31 or 32" tires to 33" tires and 2" lift). When you go to 35 or 37" tires and 3.5" lift and higher, you usually want to disable ESP because it can make you a lot of troubles while driving on paved roads. ABS still works fine, there are no known problems with ABS and bigger tires. Jeep allows you permanently disable ESP on JK Wranglers when you need it because of using bigger tires.
I went to 35" tires and 3.5" lift on my JK and I can confirm that at this configuration ESP is a problem and engages at sharp turns. So I had to switch it off permanently. My friend who has just 2" lift and went from 32" tires to 33" on his JK Rubicon had never any issues.
For more details regarding Jeep, ESP and larger tires, see for example here: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/stock-...e-pavment.html

I don't think there can be any problems using just 1" larger tires on LX or Land Cruiser.

There is no report on either club Lexus or I8mud which is dedicated Toyota/Lexus websites of larger tires causing any problem with the ESP or ABS all problems reported is if you buy a tire that’s too large to fit in the wheel well without lifting your vehicle . Both these websites have hundreds and hundreds of owners of 200 series LCs/LX’s that use their vehicles to the fullest.
Hate to say it, but that may not make a difference if one's head is up in a place where one cannot hear.

Steve

Last edited by hankinid; 01-15-18 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 01:11 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Well I guess I am in the minority that bought a Lexus to use as a family hauler and not a rock crawler, with OEM specs. Going to go enjoy my dead silent vibration free ride to work. Notice in the original post all I asked was which tire, not which tire size and this thread as usual forum threads go, went way off topic. Either way I thank everyone for their input. I've been a member here for many years and this forum is a great resource.
Old 01-15-18, 06:56 PM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisleduc
Tell us more about your experience with those tires.
So I went back to use my 21” wheels with the dunlops just coz I didn’t have time to order the Ko2s and researching which tire shop to buy them from. Yes I the one who would be reading all the reviews and increase radius of my search until Its become too far and go back to square one. Anyways, after enjoying the 33” Michelin Defenders on 20” wheels, the oem setup on 21” wheels feels too delicate for such a vehicle. To be fair, the ride is still great just less cushiony than with the 33s and ofcourse you feel less confident that you could go over anything. Even the looks of it, you can say its undertired. I won’t keep them for long though and need to experience the KO2s soon. Next step is to conduct onsite visits to tireshops.
The following users liked this post:
mikeivan (01-16-18)