LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Suggestions for new Generation LX

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 12:05 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by BVan570
I could be in the minority on this, but I would like for them to actually make the LX a little bigger. Right now it doesn't look or feel that much larger than a GX, especially since Lexus seems to be putting the same front ends on all the vehicles. They could use the Sequoia as a platform so that you could use the 3rd row and still have enough storage space to carry more than one set of golf clubs.

You can't compare the reliability of Lexus/Toyota to most other manufacturers. My 09' LX has over 200k miles on it and my 02' Tundra has 295k miles and both are running strong with the original motors and transmissions. We had a 99' and 07' Escalade, and both had to have their trans replaced at 100k miles, which seemed to hold true for most full size GM truck and SUVs that weren't HDs.
With all seats folded, a GX has ~60 cu ft of storage, the LX around 80 cu ft. Maybe you should check out a Suburban or Denali? I've had both in the past, and there's definitely "more room"...there's also less reliability and the LX is far easier to drive off-road. And as you wrote, count on a new trans around 100K...been there and done that.
Old 01-08-18, 05:50 PM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
LED headlights are standard now. The problem is that they are not adaptive (turning to curves).
Good to know. Curious to know why the new headlights are not adaptive?
Old 01-08-18, 08:27 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
With all seats folded, a GX has ~60 cu ft of storage, the LX around 80 cu ft. Maybe you should check out a Suburban or Denali? I've had both in the past, and there's definitely "more room"...there's also less reliability and the LX is far easier to drive off-road. And as you wrote, count on a new trans around 100K...been there and done that.
What about Sequoia? Much more room than LX and the reliability is pretty good. I still own my 2008 Sequoia and had just one problem - water pump at about 40k miles (known issue).
Old 01-08-18, 09:41 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
What about Sequoia? Much more room than LX and the reliability is pretty good. I still own my 2008 Sequoia and had just one problem - water pump at about 40k miles (known issue).
Sequoias are great trucks. 120 sq. ft. of storage is 50% more than a 200.

But not made in Japan with 100% Japanese content, including the engine. Series 200 build quality and design is reflected in the price to play as well as resell, and bullet proof reliability.
Old 01-09-18, 06:14 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
many here wont be ready for whats coming. youve already gotten a taste of it with LC F coming and LS500.
Care to elaborate? have any info abut future LX??
Old 01-09-18, 06:58 AM
BVan570
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
You're right that Suburbans and the like have more room, but like you said, they're less reliable and not as good off road, which is why I wish there was a larger option in the Lexus stable. Some of the new top tier Sequoias are very nice and reliable. My 02' Tundra (same platform) has 295k miles on it, and it's never left me stranded on the side of the road. I actually had an 01' Tundra that I rolled over and I was still able to drive it home. All that being said, I'd still like to see a Lexus based on the Sequoia platform, even if they call it something else... maybe an LXL or XL-LX
Old 03-18-18, 01:51 PM
KayH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add a trailer brake controller, at a minimum pre wire the change box with a plug for an add on controller.
Tow/Haul mode
Add a dash cam, at a minimum a switch for easy wiring in the accessible area to the left of the steering column.There are enough cameras add data and recording features.
Provide access to factory service manuals
Touch Pad controller
Do Not Change the Reliability!
I passed on the Sequoia, Tahoe and Suburban as once I added the 4 wheel drive I had too little cargo capacity available.
Old 03-18-18, 03:42 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

MORE COMFORTABLE FRONT SEATS. I would have already replaced my 2011 with a new model, but the seats just don't fit me and are uncomfortable on day long drives. If Lexus would put decent seats in the LX I would trade in my Audi S8 tomorrow, but on long trips, the LX just can't compare to seating comfort of the S8.
Old 03-23-18, 06:12 AM
winglesss
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KayH
Provide access to factory service manuals.
This reply shows how to access the genuine OEM FSM.
Old 03-23-18, 01:04 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
MORE COMFORTABLE FRONT SEATS. I would have already replaced my 2011 with a new model, but the seats just don't fit me and are uncomfortable on day long drives. If Lexus would put decent seats in the LX I would trade in my Audi S8 tomorrow, but on long trips, the LX just can't compare to seating comfort of the S8.
are you too big are you too small you have a bad back little more detail so we can understand better
Old 03-24-18, 08:28 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KayH
Add a trailer brake controller, at a minimum pre wire the change box with a plug for an add on controller.
Tow/Haul mode
Add a dash cam, at a minimum a switch for easy wiring in the accessible area to the left of the steering column.There are enough cameras add data and recording features.
Provide access to factory service manuals
Touch Pad controller
Do Not Change the Reliability!
I passed on the Sequoia, Tahoe and Suburban as once I added the 4 wheel drive I had too little cargo capacity available.
When you buy the brake controller, ask for one with a Toyota cable...you'll plug it in under the steering wheel toward the right. Removal and replacement of plastic is a 10 minute job. Your truck should have come with a cable from the rear connector to the trailer.

Tow / Haul...Towing Basics 101...Keep the trans in manual lockup mode. Do not haul in "D" unless you're on a level road. If you're in the mountains, shift manually and save your brakes. "PWR" mode can also help in slow curvy roads.

Factory service manuals are on the internet.

Reliability will not change until / unless the truck stops being made in Japan with 100% Japanese parts content, including the complete drive train.

I don't understand the comment on reduced cargo capacity..."I passed on the Sequoia, Tahoe and Suburban as once I added the 4 wheel drive I had too little cargo capacity available'. Having had multiple Suburbans, they're the same size inside, with the front axle and transfer case the only additions to a 2wd truck.
[/QUOTE]
Old 03-26-18, 11:07 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I second the suggestion for captain's chairs. The difficulty of third row access, with the need to flip a second row seat forward for an adult to get back there, is my #1 complaint.

It would also be nice to go back to having an easy way to remove the third row outright and reinstall it.

Finally, I'd love a hybrid powertrain. I think it could be fantastic off road (let the electric motor pull you at crawl speeds!) and it would help address city fuel economy. I'm getting just 11 mpg so far in hilly Seattle around-town driving; I knew the city fuel economy would be bad, but not this bad. (Highway trips are tolerable at 18-20 mpg.)
Old 03-26-18, 02:57 PM
ndmiller
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dal20402
Finally, I'd love a hybrid powertrain
Batteries would add weight and my baby already has a weight problem. Just don't tell her I told you.
Old 03-26-18, 08:36 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ndmiller
Batteries would add weight and my baby already has a weight problem. Just don't tell her I told you.
The LS 600hL is a seriously big girl for a full-size sedan and still a dream to drive. I think an LX 600h would be the same.
Old 03-27-18, 12:39 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707

are you too big are you too small you have a bad back little more detail so we can understand better
Not over weight for a 75 year old, not real big, not real small, the seats just aren't near as comfortable as in my Audi S8. Recently drove a Cayanne and seats in that also way more comfortable than the last two LX's I've had. For one, I can't get the seat low enough to satisfy me.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for new Generation LX