LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Navigation concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17, 09:35 AM
petepuma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation concerns

Has anyone had to replace the navigation and or radio? I'm looking at 09-11's and it looks like a replacing both is about 3k, which would **** me off. It's my understanding that you can't swap in an aftermarket unit because of the climate controls but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-17, 10:47 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

If you are only concerned that the Nav is cumbersome and want to use an iPad Mini 4G w/Waze instead
then just change the "Auto Screen Change" to Off and leave the Radio Display up.

If the unit is inoperative then you would seem to be hard up against a rocky place. The head unit is
integral to nearly everything you mentioned, Safety Connect if a 2010 or 2011, personalization settings
for damn near everything plus the climate and radio.
Old 12-22-17, 03:36 PM
petepuma
Driver School Candidate

That's my problem. I don't want to be in position where I need to drop that kind of coin if something were to go south. Although I loved my Lx470 I'm finding it hard to justify an LX570 over a Yukon Denali. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-22-17, 06:04 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by petepuma
Has anyone had to replace the navigation and or radio? I'm looking at 09-11's and it looks like a replacing both is about 3k, which would **** me off. It's my understanding that you can't swap in an aftermarket unit because of the climate controls but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks in advance.
There's already a thread on this page as to swapping the oem head unit for an Android unit.

Originally Posted by petepuma
That's my problem. I don't want to be in position where I need to drop that kind of coin if something were to go south. Although I loved my Lx470 I'm finding it hard to justify an LX570 over a Yukon Denali. Thanks for the info.
Up to you if you want to drop the extra $$$$ for an LX...apples and oranges, and I had 15 years of Suburbans and Denalis. Anything can go south; if you check reliability ratings anywhere it's obvious much more southerly with a GM truck v. a Toyota.
Old 12-23-17, 10:50 AM
petepuma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
There's already a thread on this page as to swapping the oem head unit for an Android unit.

Yes but someone said it can't be swapped. Do you know if that applies for both ML and non ML systems?

Up to you if you want to drop the extra $$$$ for an LX...apples and oranges, and I had 15 years of Suburbans and Denalis. Anything can go south; if you check reliability ratings anywhere it's obvious much more southerly with a GM truck v. a Toyota.
I know they aren't as reliable but I usually trade my cars out around 100k anyway.
​​​​
Old 12-24-17, 01:21 PM
Gordj
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So your biggest concern is the possible failure of the Nav screen? Not the engine or the ECM but the Nav screen? Not the transmission or the abs system but the Nav screen? Makes sense to me. I wouldn’t even consider a $30,000 vehicle that could have a Nav screen failure in its future.
Old 12-25-17, 07:44 AM
petepuma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gordj
So your biggest concern is the possible failure of the Nav screen? Not the engine or the ECM but the Nav screen? Not the transmission or the abs system but the Nav screen? Makes sense to me. I wouldn’t even consider a $30,000 vehicle that could have a Nav screen failure in its future.

I know it might not make sense to you but that's why it's important to make sure we have all the info before passing judgment. The exclusionary aftermarket warranty's I buy for all my cars are basically bumper to bumper warranties with a few exclusions. The most expensive exclusions would be the navigation. Hence my questions on reliability and replacement options if the navigation was to crap out on me. I just like to understand what risks I'm taking before I take them. Makes sense, no?
Old 12-25-17, 07:01 PM
Gordj
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is why I hate the internet sometimes. I make a perfect, snarky post that shows how incredibly witty I am and then I get slapped around like a little xxxxxx.
I have never bought warranties and I would never have considered why you would worry about the Nav. My apologies, you make way more sense now. Sorry for the side track.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-17, 07:49 PM
petepuma
Driver School Candidate

Lol, no worries it's all good. Merry Christmas as well.
Old 12-26-17, 11:43 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

NAV systems are very reliable but if you want to buy a GMC product I’m sure it would serve you well for 100,000 mile and then after that then come back and buy an LX drive it for 100,000 and let us know which one you think is best.
Old 12-26-17, 03:41 PM
petepuma
Driver School Candidate

Arrow

Originally Posted by Max707
NAV systems are very reliable but if you want to buy a GMC product I’m sure it would serve you well for 100,000 mile and then after that then come back and buy an LX drive it for 100,000 and let us know which one you think is best.

That's good to hear and thats the feedback I'm looking for.

Dont take my willingness to buy a Yukon as an attack on the 570. I don't need to be convinced on the LX. I had an LX 470 so I know the 570 is going to be built better than the GMC, no contest. I might be partial to GM because I already have a Tahoe and Cts-v which have been equally reliable as my 470 was. But again, I'm not concerned about how long the truck will last, I only care about the navigation lasting. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the nav to last 10 years, but that's just my opinion that's supported by zero facts. That's why I came here to get some feedback from people who actually own the truck.

Think of it this way, if I was put in the position to buy the LX and the navigation for 3k or buy the Yukon and slap a blower on it for 7k, I'm not sure the LX is such a slam dunk for me when I look at it that way. Just wish there was an aftermarket option on these trucks.
Old 12-26-17, 08:16 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

The nav isn't going to die on you. Do a search on ih8mud.com for failed nav systems and you won't be concerned. Buy a 200 series and keep it for 15+ years and over 300k miles with just Lexus recommended maintance. That's where the LX shines. The chief engineer for Toyota states the LC/LX is built and engineered to last 25 years in a 3rd world country. GM builds to last until the warranty expires. LMAO. Sorry do the research on MUD these guys beat the crap out of their LC/LX's and they just keep going. I would say these vehicles are the most reliable best built and highest quality vehicles made period. You drive your Range Rover to the Mall, they drive the LC/LX in Africa and the deserts of North Africa where if your vehicle breaks down you die. If you are just going to keep it while it's under warranty get the GM or Range Rover. If you like reliability and dependablity and quality and don't need the latest high tech item get the LX.
Old 12-27-17, 04:39 AM
mdjackson2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The nav isn't going to die on you. Do a search on ih8mud.com for failed nav systems and you won't be concerned. Buy a 200 series and keep it for 15+ years and over 300k miles with just Lexus recommended maintance. That's where the LX shines. The chief engineer for Toyota states the LC/LX is built and engineered to last 25 years in a 3rd world country. GM builds to last until the warranty expires. LMAO. Sorry do the research on MUD these guys beat the crap out of their LC/LX's and they just keep going. I would say these vehicles are the most reliable best built and highest quality vehicles made period. You drive your Range Rover to the Mall, they drive the LC/LX in Africa and the deserts of North Africa where if your vehicle breaks down you die. If you are just going to keep it while it's under warranty get the GM or Range Rover. If you like reliability and dependablity and quality and don't need the latest high tech item get the LX.
Great synopsis!
Old 12-27-17, 11:27 AM
petepuma
Driver School Candidate

I'll check that site out some more, thanks.